Randy Meisner, Eagles Founding Member of Eagles Dead at 77

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another tragic loss to the music community and rock fans everywhere

https://www.wfla.com/entertainment-...nd-singer-of-take-it-to-the-limit-dies-at-77/

R.21081d2f230092f031f11744181fd2ec

R.I.P. Randy

IMHO, Meisner was underrated and a MAJOR talent.

ABC World News Tonight just ran a video tribute to Randy Meisner (7/26/2013)

When I worked for CBS, I got comp tix for Meisner at a bar on Irving Pk Rd. East of Lincoln in Chicago. North Center part of Lakeview. He had just come out with an album on our Epic label. Promo is a cherished part of my collection. Couldn't make the show. A HUGE regret of mine. Bar was a few blocks from Wrigley Field, Cubby Bear and Metro, among other places.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2683412-Randy-Meisner-One-More-Song
Chinese restaurant, now closed, just down the block from that bar. Rock & Roll connection to the neon sign: Billy Corgan OWNS the Neon Sign. I ate there once. Ol' Skool Cantonese, not bad. Food and art deco innards original from 1920's.

https://www.preservationchicago.org...-outcome-for-vintage-orange-garden-neon-sign/
Sorry, Meisner fans, I may veer off topic here, but that neighborhood is rife with cool places like Martyr's. Caught lots of acts at this club, around the corner. We caught many acts at Martyrs. Including Oregon, Edie Brickell, and some local friends named the Slugs. Guitarist Dag Juhlin was group leader. He has also been in Poi Dog Pondering for 25 years. Kept looking for Paul Simon in the small club at Brickell gig!

Here's a photo shoot at Martyrs for Martin Barre Band:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6853712/
One more story about the North Center neighborhood. Part of Lakeview. Lakeview High School is a couple blocks east. Gentrification. I had an old Greystone for four years in that neighborhood, a couple doors down from Rahm Emanuel & Amy Ruhle, his wife. Rahm became our state rep before he was Chicago Mayor. He and Amy are currently in Japan, where he's US Ambassador! Rod Blagojevich was our rep before Emanuel. Local celeb Phil Ponce lived on our block, along with local native Joan Kusack.

You can't make this stuff up!!

No disrespect intended for Randy Meisner or his family RIP.

"This could only happen to me" - John Lennon

Billy Corgan OWNS the Neon Sign.
Aw, I read that as he owns it THERE, in place at the restaurant. That would be a super cool thing to do even if something else moves in there. At least he saved it from the landfill, and that is also cool.
We still have a lot of great neon art even in commercial signage.

And yeah, Randy Meisner. I admit I did not know he sang Take It To The Limit until now. I worked as a dish washer for a short time and the cook played an Eagles 8track on repeat every night. Never got tired of that song.

I've seen pix of the sign already removed. Not sure where it is now and if it's mounted. I think it might be in Corgan's Madame Zuzu's Tearoom less than a block from the site of the tragedy in downtown Highland Park, IL. Corgan also owns a shoppe in Ravinia, IL. Ravinia Festival grounds border both towns.

I'm a HUGE Eagles fan. There are a couple Bald Eagles, full grown, nesting in my neighborhood!!

Besides that, my top 3 Eagles albums are:
1- Eagles (1st) 2ch SACD!!
2- On the Border CD-4!!! Q8 too covering Tom Waits!!!
3- Hotel California DVD-A 5.1 Japan SACD, too

I was so saddened to hear of Meisner's passing.

Perhaps you Legal Eagles remember Bernie Leadon?
I posted on QQ about his Brother Tom's passing.
Tom Leadon was in a band with Tom Petty:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...her-of-eagles-co-founder-bernie-leadon.34027/

I agree, the Eagles first album on SACD is a joy.
Tons of eagles around here, sometimes I think we take them for granted.
A friend of mine rehabilitated/raised one a few years ago and wrote a book about it.
I heard a Meisner song years ago that’s been an ear worm forever.
More rock and roll. Flipped through One More Song; it’s not on there. Can’t find it on his first album either, so I’m thinking the third album but can’t find it on YouTube.

So long Randy, thanks for a lifetime of wonderful music.
IMHO, Meisner was underrated and a MAJOR talent.
I agree.
My first exposure to the Eagles was in the early 70s. I went to see
Linda Ronstadt at the Sportsman racetrack in Chicago (Cicero)
First this warm-up band came out and was blowing everyone away.
After doing half-dozen songs, Linda came out and introduced her
band as The Eagles. The rest of the concert was incredible, with Linda
singing and Eagles soaring.
If I could turn back the hands of time. :cry:

So long Randy, thanks for a lifetime of wonderful music.

I agree.
My first exposure to the Eagles was in the early 70s. I went to see
Linda Ronstadt at the Sportsman racetrack in Chicago (Cicero)
First this warm-up band came out and was blowing everyone away.
After doing half-dozen songs, Linda came out and introduced her
band as The Eagles. The rest of the concert was incredible, with Linda
singing and Eagles soaring.
If I could turn back the hands of time. :cry:
I've been a big fan of both The Eagles and Linda Ronstadt from way back. Saw The Eagles on their Hell Freezes Over Tour, good show.:)

I guess smoking marijuana is NOT good for your lungs, contrary to what many pot-smoking boomers insist. RIP.

Doug
Being alive is a dangerous proposition! But It seems like a miracle to me when rock stars last this long. Some seem like super miracles i.e. Jagger et al. Others haven’t been so fortunate.

Deserving wider attention.
BTW, the day Randy died, the whole last segment of NBC Nightly News was devoted to him. So good work, Linda! :)

Back