Ricky's Audio Video Barn Build Project

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbmmm3

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
My project started as a dream many years ago. It has finally progressed to the point of moving the dirt to make the dream a reality. This thread will document the journey. I welcome your comments and suggestions.
In the meantime - see the attached blueprints. The Great Room is the Audio Video room. You can see - via Print I have a false wall 4-1/2 feet in from rear wall with doors to access this back area. Labeled as Storage. This is where I will locate most
of the audio componentry

rickybarn.jpg
rickybarn1.jpg

Last edited:
My project started as a dream many years ago. It has finally progressed to the point of moving the dirt to make the dream a reality. This thread will document the journey. I welcome your comments and suggestions.
In the meantime - see the attached blueprints. The Great Room is the Audio Video room. You can see - via Print I have a false wall 4-1/2 feet in from rear wall with doors to access this back area. Labeled as Storage. This is where I will locate most
of the audio componentry

View attachment 103592View attachment 103593
SO WHEN CAN I MOVE IN????????

Here are some of the 'knowns' and 'unknowns' -

The walls are 12' high. This will make for a nice 120" projector screen. I will be doing a Sony projector. The thought is 9 floor speakers, 4 subs and 4 ceiling speakers. But 9 floor speakers ? Shit its only a 24 x 22 audio room Seems like it may be overkill ? Maybe Ill go 7 floor speakers ?
Any comments regarding this issue are appreciated

Wow. Really cool.
I'm not sure "barn" is the correct term but one thing is for sure, you'll have lots of room for activities. ;)

So, all the audio equipment will be behind the wall?
Or will there be built in shelving for the components that results in the face of each component being flush with the wall (and viewable from the room) and the rest behind the wall with easy access to all the wiring?

Wow. Really cool.
I'm not sure "barn" is the correct term but one thing is for sure, you'll have lots of room for activities. ;)

So, all the audio equipment will be behind the wall?
Or will there be built in shelving for the components that results in the face of each component being flush with the wall (and viewable from the room) and the rest behind the wall with easy access to all the wiring?
good point. Ive always been a believer of short cord length from amp to speaker. the shorter the better. I can hide the front end amps behind the wall.
But the other 4 or 6 speakers...........I dont know. The last thing I want is this room to be cluttered with amps and speakers all over the place. I dont know....

Here are some of the 'knowns' and 'unknowns' -

The walls are 12' high. This will make for a nice 120" projector screen. I will be doing a Sony projector. The thought is 9 floor speakers, 4 subs and 4 ceiling speakers. But 9 floor speakers ? Shit its only a 24 x 22 audio room Seems like it may be overkill ? Maybe Ill go 7 floor speakers ?
Any comments regarding this issue are appreciated
Word of advice. Best to have the 120" screen viewable at eye level [center of screen should be level with center of eye] to avoid neck strain] ...which might mean you can eliminate center speaker and utilize phantom center [very easily accomplished with today's players/pre pros] .......

And ensure your overhead ATMOS speakers are NOT built in ...... having those speakers match the characteristics of your other speakers is tantamount to greater sound .... and have them angled toward listening position .... which means they should be adjustable!

Last edited:
I'd think 7.2.4 would be plenty- or 7.4.4. You could get a perforated screen and put the center behind it. Unless you're going to have 3 or more rows of seating, in which case it might make sense to have 4 surrounds in addition to back surrounds. In which case I'd say 9.2or4.6.

Personally, I'd lose office #2 and put the kitchenette in there, with a window and serving ledge open to the great room for serving food, with doors to close to keep acoustics more ideal. I'd want nothing but A/V in that room- or maybe just a bumper pool table in the back. But that's just me...

But what I really want to know- and I imagine most of us here, being we're all gearheads to some extent- what electronics/equipment are you thinking of???

I'd think 7.2.4 would be plenty- or 7.4.4. You could get a perforated screen and put the center behind it. Unless you're going to have 3 or more rows of seating, in which case it might make sense to have 4 surrounds in addition to back surrounds. In which case I'd say 9.2or4.6.

Personally, I'd lose office #2 and put the kitchenette in there, with a window and serving ledge open to the great room for serving food, with doors to close to keep acoustics more ideal. I'd want nothing but A/V in that room- or maybe just a bumper pool table in the back. But that's just me...

But what I really want to know- and I imagine most of us here, being we're all gearheads to some extent- what electronics/equipment are you thinking of???
There are Pros and Cons to utilizing perforated projection screens:

https://thehometheaterdiy.com/acoustically-transparent-screen/

He's better off utilizing a phantom center thus eliminating any chance of 1] muffling sound when placed behind screen and 2] better light output without any aberrations from perforated projection screens

Have you ever noticed how even removing grilles from speakers enhances sound .......??????

