Samsung no longer making blu ray players for the US market

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do wonder if this is indeed a trend of losing physical media or if that's a bit hype and we still have players from LG, Sony and others. Plus I swear the article I read said Samsung is no longer designing new units for the US market but will continue to make existing 4K and Blu Ray models for several years.

Don't know if I care about Samsung. But, if you can believe any of the on-line stuff. Best Buy's best sellers are all Sony. But, that could all be propaganda......lmao
That is probably true. But when I was looking a while back, I think they only carried Sony, LG, and Samsung. I'd choose a Sony out of that bunch too.

I've owned several Samsung TV's and every single one of them is still in operation and have been as joy to own. But....personally, I would not have ever considered buying a Samsung blu-ray player. Oppo all the way was my theme.

I've owned several Samsung TV's and every single one of them is still in operation and have been as joy to own. But....personally, I would not have ever considered buying a Samsung blu-ray player. Oppo all the way was my theme.
Same here; just retired 2006 set last year, took living room set to office and itching to get feet into 4k anyways, bought a 49" (that I will claim in a year or so on next upgrade). did buy a Samsung Blu Ray player in 2007 and it was pretty feeble. First and last...

Reactions: GOS
SONY......has their new 8k TV at BEST BUT but it sucks picture quality to the LG OLED....actually was in BEST BUY yesterday in the MAGNOLIA section in St. Pete Fla and saw both the LG & SONY OLED side by side and the SONY for only $300 the picture quality is much better than LG’s.....even though LG are the only manufacturer of OLED screens and produce them for all other manufacturers

Only about $3K for either 65” set as opposed to $8K for LG Wallpaper which is in my opinion better than the $3K set but for $5K more I’d rather spend my money on BETTER AUDIO EQUIPMENT....because the difference in picture quality isn’t worth $5K

Oh....and by the way....the SONY 8K it is get this OMG....get ready....

$15K

Last edited:
I thought Panasonic made all or most blu ray drives? Even the SATA drives sold by Sony have Panasonic made raw drives in them. Is that not right? Was Samsung a component maker here?

If we're talking about the finished product hardware disc player machines... I'm guessing those are slowly going extinct as the computer based media center takes over.
But I'd still guess that any Samsung hardware disc player machine still probably used a Panasonic blu ray drive inside.

Had a Samsung DVD-R player - didn't think much of it. Otherwise have been fine with them for various non dedicated A/V devices.

Samsung was my first Blu-ray player and was basically my introduction into multi-channel music, so I can't fault it too much. They player was about $60 if I remember correctly and had USB on the front so I could play .flac files. But it was a cheap player that gave out after 1-2 years. On the other hand, my Samsung UHD TV has been great!

Back