Sansui QR-4500 Repair needed in Washington DC Area

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrick sansui

I have a 1971 Sansui Q4500, the volume control is wearing out - crackling in the lower volumes (I bought the system during Vietnam tour in 1971). I assume the volume control is worn out and needs replacing. Can anyone suggest a stereo repair shop in the Washington DC area that could to the work. Thanks!!

patrick sansui said:
I have a 1971 Sansui Q4500, the volume control is wearing out - crackling in the lower volumes (I bought the system during Vietnam tour in 1971). I assume the volume control is worn out and needs replacing. Can anyone suggest a stereo repair shop in the Washington DC area that could to the work. Thanks!!

You could just try spraying contact cleaner (NuTrol for instance) into the control and see if that fixes things. I can't imagine it being worn out, unless it is constantly cycled.

Mike.

Quadzilla said:
You could just try spraying contact cleaner (NuTrol for instance) into the control and see if that fixes things. I can't imagine it being worn out, unless it is constantly cycled.

Mike.

Mike, thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try. The system is home use only. Thanks!!

Patrick, be sure your contact cleaner is a "plastic safe" cleaner. I learned this the hard way.

Whilst you're at it, a couple of other suggestions. If you haven't already done so, blast all the dust out with one of those cans of compressed air, and clean all the input / outputs with something like isopropyl alcohol. Cost's next to nothing, but it'll help keep the Sansui happy.

patrick sansui said:
Mike, thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try. The system is home use only. Thanks!!

Mike, I used the cleaner suggested and the crackling is gone!! Thanks!!

Scottmoose said:
Whilst you're at it, a couple of other suggestions. If you haven't already done so, blast all the dust out with one of those cans of compressed air, and clean all the input / outputs with something like isopropyl alcohol. Cost's next to nothing, but it'll help keep the Sansui happy.

Scottmoose, will do! Thanks for suggestion!

Back