Sanyo Vintage Quad Speaker Grilles - Removal ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jipop

Is it possible to remove Sanyo Quad Speaker Grilles anyone know?

I would like to replace what is now quite tatty looking Speaker cloth if possible.

Thanks in advance

Is it possible to remove Sanyo Quad Speaker Grilles anyone know?

I would like to replace what is now quite tatty looking Speaker cloth if possible.

Thanks in advance
Anything is possible. Not sure how those are put together so I can't be much help but what I have done in the past to at least one set of speakers was to first staple the new cloth around the edges and then add a narrow piece of molding around the outside to cover the staples just like a picture frame.

Anything is possible. Not sure how those are put together so I can't be much help but what I have done in the past to at least one set of speakers was to first staple the new cloth around the edges and then add a narrow piece of molding around the outside to cover the staples just like a picture frame.

Thanks for your thoughts par4ken ...I am going with your idea ! However on mine I hit a speed bump straightaway - when I started to remove the old cloth - the chamfer particle board they were formed around partially disintegrated like powder! This seems typical somewhat with aging chip/particle board like this. What Ive done so far is chisel ...(yes chisel) whats left of the raised form/chamfer board to flat - same level as the rest of the Grille. This should allow me to do the same as you, stapling the cloth to the existing speaker frame (or directly to the grille perhaps?) and use then thin wooden beading glued around as per picture frame idea to hide the joins - or I could try to make up new chamfered frame to make it look Original..to do that I think I would have to make the frame first, then attach the cloth and then screw mount the new frame to the speaker grille.

To remove the whole grille assembly...its possible but destructive - as the grille has been glued and stapled and screwed in place - given the degrading aging particle board which is used for the grill I think it best to do what Im doing...even though chiselling particle board is no fun at all!...I might try one of those Multi-Vibrating Tools on the next speaker to see if any easier and faster.

Attachments

• Form-Chamfer-Cloth Original.jpg
    Form-Chamfer-Cloth Original.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Speaker Damaged Edging Removed.jpg
    Speaker Damaged Edging Removed.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Back