sample rate and bitdepth questions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
If I were going to attempt to make a dvd-a with dts and dolby digital by software decoding an SQ sourced from a CD, what would be the best way to proceed? My source will be 44.1kHz 16bit. I would think that I should stick with that, as I really don't see much of a benefit of upsampling, I'm not going to magically put something there that isn't. Would there be any benefits to converting to 24bit before software decoding? Also, for dts and dolby digital encoding, does it have to be 48kHz for dvd? Or can I do 44.1? I'm pretty sure MLP can do 44.1 just fine if I recall correctly.

You can do 44.1 in Chrome for DVD-A but DVD-V needs at least 48k.

I always upsample to 9624 for decoding an SQ cd in Audition. It just seems to sound smoother to me. I don't know if it is but it sounds that way to me.

For DD or DTS it has to be 48k at least. The DTS can be at 9624 and if you have the right program (Nuendo) the DD can benefit from the 24bit as well but it needs to be at 48k. 44.1 will not work on DVD.

That's just my 2 cents. I just did Barclay James Harvest from cd and upsampling to 96kHz kept everything nice and clean.

Agree with Bob: personally i would go, since the source is a 44.1 cd, to 88.2 and 24 bit, then do all the processing. When completed, downsample to 48 for DD or DTS in a dvd-video track - and keep 88.2 for the dvd-a track.

Back