Rip Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I ripped all the quadios individual tracks no problem.
Using AnyDVD HD and DVD Audio Extractor I can now get it to show the individual tracks. I have to first select 2Ch then Title 2 to get individual tracks to show up. Then I select 4-ch. For some reason selecting 4ch first only shows only one track.

When I rip to a multi-channel flac wav or dts file the file will only play the front channels in Foobar. The files have the correct attributes looking at the audio properties. Foobar displays the four output tracks but the audio driver for the rear channels is not being utilised for some reason. Other similar multi-channel files play properly.

I haven't checked playing the files via the Oppo yet. As a work around I might have to save as individual files and the re-encode them using Audition or Audacity.

Edit:

By re-encoding using Adobe Audition 3 my files play properly. Something is not coded right using DVD-Audio Extractor. AA3 being an old program always locks up my audio drivers so after use I have to reboot the computer to get the drivers back!

Last edited:
For those in a hurry: assuming you have the previous version (1.17.14, which you will also find in their website), have you tried cheating on the computer date, backdating to November with the latest key code? It worked for me.
Thank you. That was a great idea and it worked perfectly for me as well.
With all these recent releases, I was starting to accumulate a backlog of Blu-Rays that I needed to rip.
All caught up now.

I misread the title as RIP bluray!
"Now what the heck is Sony trying to introduce?!" :D

I paid the $50 for MakeMKV back in 2011 I think. It was either buy a stand alone bluray player (really bad option) or pay the $50 fee. Sony was getting their cut one way or the other. Seemed fair enough.

Dolby would do well to dial it back and offer software options like this with Atmos decoding. (Especially considering that wavpack delivers 12 channel files with no encoding just fine.)

Using AnyDVD HD and DVD Audio Extractor I can now get it to show the individual tracks. I have to first select 2Ch then Title 2 to get individual tracks to show up. Then I select 4-ch. For some reason selecting 4ch first only shows only one track.

When I rip to a multi-channel flac wav or dts file the file will only play the front channels in Foobar. The files have the correct attributes looking at the audio properties. Foobar displays the four output tracks but the audio driver for the rear channels is not being utilised for some reason. Other similar multi-channel files play properly.

I haven't checked playing the files via the Oppo yet. As a work around I might have to save as individual files and the re-encode them using Audition or Audacity.

Edit:

By re-encoding using Adobe Audition 3 my files play properly. Something is not coded right using DVD-Audio Extractor. AA3 being an old program always locks up my audio drivers so after use I have to reboot the computer to get the drivers back!
I use a newer version of AA and it loses my audio device and channel mapping. But since Windows never seems to know which audio device is the "proper" one it takes some finagling at times. I have more problems when mapping channels for > 5.1 when importing more than 6 channels but work through it. Grudgingly. lol.

Ripping Instructions for AnyDVD-HD/Audio-DVD Extractor + Adobe Audition 3

So for now at least I'm using AnyDVD-HD and DVD-Audio Extractor. You have to first select 2CH then you can get the tracks to show up. Otherwise you you don't see the individual tracks if you select 4CH right from the start. I think that the way these discs are authored with the 2CH and 4CH steams linked is causing a problem with the rips.

When I rip I get a four channel file of whatever output format I select. It shows all the right attributes but when I try to play it in Foobar only the front channels play. The Spectrogram display that I have enabled however shows all four channels!

So to fix the file I use Adobe Audition 3, multitrack, I import the file, highlight the four tracks and right click add to the multitrack. then under view select the Surround Encoder and assign each track to it's proper channel (L,R,Ls and Rs). Export and save. The new track is encoded as 5.1 channel and plays all channels properly. One caveat aside from the extra work Audion always locks up my asio audio drivers so I have to reboot my computer to get them back for use by Foobar.

I might be the outlier here but I do not want 5.1 files with empty channels. I want 4.0 files and I have never had a problem playing them. So I then do one more step, I open the file in Foobar then click on convert, using the Matrix Mixer I remove the centre and LFE channels. I am now back to a 4.0 file that also plays properly.

I wonder if using MakeMKV instead will produce a file that plays properly without all the extra work?

Why?

A 4.0 file will always be less compatible than a 5.1 file. If you are wondering only for your specific player/setup, why not try it?
Why? 4.0 files play in the Oppo and on my old computers that only have four channel soundcards without having to re-map the playback channels. More compatible for me!

Also the DR meter doesn't work correctly if you have extra blank channels.

Which Oppo?
I use my 103 (and 205) for HDMI input. I picked up a mini PC with two HDMI outs, and an N100 processor for $110. A four-channel sound card, sounds like a relic from past millenniums. Do you worry about turn-on thumping with old analog cards like that?

Which Oppo?
I use my 103 (and 205) for HDMI input. I picked up a mini PC with two HDMI outs, and an N100 processor for $110. A four-channel sound card, sounds like a relic from past millenniums. Do you worry about turn-on thumping with old analog cards like that?
My main computer has a Digigram VX822HR (eight I/O channels). My older computers have my old cards Delta 44 and Delta 66.

Any AVR that can't do 4.0 properly is a POS, IMHO!

I notice no problem with turn-on thumping, besides my main computer is always on.

I used to always downmix 5.1 to 4.0. That allowed me to throw lfe into the back channels! Less need to with the Digigram card.

I have the BDP-103 and BDP-95. I use their excellent analogue outputs. I use HDMI for video.

Last edited:
BDP-103 and BDP-95. I use their excellent analogue outputs.
I am very happy with the analog outs of my Oppo, enough so, I own two multichannel analog preamps.
I use HDMI for video.
I have no issues with HDMI into my Oppo for Audio. For 2D music, I switch between the Oppo (HDMI) + WASAPI, and my USB multichannel DAC + ASIO, and I am very content with both, even switching between them on the fly. I usually go back to the USB DAC, simply because I can control the channel levels on my PC screen, rather than having to break out the Oppo app (or remote).

I do wish more people would list their gear within their forum signatures ;)
It would take up more room than allowed I think.

Mine is in my profile, although that doesn’t have enough “miscellaneous” room.
Mine too, more than could be squeezed in a signature. ;)
It would be nice if it was more configurable and had a place for pictures.

Back