Rush: Snakes and Arrows rumour!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daved64

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Nothing official, but here's a rumour over at www.rushisaband.com
Although nothing has been officially announced, exciting rumors are surfacing regarding the new album! The latest rumor is that besides the standard cd format, Snakes & Arrows, along with the new Linkin Park album, will be the first albums released on Warner Music's new "DVD Album" format. This format will be a 25,000 copy limited edition, and will include a special 26 page booklet.

Announced by Warner Music last August, in an age where fans will spend $3.00 to buy a ring tone but won't spend $12 to buy a cd, record companies are trying to find new ways to entice fans to buy the album. Not to be confused with the DualDisc format, this will be a fully interactive DVD, and will include the album in 5.1 surround sound, as well as a ~43 minute "making of" video, cel-phone ringtones, wallpapers, text, and other digital extras that can only be accessed via computer, including the ability to extract the album tracks onto the users computer for use in mp3 players, etc. The limited edition will retail in the area of $24, while the cd version will be around $12.

The downside is, the limited edition may not be ready in time for the pre-announced May 1st release date. Accordingly, WEA is kicking around keeing the cd release on May 1st while releasing the special edition it two weeks later (as some online retailers currently have it listed). The other option is to delay the release of both editions until May 15th, so fans who can't wait do not feel obligated to buy the cd version first, followed by the limited edition two weeks later. WEA would like to avoid this second option, however, as this is the same release date as the new Linkin Park album and would thus compete for sales. More details to follow.

Confirmed:

New, never before released DVD-Album format.

The Rush Snakes & Arrows DVD-album comes in a deluxe box, and includes these 13 new songs in hi-resolution audio, the entire album in 5.1 surround sound, a video documentary on the making of the album, and more.

About DVD Albums: With a higher storage capacity than the standard CD, this DVD-album is loaded with exciting new features including superior sound quality plus a wide range of video features and interactive digital content combine to bring you closer to the artists and their music. It plays in all standard DVD players, computers, and game consoles with DVD drives. Digital music files are compatible with all MP3 devices.

Hope they don't mess up things and at the end we find 5.1 ringtones... :)

It's a FACT; May 1st, 2007:

Item #: R4CD02 Snakes & Arrows - DVD-Album $21.99

New, never before released DVD-Album format.

The Rush Snakes & Arrows DVD-album comes in a deluxe box, and includes these 13 new songs in hi-resolution audio, the entire album in 5.1 surround sound, a video documentary on the making of the album, and more.

About DVD Albums: With a higher storage capacity than the standard CD, this DVD-album is loaded with exciting new features including superior sound quality plus a wide range of video features and interactive digital content combine to bring you closer to the artists and their music. It plays in all standard DVD players, computers, and game consoles with DVD drives. Digital music files are compatible with all MP3 devices.

Track Listing:
1. Far Cry
2. Armor and Sword
3. Workin’ Them Angels
4. The Larger Bowl
5. Spindrift
6. The Main Monkey Business
7. The Way The Wind Blows
8. Hope
9. Faithless
10. Bravest Face
11. Good News First
12. Malignant Narcissism
13. We Hold On

Plus the entire album in 5.1 surround sound and a 43 minute video documentary on the making of the album.

..just hi rez stereo and lossy 5.1 (DD or DTS)
that makes sense regarding
It plays in all standard DVD players, computers, and game consoles with DVD drives.

If only the mastering/mixing was done better than the (butchered) last one (Vapour Trails), it would improve more than 24/48 will. ;)

At least it gives the idea what Warner means by DVD-album. A DVD with a surround mix (and probably 24/48 stereo) is maybe not all what we hoped for. I also hate it when it would be called "limited", what does it mean except higher price and resorting to web shop with high sipping costs?

BTW on the "Rush-preorder shop the price difference is $16 for CD to $23 for the DVD.

