Rip Off Cds

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcsten

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Ok here's my story. I bought a cd labeled "Quad Mix" on cd of Jeff Beck Wired. I have this recording on SQ disc and Q8. The mixes are exactly the same, adn on top of that, there are a few differences from the stereo mix. I got the cd and it does decode into SQ as far as rear info, but it is not the same as the CBS mix, and the programming defferences in the SQ from the stereo mix are absent. In other words, it sounds like the stereo version, with some phase messing to get it to go to the rears in SQ. I have sent some very nice emails to the seller to try for info on this and have heard deafening silence. A while later on ebay I saw a cd advertised as the "Quad Mix" of Stormbringer by Deep Purple. Now this is too much as of course, this was released only in Q8 and cd4. So I email the seller again to try to get some info. Guess what? No response. Basically, I don't think adny of this crud on cd is worth bidding on. From now on, I'll stick with vinyl.
Marc

What they probably did was they took the Quad mix, from the record or 8 track, and collapsed it down to stereo and burned it onto CD.

>>A while later on ebay I saw a cd advertised as the "Quad Mix" of Stormbringer by Deep Purple. Now this is too much as of course, this was released only in Q8 and cd4.<<

You can easily get the Quad DTS CD of "Stormbringer". I have it.
Brian

I also wrote and asked questions and received no answer from the seller! This guy should be reported to e-bay!

Brian , I got your e-mail and was just going to e-mail you back. I just switched jobs and have been working on several projects at the same time on 2 computers, and it will take a while. as I'm working wacky hours, so in between I;m working on the fixes you needed and also did the SQ Tangerine Dream albums Atem and Alpha C. Both are the best SQ decoded l.p.s to 5.1 d.t.s. I have ever done, spent a lot of time on each track and sub and center channels. The sub channel is excellent as I used a 10th order sub filter on it to kill the rumble bellow 20hz and a 6th order on all the other channels!
The l.p.s them self where so clean and the decoded front to back was great The dynamic range was the best I've ever heard from an l.p.transfer. I don't know if it was the weather or what but all my equipment seemed to work togther on the project and sounds like a digital recording! Granted this isn't a very popular set of l.p.s but boy it sounds EXCELLENT!
Rob

The Stormbringer wasn't any dts mix. And I asked the seller if it was and got no answer. As far as the Wired cd, it wasn't even an sq mix, even if not encoded as there were the subtle differences from the stereo mix missing. I tend to think its a stereo mix through a tate or similar enhance circuit - maybe a sansui - then run into dts or dolby.
Marc

Thanks for the update, Rob. I would really like to hear the Tangerine Dream albums. Do you want to set up a trade for them?
Brian

My Wired is a regular cd, but I couldn't tell what the Stormbringer was as I was once burned and did not bid on it. AS I said, the seller refused to give any info. I wondered too if it was a dts, but without any info I cynically guessed it was something like my Wired.
Marc

Uh oh...Its back on again. The same "Wird" cd that I bought and is of dubious background is on ebay again, from the same seller. The fact that he now has another of the same thing pretty much confirms what I thought, which is that he's making them up somewhere in Uraguay. Take it from someone who has one, don't buy one.Seller still refuses to answer emails - not a good sign.
Marc

This is a thread I started a while back. I finally found some info on this. The seller just sold another cd like the one I bought, and I'm sure it will be posted again. The site describes these cds as bootlegs of the quad mix. Apparently its just that the phasing isn't quite right and that's why I wasn't very impressed. Anyway, this link says there are boots for all of the Jeff Beck quads. Here is the link.
Marc

plaza20.mbn.or.jp/~JeffBe...tpt4e.html

Ok let's just say it again FOR ANY ONE THINKING OF GETTING ANY OF THESE QUAD MIX THINGS-SAVE YOUR MONEY! I have the PF DSOTM quad mix cd and it SUCKS!!!!! Recorded from a crappy copy of the lp w/ lots of pops, clicks and weak fidelity. One was enuff for me to learn. I also have one of the Black Sabboth so called quad mixes that I got just to have the artwork.
All it is is seperate tracks of the thing run through some lame decder and recorded, you get front channels on one track and rear channel on the next track. Thing sounded like it was recorded in a wind tunnel. I have not heard any thing good about any of this $%&*. Buy dts cd's from our guyz instead. WORD!

Dave

I've seen these advertised several times on ebay. I always thought you'd have to be nuts to pay money for this sort of thing; but at least he describes what it is -- homemade stuff. Where it sounds like he is untrue is where he says that it is A+ etc. The guy I got the Jeff Beck from claims they are legit. It is clearly this boo, though, as it has the same nimber and everything. They aren't that bad in terms of the actual sound quality, its the decoding that is questionable. Its about the equivalent of what I could do burning my sq album to a cd on my laptop.
Marc

Back