Realistic Modulette 8 channel tape/receiver - any good? Somebody needs parts?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VFET4ever

There is a Realistic Modulette 8 channel tape/receiver on sale (see here) or search for item 260801283648 at Ebay France (asking price 15 Euro) and I was wondering if this unit is any good/interesting. It looks a little plastic to me, no particular quality.

As I live in France and if anybody would love to have it for parts, I could offer to buy it and send you the parts, as long as I break even. The seller states that the unit is working, but that he is not able to test the tape section as he has no 8 channel tapes. Also it's an USA version at 110 Vac. Auction ends tomorrow.

cheers,
ozzy

It was an inexpensive unit to begin with, and maybe very difficult at this point to get parts for. 15 euro's isn't that much though.

I would recommend against this purchase for several reasons. First, if you're looking to play Q8's, this piece won't do it, unless you want to listen to the front channels now and the rear channels later. This is a stereo compact (receiver/tape in one chassis) and will only synthesize rear channels from stereo sources using a simple matrix circuit. The tape and amplifier portions are both stereo. The build quality isn't great.

I noticed that you haven't listed what equipment you own. Yet, from your "VFET" handle I assume that you own higher quality equipment, perhaps Sony VFET's. My assumption is that your other equipment is much higher quality.

I'd recommend finding a component Q8 player or recorder.

Just my opinion.

Linda
Queen of Quad 8
There is a Realistic Modulette 8 channel tape/receiver on sale (see here) or search for item 260801283648 at Ebay France (asking price 15 Euro) and I was wondering if this unit is any good/interesting. It looks a little plastic to me, no particular quality.

As I live in France and if anybody would love to have it for parts, I could offer to buy it and send you the parts, as long as I break even. The seller states that the unit is working, but that he is not able to test the tape section as he has no 8 channel tapes. Also it's an USA version at 110 Vac. Auction ends tomorrow.

cheers,
ozzy

Thanks for all the feedback and sharing your knowledge; I didn't purchase it. I was actually more wondering if I could help somebody out for parts outside France.

I love Linda's description as "unless you want to listen to the front channels now and the rear channels later" Smile10043.gif

Yep, I do have a passion for owning and restoring Sony VFET amps (4x TA-4650, 4x TA-5650, half of them awaiting restoration) and associated family members (tuner ST-5950SD, tapedeck TC-209SD, looking for R2R, it never stops... doesn't it) and that unit would definitely not match that quality (I wouldn't even allow it nearby). It's been a while that I'm into vintage equipment, but I'm quite new to multi-channel equipment, and it is actually hard to decide which format/equipment to go with. At least I have sufficiant amps for multi-channel set-up. By coincidence I acquired a rare CD-4 demodulator which I posted on this forum, which launched me into this world and this forum. And from there I started to spot quadraphonic stuff on auction sides. Anyway, the Q4/Q8 technology was and is rare in Europe, it's much more Sony SQ stuff what comes around here.

Back