RIP Mark Lanegan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, RIP, 57 is too young.
He had a hell of a good run, though, on his own terms.
Lovely tribute in the Guardian.
Had no idea of his COVID struggles.

For some reason, folks in the Ireland & UK seemed to love him more than we did here in the US.
MOJO was always reviewing his albums.

Somewhere I have the t-shirt from when I saw Screaming Trees in 88 at the Ranch Bowl in Omaha on the middle of the bill between The Poster Children and Mike Watt's fireHOSE on the Side-Mousing Tour.

Thought they must have got the name Screaming Trees from Lanegan's voice and those big damn Conner brothers, who were wearing shorts and had legs as big as tree trunks. šŸ˜± šŸŒ³šŸŒ³

His covid memoir excerpt is heart-breaking:
ā€˜This thing was trying to dismantle meā€™: Mark Lanegan on nearly dying of Covid

Listening to the epitaph he wrote for himself, Track 1, Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan, Hawk (2010)

We die and see beauty reign
And on and on the final trace
Shall know its place and slow erase

We die and see hosts and ghosts
We force ourselves down their throats
And walk along the old dirt track
No thoroughfare, no going back

We fucked it up forced the pace
Got swept along forged our fate
Our banks foreclose, our fortunes fade
Our alibis are retrograde

I saw him live in Sydney about 5 years ago, pretty depressing gig to be honest...... Didn't seem like a very happy person...... RIP

I saw him live in Sydney about 5 years ago, pretty depressing gig to be honest...... Didn't seem like a very happy person...... RIP
When he played with the screaming trees he got into a fight with the crowd at the big day out and on that same day Courtney Love came on stage during their performance twice to swear and rant about Kurt. That was one hell of a show

First I learned about Gary Brooker passing and now this. I became a Mark Lanegan fan after hearing Kingdoms of Rain featured on an episode of Sons of Anarchy. His songs elevated melancholia to epic levels, and his collaborations with many other artists were always great. Another major talent that will be missed.

His performance with Isobel Campbell at Splendour in the Grass near Byron Bay, NSW, was unforgettable. 2011 I think it was.

Back