Last edited:
:mad: They can forget it ...... No MLP and nearly twice the price of the CD :eek:

I still hope Warner will include MLP on the world's 1st (2nd, 3rd or 4th :D ) DVD-Album. They can still write will play on any DVD players - in DD/DTS!

Nothing stopping them including DVD-Audio content; not as if the MP3s are going to take up much space. Warner did say up front that DVD-Albums could be DVD-Video or DVD-Audio.

Just look at Seal's Best 1991-2004 disc for what you can fit on a DVD:

14 tracks in 5.1 88.2/24 and Dolby Digital and 2-channel PCM
13 tracks in 5.1 44.1/24 and Dolby Digital and 2-channel PCM
10 videos in Dolby Digital and 2-channel PCM

So don't tell me that a DVD-Album won't have room for high-res content just because they've popped a few MP3s on (which require <1% of the DVD space)...

But I agree that the wording on this particular release suggests that only the stereo version might be high res. But contrary to various people above, I've not seen anyone definitively say that it isn't high-res 5.1.

They reason I want MLP is so I can play it in the car without having to go throught the extra step of converting it myself...:D

Cduniverse is selling a cd/dvd package of this. I asked if this included the dvd album with surround and got this helpful response:

"Thank you for your email. I apologize for any inconveniences.
Unfortunately, the only information we have received from our suppliers,
are the details on the site.

Please feel free to email me if you need further assistance."

Yep, with a response like that, you can be sure I'll email back if I need assistance.:(

Cduniverse is selling a cd/dvd package of this. I asked if this included the dvd album with surround and got this helpful response:

"Thank you for your email. I apologize for any inconveniences.
Unfortunately, the only information we have received from our suppliers,
are the details on the site.

Please feel free to email me if you need further assistance."

Yep, with a response like that, you can be sure I'll email back if I need assistance.:(

These companies should just respond with a form letter that reads:

"We didn't bother to read your email, but we're so glad that you sent it. Next time, save your time and effort. Thanks for being our customer, and let us know if we can help you again in the future."

The above response could be used by just about any company in the world, because it WOULD, after all, apply! :rolleyes:

Once in a great while I get somebody there who SEEMS to care about all the "DVD Audio" dics that aren't DVD-A and we get the section cleaned up for a while. Then it starts all over again with a new person and I haven't had the enthusiasm lately to pursue it. (training new CS reps that is)

The DVD-Album is pushed back to May 15th. However, the worst news is the confusion between DVD-Album and DVD-Audio. Here is a copy&paste from what the rush.com site has emailed yesterday to their mailing-list members:

Special Pre-Sale for Rush CD or DVD Album!
May 1st, 2007 marks the release of Snakes & Arrows, the 18th studio album by renowned rock trio Rush. This is also the first album ever to be released as a DVD-Album (release date May 15th). As a special pre-sale for the album, Rush.com is offering a special opportunity for fans to order Snakes & Arrows on CD or DVD-Audio with an Exclusive T-Shirt not available elsewhere (Click Here to Pre-Order!)

All orders will also receive a limited edition sticker for free!

http://rush-preorder.shop.musictoday.com/Dept.aspx?cp=10852_10946

Geez... $47.00 for the new titltle and a T-Shirt. Now that is a "special pre-sale" alright:rolleyes:

On the plus side though. The DVD Album package is only $6.00 more than the standard cd version.

Greg

It could well be DVD-Audio. The two aren't mutually exclusive... :rolleyes:
Hehe, you're right... It's just that I'm so much pessimistic about this DVD-Album being a DVD-A, that I assumed this was a mistake. Maybe not after all. I would be... terrific. Can't wait to have the full specs !!!

Update : it looks like it is really a DVD-A... here is what Amazon.com lists for Snakes & Arrows (Limited Edition MVI DVD) :

DVD Audio (May 22, 2007)
# Please Note: This is a DVD-Audio disc which is playable on most DVD players as well as all DVD-Audio players.

Last edited:
Back