Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just watched "Run Lola Run", 5.1, on Amazon Prime. German subtitles. Great very surrounding soundtrack at times reminding me a bit of Kraftwerk (it wasn't).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_Lola_Run

"Soundtrack[edit]
The soundtrack, by Tykwer, Johnny Klimek, and Reinhold Heil, includes numerous musical quotations of the sustained string chords of The Unanswered Question, an early 20th-century chamber ensemble work by American composer Charles Ives. In the original work, the chords are meant to represent "the Silences of the Druids—who Know, See and Hear Nothing".

The techno soundtrack established dialectical relation between motives of the movie: Rhythm, Repetition, and Interval among various spatio-temporal logics. This produces unification of contradictions like Time and Space or The cyclical and the linear."
Loved this film when I bought the first DVD release. Purchased the Blu-ray, too. The 4K UHD is spectacular -- jaw-droppingly good picture and sound.

From thedigitalbits website:

The distributor Seven7 in France has just released director Jean-Jacques Annaud’s The Name of the Rose (1986) in a new Limited Prestige Edition 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray package that features a new 4K restoration of the film on both UHD and Blu-ray, a Blu-ray bonus disc with over 7 hours worth of extras, plus a 44-page book. A Bits reader with the disc in hand says the restoration is gorgeous. (Thanks for the heads up, Basti!) There’s no word yet on a US release from Warner (or one of its licensees), but the title will apparently be released in Germany on 8/8.

The Name of the Rose (French 4K Ultra HD)

I have to say, SHOUT FACTORY did a spectacular Native UHD4K remaster of director Ian Softley's 1995 flick HACKERS with a very young Jonny Lee Miller, Agelina Jolie, Matthew Lilliard and a great supporting cast of Lorraine Bracco, Fisher Stevens, Marc Anthony and Wendell Pierce!

The DTS~HD MA 5.1 sound design was spectacular as well. Great bass extension and discrete immersion throughout!

Highest Recommendation

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hackers-4K-Blu-ray/339047/#Review

28924_5_large.jpg

Just received my latest batch of 8 Native UHD4K titles from SHOUT FACTORY procured during their recent 50% off blow out sale. Titles include: DOG SOLDIERS, HACKERS, POINT BREAK [The original], OLD HENRY, WAR GAMES, THE HAUNTING OF JULIA, KRAMPUS [The Naughty Cut Collector's Edition] and THE DEAD ZONE [with Christopher Walken].

ALL arrived in perfect condition, most with slip covers!

Well, watched Dune Part 2...

The sound was overcompressed, and I could hear it on my measly system. Not the 5 stars that Blu-ray.com indicated it was for that reason alone. Otherwise awesome mix, awesome video, and decent enough film.

Edit: Just found out this film was in IMAX...there was zero reason the home release could not have had a shifting aspect ratio. Disappointed 😞.

Last edited:

The sound was overcompressed, and I could hear it on my measly system. Not the 5 stars that Blu-ray.com indicated it was for that reason alone. Otherwise awesome mix, awesome video, and decent enough film.

Edit: Just found out this film was in IMAX...there was zero reason the home release could not have had a shifting aspect ratio. Disappointed 😞.
I’m waiting for the 3D box set. Or at least for Dune2 to be released in 3D, and I’ll make my own set.

There is a strong expectation of a release down the road with the different ratio. My hope is that the extras are moved off to a 2nd BR so the main movie doesn't have to fight for the space.
I thought the digitalbits did a great point discussing that in their review.

There is a strong expectation of a release down the road with the different ratio. My hope is that the extras are moved off to a 2nd BR so the main movie doesn't have to fight for the space.
I thought the digitalbits did a great point discussing that in their review.
The main movie wasn't fighting for space...it only used about 75-80GB. If fact, I was disappointed the extras were only 1080p and lossy audio because they clearly had the space to put them in 4K and lossless.

Regrettably, I watched NETFLIX'S latest J Lo creation ATLAS [4K/Dolby Vision] last night during a torrential rainstorm and came away from it with a BIG "MEH!" Considering they completely wasted the talents of 'co~star' Sterling K. Brown, her real co star was a 'bot' named Smith and for two hours she and her bot traded barbs which after awhile proved tedious but in the end ..... LOVE conquers ALL ...... maybe she ought to trade in current hubby Ben Affleck for SMITH! WELCOME TO THE MACHINE!

‘Atlas’ key art

Just watched "Run Lola Run", 5.1, on Amazon Prime. German subtitles. Great very surrounding soundtrack at times reminding me a bit of Kraftwerk (it wasn't).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_Lola_Run

"Soundtrack[edit]
The soundtrack, by Tykwer, Johnny Klimek, and Reinhold Heil, includes numerous musical quotations of the sustained string chords of The Unanswered Question, an early 20th-century chamber ensemble work by American composer Charles Ives. In the original work, the chords are meant to represent "the Silences of the Druids—who Know, See and Hear Nothing".

The techno soundtrack established dialectical relation between motives of the movie: Rhythm, Repetition, and Interval among various spatio-temporal logics. This produces unification of contradictions like Time and Space or The cyclical and the linear."
The 4k remaster was released by Sony on 4k disc in 2022. It is being re-released in theaters this summer.

https://deadline.com/video/run-lola-run-trailer/

The LONG, LONG wait is finally over! Today, I finally had my SONY VPL~VW995ES LCoS 3D capable laser projector installed with a Carl Zeiss Glass lens and I am in literal video NIRVANA!

I even had a 120" diagonal projection screen imported from the UK with a black backing [beneath the exterior matte white finish] to boost black/contrast levels.

To say the picture is extraordinary is an understatement. With over 500 UHD4K movies+ in my arsenal to choose from what will I be watching tonight?

Coupled with my all Meridian sound system [7.1.4 [subs]] I know I'm in for a real treat!

https://www.projectorreviews.com/so...-review-sonys-new-flagship-expensive-awesome/

R.0ecfc26ae35268c9d1bdbadb4c7fb46c

Okay I get it any kinda comment like mine goes to the sin bin
I havent time for cyberbullying okay so I leave it where I left it and desist & subside with anything that could be accused of that

Back