Roger Waters Dark Side Redux

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
So, Waters Dark Side of the Moon Redux is out on CD and streaming. Prior to this I'd only heard the Money single. On first listen I thought it was one of the worst covers id ever heard. Maybe it is.

But I kind of warmed up to it a bit, the album that is, not the single. It still kinda sucks

I encourage you to have a go at this album yourself. Here is my take.

The redux starts by taking the entire musical side of DSOTM and flushes it. No guitar solos remain at all. Preserve most of the melodies of the original, but perform them mostly with synth and strings. There is still bass guitar. Its stripped down beyond belief.

As for the lyrics, Waters added to them. A lot. And of course that is his super power anyway. The full lyric for Free Four from Obscured by Clouds shows up.....as spoken word. Throughout the album there are extra stories. The one in Money is about a prizefighter who has sold his soul to the devil. Time doesn't have a single clock, it does however have additional words. Any Color You Like concerns itself with flags of different colors. Brain Damage starts with the line "What if we re-record Dark Side of the Moon? (Laughing). He's gone mad!". (But we know he's mad, he's always been mad). šŸ˜€

Im not going to outline any more of this, but there is a lot more in there to be found. The bottom line here is that musically, this doesn't come remotely close to matching the original. Lyrically, it goes far beyond the original themes.

Who knows, you may like it. I have to say it not something that will be in heavy rotation but it IS interesting.

And please, let's not go off on the guys political views, as so often happens with Waters discussions.

Last edited:
I will trust the majority of the reviews and be satisfied with just getting the BR next week.

Not listened to it yet. My take on Waters is he's great on lyrics, not always so much on music. I always got the sense he felt "held back" in PF from comments after departing from them. Maybe just his worst instincts filtered out? IDK.
I give him due credit for his successes, and his failures.
In my book "The Wall" doesn't stand as well as "Quadrophenia", but it ain't shabby.

Not listened to it yet. My take on Waters is he's great on lyrics, not always so much on music.
This is so true. With this album the focus is most definitely on lyrics, both sung and spoken. The musical aspect of DSOTM is completely pushed to the background like an afterthought. This tends to force the listener to focus on the verbal parts almost exclusively. He said he wanted to drive the albums points home (since, apparently, we were too stupid to get it the first time around).

I once read a Gilmour interview where he said something like how Roger was lyric focused and would be fine with a set of well done lyrics played with simple repetitive music bits. Conversely, he would prefer a wide musical landscape with a simple repetitive lyric.

It's better than listening in stereo, but nothing remarkable. I've listened a couple of times and wouldn't be able to tell you any highlights
Thanks. I will continue to hold off then, even though I do like every note from his catalog. One day I will be in the right frame of mind.

Thanks. I will continue to hold off then, even though I do like every note from his catalog. One day I will be in the right frame of mind.
Apart from Money, it's not that bad (excluding also the side 4 of the LP that is a bad joke). Accompany it with some old liquor and give it a chance.

Back