Rip Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucks

New guy to this forum and hope that someone can help point me in the right direction. I have used MakeMKV for years, but I've moved 4 times since COVID first started and am finally unpacked an ready to rip some of my acquired Blu-Ray discs (SW, PT box set to name a few). I am only getting files with an .mkv extension when I back them up and that is a file type that DVDAE will not read. It's feeling like I have a setting wrong (doing all of this on a Mac with an LG Modisc BD rewriter), is there a thread here somewhere to help poor soul like me that are struggling with this? Appreciate the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
New guy to this forum and hope that someone can help point me in the right direction. I have used MakeMKV for years, but I've moved 4 times since COVID first started and am finally unpacked an ready to rip some of my acquired Blu-Ray discs (SW, PT box set to name a few). I am only getting files with an .mkv extension when I back them up and that is a file type that DVDAE will not read. It's feeling like I have a setting wrong (doing all of this on a Mac with an LG Modisc BD rewriter), is there a thread here somewhere to help poor soul like me that are struggling with this? Appreciate the help.
I’m no expert but I think MakeMKV will only allow you to make .mkv files, dvdae is a totally different program for backing up, I think you would use one or the other

Welcome to QQ. My rip routine (on a pc though) is to make backup with makeMKV and then browse with DVDAE to the back up folder. With MakeMKV I dont open the blu ray but only make a backup. Screen is in Dutch but you should press the folder icon with the green arrow. Or File/back-up. Hope this helps.

1693342023887.png

I thought that I'd try ripping some of my new "Qaudios". It's been awhile since I did any blu-ray ripping and so there is that learning curve over again.

Last time I remember using MakeMKV first but my trial has expired. I seem to remember in the past that by uninstalling and reinstalling the trial it would work again. Not this time, so before paying for a license I thought that I'd try something else.

Using AnyDVD-HD and DVD Audio extractor I was able to extract as one large flac file.

I tried to play it in Foobar. Despite showing as a 4.0 file with the correct channel assignments (LF, RF, SL, SR) and displaying all four waveforms there is no sound from the rear.

Thinking there must be something not 100% correct with the file structure I tried to re-encode it as flac with the same result. Then I tried to convert to wav, the file was too large. I then converted to wav at 96kHz/24bit and it works fine. Converting the wave back to flac also works fine. Do I really need 192kHz files? Probably not, but still I wonder exactly what is going on.

I use CD Wave Editor to split large files into individual ones, the large flac would only partially open. I one case about half the file in and another case only a few minutes.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a explanation as to why it doesn't work correctly. Is the file size just too large?

I have been using AnyDVD HD and DVD Audio Extractor for years ripping blu rays and DVDs, getting individual tracks for each song. You must be doing something wrong. Be sure that you have the latest versions of the software.

I thought that I'd try ripping some of my new "Qaudios". It's been awhile since I did any blu-ray ripping and so there is that learning curve over again.

Last time I remember using MakeMKV first but my trial has expired. I seem to remember in the past that by uninstalling and reinstalling the trial it would work again. Not this time, so before paying for a license I thought that I'd try something else.

Using AnyDVD-HD and DVD Audio extractor I was able to extract as one large flac file.

I tried to play it in Foobar. Despite showing as a 4.0 file with the correct channel assignments (LF, RF, SL, SR) and displaying all four waveforms there is no sound from the rear.

Thinking there must be something not 100% correct with the file structure I tried to re-encode it as flac with the same result. Then I tried to convert to wav, the file was too large. I then converted to wav at 96kHz/24bit and it works fine. Converting the wave back to flac also works fine. Do I really need 192kHz files? Probably not, but still I wonder exactly what is going on.

I use CD Wave Editor to split large files into individual ones, the large flac would only partially open. I one case about half the file in and another case only a few minutes.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a explanation as to why it doesn't work correctly. Is the file size just too large?
I can't help with AnyDVD-HD, but MakeMKV consistently provides free updates for their registration key. The new key is not yet posted for Dec. 2023 but I expect it will be issued shortly. The administrator (Mike) does a great job keeping it available for folks. I used MakeMKV a number of times in Nov. but I tried today and received the message that the code had expired. I plan to check back to the site in a day or two to get the new code for December. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
I have been using AnyDVD HD and DVD Audio Extractor for years ripping blu rays and DVDs, getting individual tracks for each song. You must be doing something wrong. Be sure that you have the latest versions of the software.
I have the latest version of the software. It is only showing one file. What am I doing wrong? Have you tried to rip any of the latest Quadios?
I can't help with AnyDVD-HD, but MakeMKV consistently provides free updates for their registration key. The new key is not yet posted for Dec. 2023 but I expect it will be issued shortly. The administrator (Mike) does a great job keeping it available for folks. I used MakeMKV a number of times in Nov. but I tried today and received the message that the code had expired. I plan to check back to the site in a day or two to get the new code for December. I hope that helps.
Thank You, I'll try it when the new key becomes available.
@par4ken

The latest MakeMKV beta key is always here. It usually lasts a couple of months:
https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
EDIT:
Here’s a writeup I did on ripping BD to audio files. I should update it but it’s still accurate:
https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh4/PDFs/How to Convert Atmos Blurays to Audio Files.pdf
Thank You, that key expired at the end of November, so just waiting on the new code.

Last edited:
I had an issue with MakeMKV the other day as it wouldn't accept the latest registration code. That's never happened before. I deleted the program from my macbook and downloaded the latest version and then MakeKMV worked properly

I have the latest version of the software. It is only showing one file. What am I doing wrong? Have you tried to rip any of the latest Quadios?

Thank You, I'll try it when the new key becomes available.

Thank You, that key expired at the end of November, so just waiting on the new code.
My copy had expired as well, so I just downloaded the latest version here and it's working fine.

https://www.makemkv.com/download/
If you still have an outdated key, the latest one here is working

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

It is not working for me. When I install the key I get the message "Your temporary key has expired and was removed, Please restart the application". The key is the one from the link and it states that it is good until the end of November. So must be expired.

It is not working for me. When I install the key I get the message "Your temporary key has expired and was removed, Please restart the application". The key is the one from the link and it states that it is good until the end of November. So must be expired.
I used MakeMKV last week for the first time in years. I clicked to open & got message about outdated version. Got the new one. Worked fine with out any pass key entry.

Good luck!

Back