realtime decoding of QS/SQ FLAC files, via PC playback?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electric Moo

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
been reading/searching the site but haven't found anything related to this yet:

are there any plugins for Foobar or other media players, that will decode QS/SQ wav/flac files, on the fly?

failing that, are there any media players that will?

rather than converting everything to 4 channel wav files first

thanks!

been reading/searching the site but haven't found anything related to this yet:

are there any plugins for Foobar or other media players, that will decode QS/SQ wav/flac files, on the fly?

failing that, are there any media players that will?

rather than converting everything to 4 channel wav files first

thanks!
Welcome in to the QQ, here’s a few links that may help:
https://www.foobar2000.org/components
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdadecoder/

thanks for the links!

will have to read up on configuring it for multichannel playback. a couple 4+ channel devices to choose from:

m-audio delta 66 with a 4ch breakout box
m-audio delta 1010

I have some quad LP's I plan to needledrop, and play via PC: saving wear and tear on the vinyl

thanks for the links!

will have to read up on configuring it for multichannel playback. a couple 4+ channel devices to choose from:

m-audio delta 66 with a 4ch breakout box
m-audio delta 1010

I have some quad LP's I plan to needledrop, and play via PC: saving wear and tear on the vinyl
Seems like several folks here have the 1010 and like it; I’ve been playing around with a MOTU UltraLite-mk4 via USB that works pretty well.

I use the maudio 1010 and it's great. Problem is what new mother board has the card slot that it would fit into. Ran into that problem a few years ago on a new windows 7 build and an Asus motherboard worked but on a new windows 10 pc I think that would be a challenge. Would love to hear otherwise for my next build with a 10 year old soundcard

Last edited:
I use the maudio 1010 and it's great. Problem is what new mother board has the card slot that it would fit into. Ran into that problem a few years ago on a new windows 7 build and an Asus motherboard worked but on a new windows 10 pc I think that would be a challenge. Would love to hear otherwise for my next build with a 10 year old soundcard
Like wise I use a Delta 1010 and also an ASUS Mobo from about 5 years ago. I chose it because it was the newest & best board I could get that still had a PCI slot.

Using Win 7 & I'm still very happy with the build. Itr's nice when everything works exactly as you want it, glitch free. Besides the Intel quad core (I forget the model number) it has a good SSD for OS & apps only, and 3, 4TB HGST drives for data. Besides simple data storage the basic idea if I'm upmixing, I am always reading from 1 drive & writing to another, with the 3rd drive being used for temp/cache. Plus 32 GB fast low latency RAM.

I'm sure when the time comes, a new PC build will mean a new soundcard. No doubt an outboard USB thingy like others have already gone to.

I grabbed my older PC and got it running instead

I wasn't aware this is a widespread problem: most new motherboards don't have PCI slots anymore?
Correct. When I did this build the Thunderbolt interface was a hot topic. That is for external connections but there's only so much room for PC stuff,literally, on the board and at a cost/value point. So that's when they started phasing it out. In fact my ASUS choice was between two otherwise identical boards, one with Thunderbolt & the other with PCI so I chose the latter.

Guys you can buy a pcie to pci adapter/riser board.
Thanks for the tip. I took a look at a few just now & the prices are certainly reasonable. Of the various choices that looked like what I might need I ran into this:

"Install half-height/low profile PCI interface cards in a standard PCI Express expansion slot. "

And there is the prob... the Delta 1010 is full size, not 1/2 height and using one of these it looks like it would not position properly on the back panel cut outs.

Thanks for the tip. I took a look at a few just now & the prices are certainly reasonable. Of the various choices that looked like what I might need I ran into this:

"Install half-height/low profile PCI interface cards in a standard PCI Express expansion slot. "

And there is the prob... the Delta 1010 is full size, not 1/2 height and using one of these it looks like it would not position properly on the back panel cut outs.
I would keep looking.....

Try freesurround for foobar. It has a 4.1 mode, and might be competitive with your surroundmaster box. You can use the plugin in realtime.

Last edited:
Back