I listen to a lot of redbook and MQA Cds. So one driving factor is that my Pre / Pro must accept a Balanced analog Input for my Luxman disc player.
That leaves only one to do the job. A Marantz AV-10. I will use Classe Omega amps for the front mains - Left and Right. Classe Omegas for rear Left and Right. A Classe CAM600 for the center channel. CAM350s for the rear / side or rear atmos. And 2 Classe CA-301s for the ceiling speakers. The blu ray player is yet to be determined but it needs to play SACD and DVD Audio. It may be a Reavon

There are Pros and Cons to utilizing perforated projection screens:

https://thehometheaterdiy.com/acoustically-transparent-screen/

He's better off utilizing a phantom center thus eliminating any chance of 1] muffling sound when placed behind screen and 2] better light output without any aberrations from perforated projection screens

Have you ever noticed how even removing grilles from speakers enhances sound .......??????

I was unaware of the problems; I just know that many HT's use them, as well as movie theatres. I just know the raison d'etre of center channels is for off axis seating- if you have folks sitting much off-center, the phantom center moves towards the side they're sitting on.

There's also the solution of the center below the screen, angled up to point at the MLP. That's what I use. Though I'd probably be better off using a phantom center, since it's mostly just me watching/listening. But I still want the best experience when there are others partaking.

One question I forgot- what soundproofing are you using? Could be important if you want to be able to crank it at any time...

Best of luck; but plan, plan, plan is the word!

drool drool drool

On these kinds of projects I'm always thinking about external noise invading the listening space. So think about that carefully. No nearby A/C units or generators etc. I don't even like my own setup currently, where I can hear just a slight bit of central A/C fan noise out of the vents in my main listening area. When I'm doing serious listening I make sure my A/C is turned off.

drool drool drool

I was unaware of the problems; I just know that many HT's use them, as well as movie theatres. I just know the raison d'etre of center channels is for off axis seating- if you have folks sitting much off-center, the phantom center moves towards the side they're sitting on.

There's also the solution of the center below the screen, angled up to point at the MLP. That's what I use. Though I'd probably be better off using a phantom center, since it's mostly just me watching/listening. But I still want the best experience when there are others partaking.

One question I forgot- what soundproofing are you using? Could be important if you want to be able to crank it at any time...
I did point out to cbmmm3 that since Dutton Vocalion QUAD SACDs and Rhino's QUADIO titles utilize extremely effective phantom centers without any loss of audio that might be a good approach if you tell your players/pre/pros there is NO center channel!

I listen to a lot of redbook and MQA Cds. So one driving factor is that my Pre / Pro must accept a Balanced analog Input for my Luxman disc player.
That leaves only one to do the job. A Marantz AV-10. I will use Classe Omega amps for the front mains - Left and Right. Classe Omegas for rear Left and Right. A Classe CAM600 for the center channel. CAM350s for the rear / side or rear atmos. And 2 Classe CA-301s for the ceiling speakers. The blu ray player is yet to be determined but it needs to play SACD and DVD Audio. It may be a Reavon

Classe(y) setup!

You may want to consider a Sony UBP 800X M2. It plays sacd and dvd-a. There are some problems reported (mine has been virtually prroblem-free)- but it seems all 4K players have more problems than 2K players ever did. Seems the percentage of problematic players is higher. For the price of a Reavon, you could get 7-10 Sonys. And I'd be concerned about support for Reavon.

Best of luck; but plan, plan, plan is the word!

drool drool drool

On these kinds of projects I'm always thinking about external noise invading the listening space. So think about that carefully. No nearby A/C units or generators etc. I don't even like my own setup currently, where I can hear just a slight bit of central A/C fan noise out of the vents in my main listening area. When I'm doing serious listening I make sure my A/C is turned off.

drool drool drool
the entire room will be sound proofed. will use sound treatments - if necessary - once the room is up and running. I did put the furnace / AC in the garage area to keep noise out. Will run 3 dedicated 20 amp circuits and will use Furman Reference 20-I's for Power

"And I'd be concerned about support for Reavon"

BINGO --- my concern also
When I moved my OPPO 205 into my main mancave system I did replace it in my boudoir with a SONY UBP 800 and even though it has glitches [what 4K player doesn't] it's a very serviceable unit but doubtful Ricko [cbmmm3] would be happy with it as a main player....considering the stellar equipment he has assembled for his BARNCAVE. 🛖

And a note: Even though a lot of players tout Dolby Vision and HDR10+ in their video arsenals .... Dolby Vision ONLY applies to Flatscreen monitors and NOT to projection TVs ..... at least at this juncture. And seriously Ricko, are you willing to get up at 5:30 AM every morning to feed the chickens and milk the cows?

Back