Rush - Moving Pictures Blu-ray disc rot

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I treat all physical discs as a fragile temporary delivery system. My "purchase" is not complete until I successfully rip it to my library. Then it can go Mission Impossible and self destruct.

This doesn't seem ideal...

The physical disk should be able to be considered a backup IMHO. And it sure as hell isn't right now!
I haven't had an issue yet (knock knock knock) with the Verbatim BDRs I've burnt for an archive backup. (10 years into using BDRs now.) I'm vaguely aware of an extra expensive BDR available with 1000 year claims or some such thing. Haven't tried that... What does "try that" even mean with such a product, right? Pay $10 a disc or whatever the stupid price is vs $1 and cross your fingers the lifespan claim is right? While assuming the still decent couple hundred year claim of the $1 BDR is wrong?

Hmmm...

I'd like to say the 5.1 remix on this disc mentioned here is so insulting to the original that the physical BD here made the right call! Still not OK.

Keep 3 copies of everything and manage it. Keep one someplace else. This is apparently still the best we can do. Turn your back on the "manage it" part for a minute and it all collapses though. This is still not ideal. Vinyl seems more thought out for longevity, actually. Fragile and analog generational as it is.

Keep 3 copies of everything and manage it. Keep one someplace else.
[/QUOTE]
I do this , not as any great virtue, just that I personally like using the NAS and JRiver combination to listen to music. I have yet to rip a video disc, with them I like popping videodiscs in tray, selecting audio, etc.
Like for instance with this Rush disc, I have the surround ripped and stored, but like Gos, I have to use the actual video disc for that portion.

I sympathize with people who don't rip, it should not be a requirement to buy and rip discs, they are not sold with that intention.
There is a respectable learning curve to ripping various formats, but highly rewarding in the end.
My 3 copy routine is purchase disc (1)>rip disc and store on NAS (2)>copy over ripped file to another external hard drive that only has my music (3)>delete ripped file from my PC so as not to clog it up.

But who can really afford to back things up 2-3 times? What if you have a 12tb drive that dies suddenly? I guess with there not being a huge amount a music blu-ray it is possible. So far my whole collection is on 2x 4tb drives and the 2nd still has room, but for my movies they take up so much more space. At the moment the discs are now the backup until I eventually get the HDD's cloned.

Something is not quite right with these discs. CDs don't have this problem, nor dvds. I've got CDs from mid 80s that still play and rip. A blu-ray that is not even 10 years old has rotted. It's becoming a problem. I can already forsee a disc dying pandemic in the next 5 years or so. I guess the companies and manufacturers won't care either as they want to push everyone to streaming and "renting" instead of owning.

I sympathize with people who don't rip, it should not be a requirement to buy and rip discs, they are not sold with that intention.
They even go out of their way to make ripping difficult sometimes!
That's really the bottom line no matter how you prefer to archive and listen though.

I guess buyer beware and all. Having a few computer skills goes a long way with this one in the end. Not to suggest defending 'temporary' discs.

Sometimes I might only have two copies of something. That's the bare minimum. You have to be alert and then hope nothing blows up during the first backup to a new drive when recovering from one of the two drives dying.

I also keep additional backup copies of some of my music collection offsite at a few of my generous friends homes.

I also keep additional backup copies of some of my music collection offsite at a few of my generous friends homes.

If I had more ambition I'd try to set up something like that. I do have offsite backups at Jottacloud, but it would be nice to have a mutual backup society with local(-ish) friends.

For my movies and music I have the source, ~50% online at any given time, a full backup on USB and another copy on SATA (archived using a USB->SATA cable)
I do it this way because at this point, the drive space is much less expensive than the amount of my time it would take to rerip and tag.
I realize that isn't true for everybody so can only suggest archiving as much as you can, with an eye on your BR audio since it seems to be the most poorly made of the media types.

audio DVD/BR I keep the full rip, movies I keep the encoded versions using h265, not the raw source.

At least it's a Chycki mix that's rotting? o_O

Ps. Ban @Snood

A RUSH to Judgment, Mike?

See the source image

For the Love of Mike, Something's ROTTEN in the State of Snoodsville!

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
My 3 copy routine is purchase disc (1)>rip disc and store on NAS (2)>copy over ripped file to another external hard drive that only has my music (3)>delete ripped file from my PC so as not to clog it up.
[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I do as well. Often I never play the original again.

Yea I bought both when they came out but only opened the DVDA. I should sell the bluray but I never opened it. In all fairness I should to see if I have a cd and a coaster.

I thought I'd give ripping my dead disc with MakeMKV a go, but it recognises the disc that is about it! I'm curious to know if everyone has the errors in the same disc offsets?

Using LibreDrive mode (v06.2 id=49D9E44B45CD)
Backing up disc into folder "D:/Video/backup/Rush - Moving Pictures"
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE14NU40 1.01' at offset '19034734592'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE14NU40 1.01' at offset '19034736640'
udf: node fe/efe failed!
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE14NU40 1.01' at offset '19008520192'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE14NU40 1.01' at offset '19008532480'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE14NU40 1.01' at offset '19021692928'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE14NU40 1.01' at offset '19021729792'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE14NU40 1.01' at offset '19008520192'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE14NU40 1.01' at offset '19008532480'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE14NU40 1.01' at offset '19021692928'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE14NU40 1.01' at offset '19021729792'
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE14NU40 1.01' at offset '19007537152'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/AUXDATA/sound.bdmv' at offset '43008'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/AUXDATA/sound.bdmv' at offset '43008'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE14NU40 1.01' at offset '19007537152'
Encountered 8 errors of type 'Read Error' - see Error classification
Backup failed

Unfortunately mine's dead too. Doesn't look particularly bronzed and is recognised as a BD but makeMKV gives up almost right away:

MakeMKV v1.15.4 win(x64-release) started
Backing up disc into folder "G:/BD/Rush - Moving Pictures"
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-ROM PIONEER BD-ROM BDC-207D 1.00' at offset '19007494144'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/AUXDATA/sound.bdmv' at offset '0'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/AUXDATA/sound.bdmv' at offset '0'
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:441E' occurred while reading '/BDMV/AUXDATA/sound.bdmv' at offset '0'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-ROM PIONEER BD-ROM BDC-207D 1.00' at offset '19007494144'
Encountered 8 errors of type 'Read Error' - see Error classification
Backup failed

Safe to say the disc is a coaster.

I did buy the DVD edition of it as the time so I have that to fall back on.

Ive just tried my Blu-ray and its totally knackered. :mad:

When I put it in the player it made an awful sound and I ejected it immediately.
On inspection the disc spindle hole has cracks around the perimiter, it has started to delaminate and its discoloured.

Hopefully it hasnt knackered my player

I then trawled the internet and found this thread.

Looks as though this could be a manuafacturing/material fault ??

My DVD-Audio version and CD's are fine.

Back