Room Correction: How, why, where?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do agree that it's benefits are worth it's "bugs" but personally do find the changing of the rear balance annoying. I've tried to compensate for it by "re-adjusting" the rear levels but the fact that it is dynamic and changes with volume level makes it impossible to completely correct for.
I have for years hoped that the powers at Audyssey would remove this "feature". Of all the discussions that has gone on at AVS Forum and others, I've never remember reading where anyone thought it was a good thing. Also I don't know the other systems like Dirac etc like I do Audyssey, but I don't remember reading where any of them mess with rear channel levels dynamically with SPL?
Just don't make sense to me, but obviously someone at Audyssey did. LOL
In my personal experience, I've not seen Dirac Live try to boost the rear channels for lower volume.
Of course, with Dirac Live, if your AVR will hold several pre figured EQ curves that you can switch between, one could have one or more that boost an EQ band on one or more or all speakers. I have recently found that after running Dirac Live with it's multiple mic placements at different elevations about the listening position, adding the -6dB Harman curve helped the low end response. I don't have multiple subs, and my corners and center can get down fairly low, though the Dirac Live sets all the corners at 70Hz crossover and it works out. I can, and do, change that in pursuit of better for my tastes.
Dirac Live is not perfect, as is any room correction software I've used. But in my personal opinion it's pretty good and getting better.

Dirac Live is not perfect, as is any room correction software I've used. But in my personal opinion it's pretty good and getting better.
Right on. From the base Audyssey to it's TOTL MultiEQ-X, from the base Dirac to it's newest ART, and all the rest,
the final result is gonna depend more on the nut behind the configuration software than just about anything else.
I've been using the $20 Editor app running in Win10 Bluestacks andriod emulator software on my 32" monitor, and then doing some final checks with REW and a Umik2 and am quite pleased with the final results.
I am considering buying the $200 MultiEQ-X software since lately I've been having trouble connecting to the Denon with BlueStacks but I'd hate to spend the money only to find I still can't connect, that maybe the problem lies somewhere else.
My brain hurts lately. :poop:

I do agree that it's benefits are worth it's "bugs" but personally do find the changing of the rear balance annoying. I've tried to compensate for it by "re-adjusting" the rear levels but the fact that it is dynamic and changes with volume level makes it impossible to completely correct for.
I have for years hoped that the powers at Audyssey would remove this "feature". Of all the discussions that has gone on at AVS Forum and others, I've never remember reading where anyone thought it was a good thing. Also I don't know the other systems like Dirac etc like I do Audyssey, but I don't remember reading where any of them mess with rear channel levels dynamically with SPL?
Just don't make sense to me, but obviously someone at Audyssey did. LOL
I completely agree that the rear channel boost should be made an optional feature.

One thing I'm not 100% clear on: while the loudness compensation effect of DEQ changes with master volume, i.e., if you listen at the reference level, the DEQ compensation is zero, and increases gradually as you lower the MV, is the same shown to be true of the rear channel boost? I would think of course it must, but not sure.

I completely agree that the rear channel boost should be made an optional feature.

One thing I'm not 100% clear on: while the loudness compensation effect of DEQ changes with master volume, i.e., if you listen at the reference level, the DEQ compensation is zero, and increases gradually as you lower the MV, is the same shown to be true of the rear channel boost? I would think of course it must, but not sure.
If I follow you correctly, yes I believe your right on that.

Back