Sansui 9001 acquisition.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satcom123

I just won a bid yesterday for a Sansui 9001 off the bay. It was a little pricy but have been wanting one for so long that at least worked. It has one channel out. Says the preamp board is bad. I do have a complete 9001 but it is in pieces packed in a big box that I was saving. I got that one for nothing. Always wanting to put it together. So I do have a complete set of spares. :)

Hi Satcom123! I hope you are able to get a complete 9001 working, that would be my holy grail short of a million dollar listening room. I hope the shipping costs didn't hurt too bad. I would try to repair the original boards or send them to http://www.qrxrestore.com/ and have them restored and put them in yourself. Maybe you can get the new one going then recoup your cash buy selling the lesser one. Good Luck! BTW, was the one you have in parts a working unit? Either way, you might be able to sell it as is. At the right price, including shipping, I could be tempted to try a project myself.

Thank you. I did have one that I bought off the bay back in 2009 that didn't work. But back then I was raising 4 boys on my own and had to sell it. Then later 2011 I was given a box from a local guy that had it in pieces. Through looking at it. It looked like it was all there. So I just packed it away and stored it in a cool dry place. Things are much better now. The kids are all grown and doing well. So now I have the time and budget to continue my passion. I have way to many reel to reels and a lot of speakers. I set up a little electronic section in my garage. Have a lot of test equipment too. So If I take my time I think I can make this new acquisition work.

I know what it is like needing a garage for your hobbies. I rent a garage to work on my bicycle collection. I would like to be able to work on electronics too, but anything that requires more than a bit of table space goes to a tech now. He is cheaper than renting another space and the condo I share with my partner only holds so many hobbies. I have my records and quad setup plus my knitting stash, my partner has comics and clothing and lots of disneyana and coins. Maybe one day I can find one in a box and work piece by piece and put it together. After an Akai GX 270 D-SS took up the coffee table for 3 months, I had to give up to save the relationship!:violin

Well I got the box of 9001 out of the garage. While I wait for the incoming new 9001. Yes it is still in pieces. Looked pretty bad. Cut the sides off the box so as to not injure any contents. Thank goodness I put all the plugin boards in sandwich bags. One chassis mounted board was broke in half but besides the dirt and grime, it should clean up well. At least I'll have a lot of spare parts.
I did clean up the front bezel with the sandwich glass pieces. All scratch free and looking good. All the knobs were there and the screws were in a sealed empty yogurt cup.
I still have to set up my workbench to initially check out the new one. I want to do this right and have been reading allot of postings about fixing and refurbishing these units. It is not for the light hearted.
I think I'll clean up everything in that box and preserve it a better way.

Perhaps you could turn this thread into a document of your trials and tribulations of restoring a 9001. I for one would like to watch you do it in pictures and words.

Satcom, congrats on your new acquisition! I got a nice 6001 off eBay about 5 years ago, and had it completely restored, and I was/am very happy with it. But, like you, I always wanted a 9001, so last year I just bit the bullet and bought one from qrxrestore.com and I have to say I'm really thrilled with it. Yes, it was pricey, but since I have no knowledge of how to repair electronics, it was the only way I could go.

Well I just posted an update but it got lost so I will try again.
I received the 9001 the other day with no damage and packed really well. I took the cover off for inspection and powered the unit up in 4 channel mode tuned to a radio station with headphones. Verified that front channel 2 does not work. channel two VU meter has no deflection. All other channels work. Put mode switch in 2 channel and right and left channels worked and channel two VU meter works. I did find that the fuse FO7 was blown. Replaced it and it blew again. I removed the front channel output transistors and found two of the complimentary transistors were shorted. Replaced those and a new fuse. Powering it up again it did not blow the fuse but channel two in 4 channel mode still does not work. I measured the DC offsets and found them at 2.6 mv but they would not adjust. They would but very very little. So I'll probably start the recap on the two output boards, F2624. At this time I have audio only on my headphones. There is not any audio at the rear speaker jacks.
Does anyone have a capacitor list made up for the 9001? If not I will be generating my own.

Yesterday I ordered caps and fuseable resistors for the amp cards.
sansui cap count1.jpg

Back