Report: Sony Music Cuts Off Third Party Licensing to Some Companies

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt that DV received or was impacted by the letter that Sony - and the similar letter that one of the other major labels also sent out recently.
Companies that reissue regularly are not affected from what I've been told. DV would certainly fit into the frequent reissuer/customer category.
I hope you are right Brian....I get hives thinking about the impact. 😤

I'm no lawyer, but doesn't Third Party literally mean third party?

Pour l'example:

DV licenses directly from Sony. DV is the "Second Party".

Bill's Records Unlimited wants to piggyback off that license through DV without Sony's consent. Bill's Records is the "Third Party".

I can't see giant Sony cutting off all secondary re-issues. Why would they say "No" to free money?

We're talking QUAD reissues here. D~V is, IMO, doing SONY and their 'associated labels' a favor by unloading those dusty remnants from the [distant] 70's. And still, SONY is reluctant to unload A list artists either because of contractural agreements with the artists or a desire to reissue them on their own.

And like Jon Urban suggested......D~V probably has licensing agreements with other major record companies up their sleeves....since for years, they have reissued Stereo RBCDs from just about all the major comglomerates....MOST especially Universal.

Much ado about nothing......Hopefully?

Yeah, could you imagine if D/V was forced to go after the Stylistics Greatest Hits, War, and Concord owned masters like STAX, Enterprise, and Fantasy because the pipeline from Sony ran dry.

Many clouds have a silver lining.

I'm no lawyer, but doesn't Third Party literally mean third party?

Pour l'example:

DV licenses directly from Sony. DV is the "Second Party".

Bill's Records Unlimited wants to piggyback off that license through DV without Sony's consent. Bill's Records is the "Third Party".

I can't see giant Sony cutting off all secondary re-issues. Why would they say "No" to free money?

No.

The artist is the first party. Sony is the second party. DV is the third party.

I can't see giant Sony cutting off all secondary re-issues.

And Sony (and one of the other major labels that also sent out the same type of letter recently) are not.
They are focusing their licensing on companies that are frequent reissue labels. In both cases, a strategy to optimize their licensing program/efforts.

And Sony (and one of the other major labels that also sent out the same type of letter recently) are not.
They are focusing their licensing on companies that are frequent reissue labels. In both cases, a strategy to optimize their licensing program/efforts.
So you've heard about or seen something official on the topic? Good if so.

Well that's good news. The sky isn't falling. Like I said, didn't make a whole lot of sense for one of the three remaining Record Companies to cut off all licensed re-issues. Sony probably welcomes this sort of thing as they make money, and the reissue company accepts the risk/costs associated with printing discs, making covers, remastering, etc.

Sony just sits back and counts it's money.

God, I wish I had a job like that.

Well that's good news. The sky isn't falling. Like I said, didn't make a whole lot of sense for one of the three remaining Record Companies to cut off all licensed re-issues. Sony probably welcomes this sort of thing as they make money, and the reissue company accepts the risk/costs associated with printing discs, making covers, remastering, etc.

Sony just sits back and counts it's money.

God, I wish I had a job like that.

Just become an entertainment lawyer, Q8. I'm sure the process is tedious and eminently BORING!

Entertainment law is mostly contract law, it only gets to the point of litigation if something has gone seriously wrong. Not nearly as exciting as one might think.

So, basically, it would involve sealing the licensing deal from the record companies and ensuring that all involved parties [record company, artists, etc] get their share of the licensing fees and the reissue company is contracturally bound to produce X number of discs in a given format and assume all costs of replicating those discs.

I do wonder when a reissue company indicates a VERY limited run of reissued discs whether that affects the price of the licensing deal?

And then of course licensing deals do have an expiration date so that would also be part of the 'process.'

And of course in this day and age, doubtful the absolute master tapes are utilized for obvious reasons as I'm sure when they were, insurance for lost or damaged masters would also be factored into the licensing deal....and could at times be excessive!

Last edited:
So, basically, it would involve sealing the licensing deal from the record companies and ensuring that all involved parties [record company, artists, etc] get their share of the licensing fees and the reissue company is contracturally bound to produce X number of discs in a given format and assume all costs of replicating those discs.

I do wonder when a reissue company indicates a VERY limited run of reissued discs whether that affects the price of the licensing deal?

And then of course licensing deals do have an expiration date so that would also be part of the 'process.'
I can't speak to the details of the deal at issue here, but in reissues, as is for almost anything in entertainment (and really, most sectors), my general belief is that if a contract can be agreed to with minimal deviation from the typical form contract that's used, it will be doable to make a deal unless no contracts with new counterparties are being considered. The more unique clauses are at issue, the less appealing a deal becomes.

It's a little different in that the reissue company pays a guarantee to the record company and artist to license the album for release in a specific format until either a) a set period of time, say 3 years passes or b) a specific number of discs, LPs or tapes are sold. Also of note, the licensing record company often makes the discs or LPs and the reissue company is required to buy the discs from the licensing record company.

understandably so, they've been awfully quiet since the January Country batch and then just one new disc for the "April 2019 Release"! we are in uncharted waters now, previous release batch patterns don't apply! could it be the calm before the storm? maybe there's a surround tsunami on it's way.. i hope so! i've got my waterproofs handy just in case there's a deluge of discs! 🌪🌊☔🧜‍♂️
I just hope it's not the "Sony Door Slam" in effect. I don't think so because it takes months or even years for this stuff to get from planning to delivery in shrink wrapped product. And something would be in the pipeline ready to drop (in our laps) anyway, even if that were the case.

But the silence is deafening ain't it.

I just hope it's not the "Sony Door Slam" in effect. I don't think so because it takes months or even years for this stuff to get from planning to delivery in shrink wrapped product. And something would be in the pipeline ready to drop (in our laps) anyway, even if that were the case.

I'd doubt it. The other reissue labels that are active with Sony Music SACD reissues are still working on new titles from the Sony Music catalog.
Since DV has been active in that arena, their access should still be active.

I'd doubt it. The other reissue labels that are active with Sony Music SACD reissues are still working on new titles from the Sony Music catalog.
Since DV has been active in that arena, their access should still be active.

People you have to trust Brian. If anyone knows about this stuff it's him. If he says it's not an issue, it is not an issue. No brag, just fact.

People you have to trust Brian. If anyone knows about this stuff it's him. If he says it's not an issue, it is not an issue. No brag, just fact.
Is there a group of skeptics or trust issues of Brian's pov? I was not aware or any issues, or non-issues I mean.

A little defensive, like something is up. No? If nothing is up there is no need to insist that fact.

Steely Dave will be chiming in with new release essays any second, he knows his stuff equally well right.

:):cool::love:

Back