Quad Discoveries In My Own Collection

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
So I have thousands of unorganized records. I was. getting some of them stored better and ready for when I eventually move again. I was putting them in Itso cubes (target sells these, and they are perfect for record storage). I found some gems I didn't even know I had. These were from goodwill finds that I bought for 99 cents before I really got serious/understood about quad.

The Fisher Test & Performance Standard. (The record with the CD-4 setup tones and a couple songs on one side, and the other side has songs in SQ) WOW

Steely Dan Countdown To Ecstasy (QS) Now I can put this with my copy of Pretzel Logic

Evolution 4 Channel Music Sampler (EV4) I really wanted this, only to find I already had it. This is arguably the best EV4 record ever made. Can't wait to hear it with my EV4 decoder and the surround master.

I'm sure there are more quad discoveries in my collection because there are still a lot of records I haven't went through in a long time.

Also, feel free to post your own quad discoveries within your own collection here!

I live in an area that is pretty secluded. No major cities for miles, and for years all we could get were two TV stations and we only had one radio station. Quad was not a huge thing here because few knew about it and fewer had the money for it. One town over used to have an amazing used goods store. Dunno who ran it but they'd have juke boxes, vintage radios, telephone, televisions, gramophones, victrolas, you name it they had it. Not much Quad stuff but that is the place I found my very first Quad tape: Enoch Light's 4-Channel Sampler. Later, I discovered a Sony SQ receiver there but I didn't buy it.

A few years back, I was tearing through our local "Books & Music (and drugs out the back)" record store. It's not the greatest discovery, but I managed to locate Melissa Manchester's "Better Days and Happy Endings" in CD-4 and STILL SEALED. $7 is all I paid. Now, the record itself is not the major score, but it still makes me wonder how that record got there and where it came from. It's so rare that I find ANYTHING Quad locally.

I had kind of the same thing happen a few years ago when I came upon an Angel quad (SQ) record among my hundreds and I realized I had gotten it at either the SA or Goodwill without knowing, at the time, it was quad.

That compelled me to go through all of my recently acquired records, one by one, to search for other quad discs. I actually did find a few more. Those Angels are a bit hard to spot with the only difference, for a lot of them, being the square or round logo. You really have to look at the runout matrix to look for a "Q".

Doug

I was going through my record collection a while back and came upon a quad I didnt know I had and dont remember where I got it. A very nice copy of Cat Stevens Foreigner, which IMO, is as good a Cat Stevens Quad as there is (there's not much competition with those terrible Q8s). Yea, It must have been when I began collecting records in the 90's (I missed playing them and they were going anywhere from 10 to 50 cents a piece along with Dual turntables with Shure V15's for give away prices). I began picking up albums from the 70's because I couldnt afford them when they came out (young and no dinero). I bought one collection of several hundred classic rock records from guy for 25.00 that even had some Beatles (including a numbered White Album)! The CS might have been from that collection. Most of my records are alphabetized except the MFSL, Nautilus, DBX and CBS Half Speed Masers which I keep together. Just a side note...Last summer I was in Arizona and Denver looking in every record store I could find collecting Quad records. I estimated I found 1 Quad for every 2000 records I looked through...Those Quads you have might be a lot rarer than you think!!!

I was looking for some SQ LPs to try on the Surround Master, and I found the LP "Music to Freak Your Friends and Break Your Lease"!!

I had totally forgotten about this quad gem. I still have to drag it upstairs to try it out. I think I played it once back in the '70s. My recollections were not stellar! :)

And I still get a nagging feeling, once-in-a-while, that I should go through my entire collection again to seek out hidden quad records I may have missed.

Heck, it's just a matter of flipping through and closely inspecting a few thousand records, right? You know, looking for a "Q".

:D

Doug

Last edited:
I just found out that the MCA DiscoVision release of Fleetwood Mac is encoded in QS - it was mixed by Ken Caillet. It's not marked as such but once you hear it, there is no question its quad. Sadly I can't reveal who told me but they did say QS was chosen over SQ due to it being a Warner release and the band wanted it in quad since it was made specifically for LaserDisc. MCA would not mark it as quad for fear of scaring buyers that it might be incompatible - and with the problems they'd been having in that area, I understand.

Back