QSD-1 vs Tate II vs Fosgate 3610

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwight

QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003

The following quote is taken from an on line chat with Jim Fosgate over at the AVS
forum that took place in 2000.

“Do different listeners listen for “different things” in a surround sound field?
I think the answer is a most definite “yes”. I remember my early work with MR Wes Wruggles, the man behind the Tate Quad decoder, and MR Peter Schieber, the man who was first to the patent office with Matrix technology. Wes wanted to hear the highest separation we could get on that decoder, and the fact we were into some artifacts to get it didn’t bother him very much. He much preferred high separation at all costs. I finally talked him into including an ‘alternate logic” position on the “Tate” that slowed the logic a bit and removed some of the artifacts. I preferred the slower position.

When I started working with Peter on the Fosgate 3601 decoder I found that he was almost the opposite of Wes. Peter could hear the slightest modulation or anomalies and could not stand to listen to it. He was a classical musician and new how he wanted his music to sound. I remember when we were adjusting the 3601 decoder together; he kept hearing problems when I thought they were at the vanishing point. We had to adjust this decoder to compromise some separation in order to get rid of all the decoding side effects and keep things very smooth.”

I found this anecdote simple but profound, because we all listen for different things, and decide to purchase things based our special wants. What I want may not be what you want! My special wants began in 1963 when I heard the best sound I had ever heard in my life, and it just happened to be a 7 channel surround system at the Cinerama Town Theater in Baltimore. I was so stunned by what I heard that I traveled to the Cinerama Uptown Theater in Washington D.C. and the Cinerama Boyd Theater in Philadelphia to determine if the sound was equally spectacular. It was close but not as good as the Town sound system. The thought occurred to me while sitting in the Town theater before my 6th encounter with “How The West Was Won”, that this was just a big room and a super audio system which could, one day, be duplicated albeit on a smaller scale. I set out to understand why this particular sound system was so obviously superior and I was successful in gleaning that information which sent me down the mysterious road to high resolution surround. So at 16 my aural obsession began and I am happy to say that the equipment that I am discussing helped me to obtain my special wants.

Two of the three processors in this review are too familiar to QQ members, and I’m sure interest has gone south about the subject of their relative synthesizing ability, however the other unit, the Fosgate Space Matrix 3610 is Peter Schieber’s final statement regarding his Space Matrix technology and is an almost unknown entity on the QQ board, and so I feel it needs to be placed in proper perspective.

The Sansui Type A Variomatrix(VM) is represented here by a QuadBob QSD-1 that has been recently acquired. The Tate II SQ 101A is also a QB recapped and calibrated unit that has been in my possession since 1980. It is an early production unit and purchased shortly after the Tate was first introduced. The Fosgate Space Matrix 3610(SM) is stock, circa 1986, and has been in my possession for those twenty plus years. Just as a side note, I have also pulled out of my dustbin a Fosgate DSL-2, a Fosgate model 4, and a Rockford Fosgate RFQ5000 DPL II to refresh my aural memory as to the “why’s” of my peculiar dustbin. Only the RFQ5000 could possibly compete, IMHO, with the three units in question and I will allude to its attractive qualities later.

All three of these primary units produce seemingly discreet sound fields from two channel sources. The QSD-1 and Tate have synthesizer positions and the 3610 has a wide mode button for maximum separation. To a different degree, each decoder sends the hard right and left stereo signals to the right and left rear speakers, however it’s what’s up front that counts and this is where the units differ, with the VM and the SM being very similar as opposed to the Tate which is a different beast altogether. If one turns the rear output of the Tate off completely, one hears from the front speakers a consistently strange virtually monophonic signal with tiny glints of small right and left high frequency bursts. There are a lot of aural tricks going on here, with the rear channels apparently providing most of the directional information to our brains. If you turn the rear channels off on the VM and the SM you hear what could easily be accepted as a normal stereo signal up front. When the rear channels are brought back into play, the three units reassemble the signal into what sounds like a discreet sound field with different degrees of apparent separation and focus.

The Tate is for me the least satisfying synthesizer. There is always a very strong center front signal and plenty of right and left rear information from the Tate, but the unit seems to imply a front right to front left signal spread rather than actually producing one. Also, the Tate seems to consistently curtail reverberating space. But if the Tate is the least satisfying synthesizer, it redeems itself by being a spectacular SQ decoder. If you turn the rear channels off when listening in the SQ mode to SQ material, you do hear a full front stereo spread.. Turn the rear channels back on and you would swear you are listening to a discreet source. All of my SQ recordings were presented with unwavering fidelity and a solid three dimensional sound field that took my breath away at times, and made me wish that I had a much larger SQ collection.

