SACD or SHM-SACD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
V

Varian

Hi,
What is a SACD or SHM-SACD? Can you play that on a cd player? Can you record or make mp3s and cds into SACD or SHM-SACD? Do they have SACD or SHM-SACD Players? Do SACD or SHM-SACD Player Record? Is there any computer programs that you can use to make Mp3s and CDs into SACD or SHM-SACD? If so what are the names of the computer programs? Can SACD or SHM-SACD seperate sound to come from different speakers or make it discrete like Quadraphonic used to be? What kind of Surround Sound Receiver would you need to play SACD or SHM-SACD? Also what Surround Sound mode do you have to put the Receiver in to play SACD or SHM-SACD? Email me back.

Thanks,
Varian

Wow. Too many questions for me. But no you cannot play a SHM SACD on a CD player.

and buried in amongst them is the same question he's been asking a dozen times, in too meny threads to mention..

....."Can you make Stereo CD's and Music on a Ipod in to Quadraphonic Sound?
How would I do a Stereo to Quadraphonic Conversion?
If I where to record the Snoop Dogg Songs from the Ipod to a reel to reel Quadraphonic tape record would it play in Quadraphonic sound then?
Also If I put Quadraphonic records and reel to reel Quadraphonic tape on an Ipod would it play on the Ipod in Quadraphonic sound?"...........

and now it's........." Can SACD or SHM-SACD seperate sound to come from different speakers or make it discrete like Quadraphonic used to be?"...........

not to mention ...this guy asks this same question over and over, every few months, across forums. ...........= he is bordering on being a complete TROLL

Oh, so I responded to a troll. Hmmm. I do like his ipod to quad reel to reel convert - it - to - discrete -quad idea. Just think of all the cool mixes I'd have then.

I am not a troll! I would like to know how to make Mp3s in to SACD. If you know please let me know thanks

SACD is a different format from CD. SHM is a manufacturing process, which can be used on CD or SACD. ALL HYBRID (DUAL LAYER) SACD's have a CD layer which will play on any CD player, albeit with CD fidelity. ALL SINGLE LAYER SACD's WILL NOT PLAY ON CD players.

Many SACD's are Multichannel, which means that they have 6 discrete channels, aka 5.1. MOST SACD's are marked as stereo or multichannel. Those with an SACD sticker, but no stereo or multichannel markings would be mono.

A surround receiver would need either 6 (5.1), 7 (6.1), or 8 (7.1) channel discrete analog inputs, or an HDMI connector, depending on the output of the SACD player.

The "surround mode" name or way to access it will vary with each receiver. My Denon receiver on my second system has an "ext. in" button. It can also be tied to a specific input. On my main system, the B&K preamp is programmable, so ANY audio and video (where applicable) source(s) can be tied to any input. I have a combination SACD/DVD-A player attached to the DVD "input". When I select that, my readout on the preamp reads DVD (source)- DVD AUD 5 (connection), meaning that the 6-channel (5.1) analog inputs are being used for audio. There is also a digital optical connection. When the preamp senses Dolby Digital or DTS, it automatically switches to the optical input for audio and routs it to the internal decoder. BTW, a preamp is the control and decoding functions of a receiver, broken out in a separate box. Power amp(s) are then connected to it. They, in turn, connect to and drive the speakers.

I've not tried to record SACD's to other media, or create SACD's. I'll leave those issues for someone who is more knowledgable.

I am not a troll! I would like to know how to make Mp3s in to SACD. If you know please let me know thanks

Do a google search for Varian quadraphonic
and see the same questions by Varian in
youtube, vinylengine, surroundbyus and avrev.com

not to mention the emails he sends out as well with the same questions added.

Back