RIP Pete Namlook

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKA

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
It very much surprises me to not see someone else pass this information on yet, as the Fax label has offered numerous 5.1 releases in its time, but Peter Khulmann, aka Pete Namlook, one of the most prolific electronic musicians of all time and founder of the Fax label, passed away sometime last week at the age of 51.

He was not a household name, but both Namlook and the Fax label have enjoyed a rabid following for close to twenty years. At his peak, Namlook released an album a week on the label, many of which had some input from Peter himself. Peter was second to Brian Eno to me in his ability to create ambient music which served to challenge and engage the listener even as it also faded into the background. He was not all just about ambient, as the Fax label was strong in the trance scene, but also dabbling in ambient jazz and krautrock.

There have been more than a handful of Fax released in 5.1, all of which are of very good quality.

Namlook was one of my biggest musical heroes. He turned me from just another kid who got caught up in the techno wave of the late 80's into a fan of a much more challenging form of electronic music. He was my gateway to Brian Eno and many other artists. I spent a lot of time buying up whatever new import release I could find but, also, utilizing my connections in Miami to help get the rarest of these releases into the hands of fans across the country at a time where the rarity of music actually existed. I even got to directly email with Peter on more than one occasion.

His loss is an extremely sad one, both to fans of electronic music, but also fans of surround.

Yes, you are right that he should be remembered in this forum as someone who consequently released his output (and even most of his many collaborations) in 5.1 on the DTS-CD format from 2006 on. All of those were limited editions, once sold-out only the (stereo) download versions are available.
He is reasonably well known in the electronic music scene. His passing comes very unexpectedly, as I've seen him play a live set just 2 months ago. It was his first (and last) live performance in 11 years.

from the festival info:
Pete Namlook is an influential ambient techno producer and composer from Frankfurt, Germany. He has collaborated with many artists such as Klaus Schulze, Bill Laswell, Geir Jenssen (aka Biosphere) and Richie Hawtin. Incubate was very honoured to have Pete Namlook, since he hadn’t performed for eleven years. His performance at Incubate 2012 was an extended DJ-set though, it was his first in The Netherlands since 1993!

After his set he stayed in the side wings, dancing on the sets of his label-mates.

Wow, had not heard the news of Pete Namlook's passing. Although most of what I have of his is stereo, the surround music I do have is fantastic, especially some of his collaborations (e.g. Gabriel le Mar & Klaus Schulze). I've always intended to try to track down more of the surround music.

Back