Recommendations for migrating my HDD from a 2019 AMD Lenovo laptop to a desktop with Intel chips

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
After may a years of wanting to destroy my AMD chipped Lenovo laptop because it's the SLOWEST goddamned PC I have EVER had the misfortune of dealing with, I am finding options to transfer the Windoze HD to a desktop one since I do not need a laptop anymore and I have several monitors and peripherals.
Am planning on spending about $1000 cause I would like an Intel i9 chip.

My Lenovo is an ideapad 130-15AST, model 81H5 , device name LAPTOP V87FQDM0
with an AMD A6-9225 Radeon R4 , 5 compute cores 2C+3G. 2.60GHx , 2 cores

I see that the HD sells separately so it looks like it can be taken out.

Any suggestions?

Actually, AMD's Ryzen lineup is the way to go these days for price/performance...if you told me that 5 years ago I would have laughed in your face. I guess the tables have turned...There are also some sites like UserBenchmark that straight up lie about AMD's recent CPU performance to make Intel look better. Not saying that Intel doesn't have it's uses, but...

Regardless, get Intel if you want. I went off-topic. For taking out the hard drive, just plop it out and plug it into the new PC. Simple as that. However, I don't know how much trouble you may have with PC cases. I haven't bought one recently, but hearing from my friends, NO ONE is making PC cases that serve our needs anymore. Most, if not all PC Cases are designed for gamers...who don't use hard-drives. Or disk drives. Or sound cards. Oh, how I cherish my Cooler Master Stryker.

If you have the operating system on the hard drive you want to move, there may well be issues. If that turns out to be the case, it’s probably best to put both computers on your home network and copy the music folder(s) through the network. That will involve setting up your source machine so the drives are “shared” on the network.

If you’ve used a separate HD for your music files, it ought to just be a physical remove from one and install in the other.

If you have the operating system on the hard drive you want to move, there may well be issues. If that turns out to be the case, it’s probably best to put both computers on your home network and copy the music folder(s) through the network. That will involve setting up your source machine so the drives are “shared” on the network.

If you’ve used a separate HD for your music files, it ought to just be a physical remove from one and install in the other.
The curious part is that I have no music in my PC laptop, I am just interested in the programs

Stupid question:

Couldn't you just pop out the hard drive from the old laptop, stick it in a external hard drive case (approximately $10 on Amazon - for example:

https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Extern...6602&sprefix=external+ssd+case,aps,123&sr=8-5
then simply plug the old hard drive into your new computer, and then transfer whatever files you need between the two? This is what I've done in the past with no issues and very little fuss -

After may a years of wanting to destroy my AMD chipped Lenovo laptop because it's the SLOWEST goddamned PC I have EVER had the misfortune of dealing with, I am finding options to transfer the Windoze HD to a desktop one since I do not need a laptop anymore and I have several monitors and peripherals.
Am planning on spending about $1000 cause I would like an Intel i9 chip.

My Lenovo is an ideapad 130-15AST, model 81H5 , device name LAPTOP V87FQDM0
with an AMD A6-9225 Radeon R4 , 5 compute cores 2C+3G. 2.60GHx , 2 cores

I see that the HD sells separately so it looks like it can be taken out.

Any suggestions?
What you want to do is clone your old drive to your new drive. This is a lot easier than it sounds as I have had to do it many times. Go to www.easeus.com and get their program. If I remember right it's free to use for personal use and not commercial. Good luck

Actually, AMD's Ryzen lineup is the way to go these days for price/performance...if you told me that 5 years ago I would have laughed in your face. I guess the tables have turned...There are also some sites like UserBenchmark that straight up lie about AMD's recent CPU performance to make Intel look better. Not saying that Intel doesn't have it's uses, but...

Regardless, get Intel if you want. I went off-topic. For taking out the hard drive, just plop it out and plug it into the new PC. Simple as that. However, I don't know how much trouble you may have with PC cases. I haven't bought one recently, but hearing from my friends, NO ONE is making PC cases that serve our needs anymore. Most, if not all PC Cases are designed for gamers...who don't use hard-drives. Or disk drives. Or sound cards. Oh, how I cherish my Cooler Master Stryker.
Yeah, I have Ryzen as well after having Intel for years. The hard drive is going to slow the PC down to a crawl. DON"T PUT A HARD DRIVE IN A NEW MACHINE. Solid state M.2 and SSD are the way to go. There are even fast external solid state drives now. One of my solid state drives is a Samsung T7 Shield and I love it. I run games off of it at the extreme video settings with no issues. If you are going to transfer files to your new PC from the old hard drive do so and then disconnect the hard drive and put it away.

Stupid question:

Couldn't you just pop out the hard drive from the old laptop, stick it in a external hard drive case (approximately $10 on Amazon - for example:

https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Extern...6602&sprefix=external+ssd+case,aps,123&sr=8-5
then simply plug the old hard drive into your new computer, and then transfer whatever files you need between the two? This is what I've done in the past with no issues and very little fuss -
This is the best method without even cracking the case on your new machine. Clone the external hard drive to your boot solid state state drive in the new machine.

This is the best method without even cracking the case on your new machine. Clone the external hard drive to your boot solid state state drive in the new machine.
That's fine if all you want are the files but to get Windows over to a new drive it really needs cloned

Last edited:
and have to pay for another copy of f*cking Windoze??? I hope not...
The Windows license in your current laptop could be implemented with the "original key" you could have.

But more recently Microsoft did change to the "Digital License", which is "stored" digitally in the Microsoft "cloud" servers.
You could check it before dismantle the laptop. Type "Activation Settings" or "license" or something like that to find the following window:

1690198495129.png

If you have "old" license type, I think you can change to "digital license" by creating a Microsoft account and "logging in" into that account in your Windows laptop.
This will register your laptop in your Microsoft account and you can check it under your "available devices" in your web Microsoft account.

The trick for this is that you can "use" or "transfer" that "Digital License" from one hardware to another. Then you will be able to "deactivate" the digital license in the laptop and activate it in your new Desktop.

Direct activation in the new Desktop could fail, Windows complainig that it is another hardware and requesting you to enter another key. As that key is already used for your old laptop, it will not activate in the new dekstop.

I've been through all this when migrating laptops and desktops (mine and from family and friends) , and this is always a nightmare and I always start with googling internet to remember all this things :ROFLMAO:

With respect to the MIgration, the "Recommended" way to do it is by reinstalling everything from scratch. At least for the Windows and System stability. The downside is that It can be time consuming and for some applications you could have problems finding the installation kits, or licenses.

Good luck.

With respect to the MIgration, the "Recommended" way to do it is by reinstalling everything from scratch. At least for the Windows and System stability. The downside is that It can be time consuming and for some applications you could have problems finding the installation kits, or licenses.

Good luck.
This is true because the old version will have all the drivers etc for the old laptop not the new desktop. A clean install is always the best.

Back