Robin Trower Bridge of Sighs New 5.1 and Dolby Atmos Mixes!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The disappointment with this release is to be expected. It's a 3 piece band, with a few flourishes of added production. So how discrete and surroundy can it get?

I don't have mine yet. But It reminds me of the recent Mark Knopfler release. Again, sparce production. Not much discrete surround. And many disliked it because of that. But that release is one of the most realistic sounding releases I have ever heard, in any format. I'm convinced it was created that way on purpose.

At one time realistic reproduction was a primary goal with surround. Now if we don't have stuff calling attention to itself by flying overhead in a truly artificial way, the mix is a bust.

The question here is, do you get a more realistic rendition of the music than flat stereo can provide? I'll get to answer that for myself on June 10.

Last edited:
While not necessarily a title I'd use to demonstrate all that the format can do, I think the Atmos mix is better than it's getting credit for.

As expected, the songs with the most 'production' are highlights. The chimes and wind sounds in the title track move all around and above just as you'd hope, and a second guitar bounces between the side speakers at the end (during the outro part with the spoken voices). The wah-wah guitar part in "In This Place" is completely isolated in the side speakers, with another guitar over in rear left. "Too Rolling Stoned" places the backing vocals squarely in the rear speakers, while the handclaps and 'party sound' during the second half extends from the back up into the height channels.

Even the straight-ahead 'power trio' songs like "Day of the Eagle" manage to fill the room in a decent way - the drums & bass are pretty much nailed down to the front speakers, but Trower's double-tracked guitars seem to be spread over all four corners. During the solo, there's a one-note rhythm guitar part that's coming only from the back. Dewar's voice in mostly in the front speakers, but often lifted a bit into the front heights (interestingly, the bass guitar hovers up there with him for "The Fool and Me").

While not necessarily a title I'd use to demonstrate all that the format can do, I think the Atmos mix is better than it's getting credit for.

As expected, the songs with the most 'production' are highlights. The chimes and wind sounds in the title track move all around and above just as you'd hope, and a second guitar bounces between the side speakers at the end (during the outro part with the spoken voices). The wah-wah guitar part in "In This Place" is completely isolated in the side speakers, with another guitar over in rear left. "Too Rolling Stoned" places the backing vocals squarely in the rear speakers, while the handclaps and 'party sound' during the second half extends from the back up into the height channels.

Even the straight-ahead 'power trio' songs like "Day of the Eagle" manage to fill the room in a decent way - the drums & bass are pretty much nailed down to the front speakers, but Trower's double-tracked guitars seem to be spread over all four corners. During the solo, there's a one-note rhythm guitar part that's coming only from the back. Dewar's voice in mostly in the front speakers, but often lifted a bit into the front heights (interestingly, the bass guitar hovers up there with him for "The Fool and Me").
This sounds like it's right up my alley. Thanks.

Sounds promising, thanks!

I fully trust your assessment Jonathan. :SG Thanks.
Bring on June 7th!!

I couldn't agree more. Apart from the very beginning of "Eagle" I found this to be quite an immersive mix and I like the way the several guitar parts are spread around the room.

The only thing that confused me a bit was the absence of the chimes at the beginning "Bridge" on the 2024 stereo mix but at least the notes explain that this mix uses slightly extended variations for the songs so it seems to be a choice rather than a mistake.

Thorougly enjoyable addition to the library.

Hi everyone ! This evening I have posted a review and unboxing of this that I hope helps to clear up some concerns about this set and the various mixes. Thanks for taking a look !

Thank you for the thorough review. Glad to know the Atmos mix is solid. I agree about proper packaging and presentation. They add value to the purchase for us and the label should be meeting a standard every time. This configuration as a physical box looks to be on the cheap side. Like you, I’m very happy the music is available and will focus on the positives. However, not until next week as I am waiting on Amazon…

Well...CD's included as extra's with BD's. Usually they are just "throwaways" so to speak for me. I did skim through the CD's after ripping them and I found nothing of any particular value.
In this case in particular, I think there's no value in having the CD's other than to jack up the price. Was the price worth it to get the Atmos? Yes.
Would I have been happier with the CD's excluded and a lower price? Hell yes.
But is what it is and finally we have BOS's in a good mch format(s). Rock on, Robin Trower. Long may you fly.

Thanks for your take @shedsoundsmedia.

Well...CD's included as extra's with BD's. Usually they are just "throwaways" so to speak for me. I did skim through the CD's after ripping them and I found nothing of any particular value.
In this case in particular, I think there's no value in having the CD's other than to jack up the price. Was the price worth it to get the Atmos? Yes.
Would I have been happier with the CD's excluded and a lower price? Hell yes.
But is what it is and finally we have BOS's in a good mch format(s). Rock on, Robin Trower. Long may you fly.

Thanks for your take @shedsoundsmedia.
There are very few box sets where I wouldn’t be happier with a stand alone BR for a much more reasonable price. And they know that but they want to extract as many $$$ from us as they can, and we know that.

Excellent overview that increases my anticipation for the delayed release (ordered from Amazon). It's a shame that so many of these deluxe reissues still insist on packing in redundant CD's (not to mention unwanted vinyl) simply to jack up the prices instead of fully utilizing a single blu-ray, especially when the cd's are compressed all to hell and don't include any different material.

When you see that the Jethro Tull style book sets are universally praised as the gold standard for these reissues, both for content and packaging, it's frustrating that so few other artists/record companies are willing to use the same format (Marillion and Fish excepted). Still, I'd welcome deluxe reissues of Robin's 70's output from Twice Removed From Yesterday through Victims Of The Fury.

Excellent overview that increases my anticipation for the delayed release (ordered from Amazon). It's a shame that so many of these deluxe reissues still insist on packing in redundant CD's (not to mention unwanted vinyl) simply to jack up the prices instead of fully utilizing a single blu-ray, especially when the cd's are compressed all to hell and don't include any different material.

When you see that the Jethro Tull style book sets are universally praised as the gold standard for these reissues, both for content and packaging, it's frustrating that so few other artists/record companies are willing to use the same format (Marillion and Fish excepted). Still, I'd welcome deluxe reissues of Robin's 70's output from Twice Removed From Yesterday through Victims Of The Fury.
I liked the Clutching at Straws book set, it’s maybe a step or so down from Tull box quality but overall I’m pretty happy with it.

Back