Ringo Issuing Back Catalog 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadwreck

Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Ringo Starr's new album is due out in 5.1, and his 2003 album "Ringorama" is also due out in 5.1, according to a recent interview by the Associated Press. He didn't say what format, or what other albums will be released in 5.1, probably because they didn't ask.

You've just gotta love Ringo! I'm glad he keeps on talking surround.

Hope to see his releases materialize. (Hope they are hi-rez DVD-Audio or SACD and not simply just Dolby Digital. Or who knows what. He had been talking about downloads before, if I'm not mistaken? Not necessarilly multichannel downloads, but I guess I wouldn't completely dismiss the possibility. Though, I need an actual physical disc.)

OK, I don't know if this is from the same A.P. article, but it was from A.P. In an interview conducted by a Solvej Schou, which was printed in the Macon Telegraph on August 25, 2007, Ringo mentions that, and I quote: "I have this record coming out now, and a 5.1 version of 'Choose Love' and 2003's 'Ringo Rama' and I've finished my new CD, which will be out in January." Ringo was answering a question about when he was planning to go on tour, so apparently, he's holding up a tour to get this done. This will be new music for me since I haven't heard either of those albums. I hope it comes to fruition!

The Quadfather

Well at least Ringo's current label, Koch Records, has done all their previous 5.1 work in hybrid SACD. Maybe that is a positive.

Doing a little further digging, it seems that the 5.1 SACD's listed on the KOCH website are on labels that KOCH distributes like JSP Records or Living Legends Records.

But since they (Koch) have done SACD in the past hopefully they would do the same for Ringo:confused:.

Doing a little further digging, it seems that the 5.1 SACD's listed on the KOCH website are on labels that KOCH distributes like JSP Records or Living Legends Records.

But since they (Koch) have done SACD in the past hopefully they would do the same for Ringo:confused:.

One can only hope - however, it is highly unlikely that Koch will make any special effort to release a title on SACD, and if the cost for 5.1 is on them, then not a snowball's chance in hell. Sony DADC would manufacture any SACD for Koch and that SACD line now resides in Austria. It would be more than likely that if there was a 5.1 mix to come that it would be via DVD or not at all. I would prefer to be wrong on this.

One can only hope - however, it is highly unlikely that Koch will make any special effort to release a title on SACD, and if the cost for 5.1 is on them, then not a snowball's chance in hell. Sony DADC would manufacture any SACD for Koch and that SACD line now resides in Austria. It would be more than likely that if there was a 5.1 mix to come that it would be via DVD or not at all. I would prefer to be wrong on this.

Good news! A little birdie told me that Koch will be issuing this as DVD-A - no word on an official street date, but it's being mastered as I write this.:smokin

Good news! A little birdie told me that Koch will be issuing this as DVD-A - no word on an official street date, but it's being mastered as I write this.:smokin

Cool! Give that birdie a treat! ;)

Back