The QB modified QSD-1 does for most stereo recordings what the Tate does for SQ recordings. Going through an entire stereo collection shouting “Eureka” after each cut is not out of the question with this unit in place, you simply can’t get enough. If you listen to any McCartney album you will be astonished by sound movement and placement with a rightness that seems to be planned by God himself rather than some random effect. For instance, cut four on McCartney’s TUG OF WAR is “What’s That You’re Doing?”, and it is spectacular under VM synthesis. All four channels are churning simultaneously with vocals positioned left, right and center up front with very hot instrumentals in the surrounds. Through the Tate the opening vocal pans hard right rear at first with all of the remaining vocals steered front center only. The entire back and forth across the front spread is lost entirely. Disc after disc produced similar results. Cut three from McCartney’s PRESS TO PLAY ends up losing the right to left play also. Cut three, ‘Talk More Talk”, opens with voices emenating from the four corners through the VM and the SM, but through the Tate all the front voices are relegated to front center. A lot of the fun is lost. The VM and the SM consistently produced a free flowing unrestricted sound field with an almost limitless sense of depth and width plus very high transparency, while the Tate produced a sort of triangular sound field that tended to collapse toward one of the two rear speakers. Even when moving around within the VM sound field, imaging remained solid. Standing between the front right and rear right speakers the front and rear signals were completely distinct. Doing the same with the Tate did not produce as satisfying a result. Of course the QSD-1 is also a QS decoder, but I cannot say that my meager QS collection fared very well. Even the QS DARK SIDE OF THE MOON obtained from Quad Bob could not be called overly impressive in the QS mode. This of course is the fault of the software not the magical QB QSD-1.

The Fosgate SM 3610 acts in almost the same fashion as the VM of The QSD-1 when listening in four channel wide mode. There is a broad frontal stereo image and very discreet panning to the rear channels with plenty of ambience. In fact, instruments and vocals were almost placed in identical fashion. Although discreet sounding, it is not quite as specific as the VM and leaves just the slightest sense of ambiguity on some recordings. The stock 3610 is far more satisfying than the Tate from almost every standpoint except of course SQ. It can place sounds in the four corners and everywhere else without ever negating the rest of the sound field. It is, after twenty plus years, perfectly transparent and sounds superior to the Tate from the standpoint of maintaining the purity of the original signal. Switching back and forth between the stereo input and the updated Tate one can hear a subtle shift in sound character. This is not the case with the 3610 or with the updated QSD-1. The 3610 is also a five or seven channel device with a derived center channel for watching movies in DPL. At the moment, a 3602, 3608, or 3610 can be had for around a hundred dollars. They are not quite the equal of the best VM, but they are close and are superior to all the other Fosgate incarnations. These units can really put sound into those back corners without messing up the front image. Even though the Fosgate RFQ5000 DPL II, is beautifully transparent, it really doesn’t put the sound in the back corners the way I like. It is a very easy processor to listen to and is not exactly a slouch form the standpoint of discreetness, but as has been alluded to several times on this board, it doesn’t seem to reach for those back channels. The Fosgate DSL 2 is sonically identical to the DSL 3A, which I once had in my possession, and along with the Fosgate Model four are not in the same league with the 3610. These units are discreet, but produce an audible warbling artifact that is, to me, annoying. The fact that this artifact appears in all three Digital Servo Logic units indicates to me that I’m not dealing with an aberrant issue, but something systemic to the DSL technology.

Here is the result of a sacrilegious experiment. If you use the front outputs of the QSD-1 and the rear outputs of the Tate, both in the surround mode, the result is sometimes an event superior to using the QSD-1 alone. Sometimes!

To sum up, If you can afford a unit with a Type A Variomatrix, preferably recapped with blend resistors removed, there is no possibility that you will be disappointed. Go for it! If you have a large SQ collection, the Tate is the only answer. If you do not have a large SQ or QS collection and can’t afford a Tate or type A VM and are interested in spectacular two channel synthesis, a Fosgate 3602, 08, or 10 will, in IMHO, bring you more pleasure than any DPL II or other Fosgate variant around. Get the real thing if you can, if you can't, than the 3610 is as close to VM synthesizing as you can get without spending hundreds if not a thousand dollars. We’re lucky aren’t we?
Thank You,
Dwight

Last edited:
Great post dwight!:sun Exciting bit of news for those who cant afford a D-1. I suspect that any 3610's that come up on ebay will be a hot item till some systems get rounded out.

Thank you dwight for that informative post! I have printed out a copy to keep:eek:

I have seen the Matrix 3610 listed on ebay from time to time but whenever I asked questions about it I was told not to bother with it.
Your test results show otherwise.

I am curious if you ever got a chance to try out that other Fosgate decoder, the Space and Image Composer. If not, maybe you could borrow one from QuadBob. I would be curious to know how it compares in synthesizer mode to the other decoders as well as your thoughts of its SQ decoding ability compared to the Tate.

