Quad Christmas albums

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, It's not the album you have pictured. Maybe 4 tracks might be the same.

Christmas At York Minster - Label = Music from York = HAR 846 Ambisonic UHJ encoded

Thanks, it does say extra tracks were recorded in 1991 for the CD release, doesn't say if they were stereo or UHJ though....

I second the recommendation for Christmas Extraordinaire by Mannheim on DVDA.

By a lucky coincidence I visited a thrift store I hadn't been to for a while and found a sealed copy of the Noel! Noel! quad album for $2! I had been looking for this on the bay and there are two copies there. I also found a dbx lp that lists for $100 and a few other classical quads so not a bad haul!

Hadn't revisited this thread in a while, but definitely aware of some that weren't mentioned the first time around:

Various Artists - The Children at Christmas (Salvation Army QS)
Various Artists - The Angels Sing (Salvation Army QS)
Various Artists - A Christmas Party With The Stars (Columbia Special Products SQ) (quad status not confirmed)
Hans Wurman - Electric Nutcracker (Ovation QS)
Philip Ledger/Academy of St Martin-in-the-Fields - Bach: Christmas Oratorio (Angel SQ)
Eugene Ormandy/Philadelphia Orchestra - Nutcracker Suite (RCA CD-4)
Philip Ledger/King's College Choir - Carols for Christmas Eve (EMI SQ) (UK)
Edward Heath/English Chamber Orchestra - The Joy of Christmas (EMI SQ) (UK)
Liverpool Philharmonic - A Song for Christmas (EMI SQ) (UK)

These albums are not Christmas per se, but do contain Christmas-themed selections:
Iranian Radio Chamber Orchestra - Torelli: Christmas Concerto (Angel SQ)
Othmar Maga/Bochum Symphony - Rimsky-Korsakov: Christmas Eve Suite (Turnabout QS)
Jean Martinon/French National Radio Orchestra - Honegger: Christmas Cantata (Connoisseur Society cassette)

The AIX All Stars Surrounded by Christmas is an excellent 96/24 DVD audio (and video) jazz/folk instrumental Christmas disc. Wonderful!

The AIX All Stars Surrounded by Christmas is an excellent 96/24 DVD audio (and video) jazz/folk instrumental Christmas disc. Wonderful!

AIX All Stars is one of my favorites. Here's another:

Attachments

• AldrichChristmas.jpg
    AldrichChristmas.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 200
If you are into electronic then there is this one....
http://kasiokristmas.com/releases/kasio-kristmas-dvd/

you gotta be kidding?
not enough that terrible sound made even worst by DD, on top of this video will scare shit out of one,
who decide to watch it on christmas eve :mad:@:
we're talking here about christmas, not halloween, isn't?

AIX All Stars is one of my favorites. Here's another:

i'm second to recommend this one as well.
not my favorite due to jazzy treatment but must admit soundwise it just perfect like almost everything
comes from mr. Waldrep and AIX.

you gotta be kidding?
not enough that terrible sound made even worst by DD, on top of this video will scare shit out of one,
who decide to watch it on christmas eve :mad:@:
we're talking here about christmas, not halloween, isn't?

Yes - it's "Cheesy".. but it's just a bit of fun..... :eek:

FYI - It has a DTS track, no MLP so I guess you definitely won't be getting it then? :D

Johnny Mathis Christmas Album (Multichannel/Stereo) [Super Audio CD - DSD]

Amazon U.S. : http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Mul...ny-Mathis/dp/B00007FMUQ/ref=ntt_mus_dp_dpt_15

That's a good one. Speaking of SACDs for Christmas, don't forget:
  • Barry Manilow - A Christmas Gift of Love - Surround SACD (Columbia CS 86976)
  • The Manhattan Transfer - Christmas Album - Stereo SACD (Columbia CS 52968)
  • Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas - Stereo SACD (Fantasy FSA-8431-6)

A Charlie Brown Christmas is also out on a Monster surround DVD-V:
dvd_mm_vince_guaraldi_lg.jpg

That's a good one. Speaking of SACDs for Christmas, don't forget:
  • Barry Manilow - A Christmas Gift of Love - Surround SACD (Columbia CS 86976)
  • The Manhattan Transfer - Christmas Album - Stereo SACD (Columbia CS 52968)
  • Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas - Stereo SACD (Fantasy FSA-8431-6)

Here I was, so proud of myself for finding that Columbia Special Products had released the same album with two different names even though the catalog ID's were still the same ('Admiral Presents' and 'Noel! Noel!' - see above). Turns out they did it a THIRD time, though they at least changed the cover. Again, no indication of quad on the label, but it's same catalog ID, same content - just a different frame on the same picture. Still, it's another release to sniff out at garage sales and thrift shops! (Also note that they did a similar album for Cokesbury the year before with a different lineup & cover but the same simple title. Caveat Emptor!)
CSP PQ 12482 v3[1].jpg

Hello quadraphiles,
I can add two more titles, which are not listed above:
- Bach: Weihnachtsoratorium with Altmeyer, McDaniel, Tölzer Knabenchor, Collegium Aureum (orchestra), Schmidt-Gaden (cond.) in a three LP Box (deutsche harmonia mundi a.k.a emi: 1C 153-99 640/42 Q, Germany) (SQ)
weihnachtschmidtgadenklein.jpg
- "Fröhliche Weihnachten wünscht Anneliese Rothenberger" ("Merry Christmas from Anneliese Rothenberger"), with Rothenberger (soprano), Symphonie-Orchester Graunke, Graunke (cond.), one LP (SQ) from EMI Electrola (1C 062-29 499 Q, Germany)
weihnachtenrothenberger.JPG
Greetings,
stokowski

Not only did Mannheim Steamroller Release Christmas Extraordinaire on DVD-A in 5.1 but they also did their best of Christmas Celebration album on DVD-A in 5.1 as well. For that one they went back and remixed into 5.1 songs from all four of the Christmas albums at the time. I enjoy it enough to wish they would remix all of their Christmas stuff in surround.

Not only did Mannheim Steamroller Release Christmas Extraordinaire on DVD-A in 5.1 but they also did their best of Christmas Celebration album on DVD-A in 5.1 as well. For that one they went back and remixed into 5.1 songs from all four of the Christmas albums at the time. I enjoy it enough to wish they would remix all of their Christmas stuff in surround.

Two of my very favorite Christmas albums which I make a point to play every year. Amazing arrangements, sonics, 5.1 surround mixes........what more can one ask for?

5cbdce18004240baafe2aa750eb1cc31

https://www.amazon.com/CHRISTMAS-CELEBRATION-Mannheim-Steamroller/dp/B0002S65Y0/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1541547553&sr=1-1&keywords=Mannheim+Steamroller+DVD~Audio

mannheim_steamroller_christmas_extraordinaire.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Mannheim-Ste...r=1-3&keywords=Mannheim+Steamroller+DVD~Audio

Last edited:
Back