ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have the B&O in my Audi and play my DVD-A and DVD's all the time and love it. To bad I can't play any SACD Surround.

You could transfer all of your multichannel tunes (from SACD, Blu-ray, DVD-A, DVD-V, DTS-CD discs, whatever) to an SD card or USB stick as FLAC files. You could optionally copy them to the internal jukebox, but that is limited to 9.9 GB (I store my Audi's baby pictures and videos there). Convert your SACD DSD to 88.2 kHz PCM (best result in the Audi IMHO). The largest SDXC card I'm using for playback in my 2018 A4 allroad can hold 1TB. I've been listening to quad, 5.1 and 7.1 tunes -- I haven't yet checked for 7.1 channels in the sedan models. And remember to turn off the Surround effect!

b9_allroad_b&o.png

All that may be over my head but I'll look into it. SACD won't play if it's not hybrid if I remember right. I have put in the jukebox hybrid SACD. Can't get surround out of the jukebox.

Just a few comments about the 3D sound system, shown in the picture. I would have question how well it would sound. The surround speakers are very tiny looking and the tweeters are much too far away from their respective mid-range and woofers. My old Pathfinder had tweeters mounted in front as shown, I had to disconnect them as the sound produced was very unnatural (ear piecing even), much too far removed from the main sound source.

I used to have it, but then a radio station encoded a police siren in Dolby Surround and I thought it was real.

It is better not to have effects that make you think a traffic situation exists.

I used to have it, but then a radio station encoded a police siren in Dolby Surround and I thought it was real.

It is better not to have effects that make you think a traffic situation exists.

I remember back in the late '60s my friend and I were driving somewhere, listening to AM radio, and the song "Indiana Wants Me" by someone I forgot, but it was a popular song. In the song, they played the sound of a police siren. We both thought there was a cop behind us trying to pull us over. For real.

Never forgot that. (and that was shitty AM radio stereo)

woa my man, not sure what a wolfenstein is but to start with you need a cd ripping program, I use dbpoweramp it's cheap and works great, but there are some free ones out there to start with like Ashampoo free, download that one and you can wolf away.

ok I think win media player will only play files and discs, and burn what you have but it won't rip (save to pc) but whatever floats your boat my friend

You could transfer all of your multichannel tunes (from SACD, Blu-ray, DVD-A, DVD-V, DTS-CD discs, whatever) to an SD card or USB stick as FLAC files. You could optionally copy them to the internal jukebox, but that is limited to 9.9 GB (I store my Audi's baby pictures and videos there). Convert your SACD DSD to 88.2 kHz PCM (best result in the Audi IMHO). The largest SDXC card I'm using for playback in my 2018 A4 allroad can hold 1TB. I've been listening to quad, 5.1 and 7.1 tunes -- I haven't yet checked for 7.1 channels in the sedan models. And remember to turn off the Surround effect!
I'm dying here! My Acura plays DTS discs, so I've created a bunch (hundreds) of them to play 5.1 in the car. But, seriously, is this 1990? Why do I need to have CDs in my car. Unfortunately, multi channel is not supported with USB sticks or other devices plugged into the system. I've been looking for a reasonable alternative for years. I'm just not ready to tear apart my system for it.

I remember back in the late '60s my friend and I were driving somewhere, listening to AM radio, and the song "Indiana Wants Me" by someone I forgot, but it was a popular song. In the song, they played the sound of a police siren. We both thought there was a cop behind us trying to pull us over. For real.

That was done by Canadian R. Dean Taylor, I think that both he and Rare Earth were the only white artists to record for Motown records, his records were released under the Rare Earth label.

Last edited:
That was done by Canadian R. Dean Taylor, I think that both he and Rare Earth were the only white artists to record for Motown records, his records were released under the Rare Earth label.
Not too long ago I played a black friend of mine some Rare Earth and some 5th Dimension and then asked him to tell me the racial makeup of the two bands. He got them both wrong. :)

I think I still have the single somewhere, but I haven't seen it in years - it was in the charts in the UK in 1971 R Dean Taylor "Indiana Wants Me"

Also have Duke Nukem!
Do all of your DVDA's play in your Audi? Not all of mine do. From what I gather has something to do with video dvda's or non video ones.
Have the B&O in my Audi and play my DVD-A and DVD's all the time and love it. To bad I can't play any SACD Surround.
Do all of your DVDA's play in your car? Not all of mine do. From what I gather has something to do with if it has video or not. Two that come to mind are John Hiatt Bring The Family and Yes Fragile.

Back