Quad LP/Tape Poll Santana: Amigos [SQ]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Amigos"

• Total voters
glad you tried it rusty and glad you found it an improvement in some respects.
did you feel QS decoding it instead diminished the clanging reverb effect somewhat?

perhaps we'll never know what this is supposed to sound like, or if the way we've been hearing it SQ decoded was "as intended" all along.. but I suspect something somewhere is awry with the phase of this one.. maybe when the 4 channels were being encoded into SQ, one of the 4 channels was out of phase, since the rear channels don't cancel out CF vocals & other such info (which is what you'd expect) when you sum them to mono. hmm...

After maybe "Festival" this is my least favourite Santana album. I remember some saying that the quad was faked. It's rather odd hearing backing vocals both in front and rear, quite sure that it's not crosstalk that I'm hearing. The mix is very "discrete" sounding just rather odd. Throw in a bit of fake reverb as well. IMHO sound quality is not as good as it is on the other Santana's.

Last edited:
I picked up the Quad edition of Santana's Amigos when it turned up at my local record shop back in 1976 (no I didn't have a quad system back then but knew that I could listen to the record on my stereo set). Still one of my favorite Santana LPs thanks to 'Europa', 'Dance Sister Dance' & 'Tell Me Are You Tired'. These days, I prefer the stereo mix that's on the CD since there's less reverb. Let's see if Amigos eventually gets a quad release from either Sony Japan or Dutton-Vocalion.

Back