Jeff

Great post. I myself have done some similar comparisons, however I don't have a SM 3610. The DSL units do have variability unit to unit imo, as I have heard what you are referring to on some. But on others, I honestly can't detect that effect. I had my 3A restored by Bob Popham, and it is incredible, imo. I may get a 3610 as this has piqued my curiosity. The QS VM technology is very impressive, but I don't like the center of the stereo image being spread to all four channels. The Fosgate units keep the center very solidly up front. I agree with your conclusions on the 101a. I also have the RFQ5000, and boy it is disappointing as far as rear discreteness. All DPLII decoders are like this. With encoded material they really shine, but with stereo material they just don't put a discrete signal in the back corners. The best digital synthesizer however is the DPLIIx Game mode. Not quite as discrete, but getting there. Thanks for sharing!

Indeed an excellent post!!!
I for one agree 100% with you're findings. I use the Tate 101 exclusively for SQ decoding, and the QSD-1 for synthesizing stereo sources and decoding QS material.
Great article!!!

I want to thanks you guys, I really appreciate your response. When I first joined QQ I noticed a bit of confusion about the 3610. This unit has seven outputs, but in order to use it as a four or five channel synthesizer you must ignore the rear channels, which only carry the required Dolby signal, and tap the side channel outputs because that's where the Space Matrix steering logic is applied. The literature that came with the 3610 explains this, but I have seen this information ignored even in a magazine review. The 3608 is a five channel unit and the 3602 is the first Fosgate seven channel class A processor with an emphasis on the frontal sound stage when compared with the 3610......... And Jeff, I heard QBob's Space and Image Composer at the QuadShack and to me it sounded like a top notch Tate II.
Thanks again guys,
Dwight

Hi Dwight, your tests have caused me to wonder about something regarding the Tate. When mine was restored by Bob Popham, he recommended using it in SQ mode for all decoding and synthesizing, as it is the most discrete setting. I run all my stereo music and tv movies through the SQ setting, and get excellent results. I haven't encountered the artifacts you are describing, although the only comparisons I have been able to make have been with a Fosgate Model 4, which was quite good, and the Fosgate RFQ 5000, which also was decent. I will probably look into a DSM 3610, I see that they go for reasonable amounts. I just was curious whether you tried any synthesising in the SQ mode, and how that fared. It may be that Bob Popham made some significant improvements to my unit, he was one of the original people involved in it, and he sent me back a bag full of parts he replaced.

Thanks again for posting this useful information and for your response Dwight.
Based upon your post I jumped on a DSM 3610 that showed up on Ebay for very cheap, and comes with the remote and manual. For the low cost, it is worth checking out as an extra decoder or to setup in another system. I know other people here differ but based upon your tests, it seems there is no need to get a Tate if one does not have a large SQ collection....
When I get the 3610 I'll hook it up and see what happens.

Sandy, I've tried using the SQ position for synth but have never been satisfied with the result; the sound field is just not as distinct or smooth to me. To give you an example, on the McCartney album I referred to TUG OF WAR, cut 7 "The Pound Is Sinking", opens with a smooth 180 degree money effect pan in both the surround modes of the Tate and QSD-1. In the SQ mode on the Tate this effect is lost. In fact, I can't think of a 180 degree pan that's retained in the SQ position from any stereo disc that I have. Of course this is to be expected when you think about the way SQ extracts those rear channels, anyway that is why I prefer the 3610 and the QSD-1, they provide very smooth, distinct, and clear directional panning when present in the recording.

Jefe1, if you get that 3610 please let us know and post your findings after you play with it, and remember to ignore the rear outputs and to play around with the logic button and the center channel....I have rarely used the center channel output..also yes, if you do not have a SQ collection, there is no need for a Tate, but If you have a SQ collection, you cannot live without a Tate, in my opinion. The type A Variomatrix or a Space Matrix 3610 or 3602 would be a more satisfying fun investment with the VM being the penultimate. Good luck!
Dwight

John, I have the original papers (couldn't be called a manual) that came with my 3610. It's almost identical to the 3602 paper except for the recommendation to use the "logic" button when listening to music. Fosgate suggests just the opposite for the 3602. If you'd like a copy PM me.
Dwight

If you listen to any McCartney album you will be astonished by sound movement and placement with a rightness that seems to be planned by God himself rather than some random effect.

I was wondering if there is a difference in listening experience when the source is vinyl or CD?
For example, Paul McCartney TUG OF WAR or PRESS TO PLAY on LP or on CD, any differences?
Thanks,
Clemens

Dear Clemens, I have not compared the records to the discs, however I can say that whenever in the past I have been able to compare record and CD..The CD always has always won.
Dwight

Back