Say if someone were seriously interested....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
.... in making Sound Engineering not only a hobby but a career as well? Is it possible and if so, what steps does one have to take? Many nights I find myself sitting in front of Cool Edit Pro downmixing some of my quads into stereo mp3 files. I know, I know - - sorta defeats the purpose of Quad, but a lot of the songs are alternate mixes and not available anywhere else. Anyway, I find myself learning more and more about phase shift, mixing, panning, sound fields and just basically what "feels warm" and "sounds good".

Do I have what it takes? Maybe?

Q-Eight said:
.... in making Sound Engineering not only a hobby but a career as well? Is it possible and if so, what steps does one have to take? Many nights I find myself sitting in front of Cool Edit Pro downmixing some of my quads into stereo mp3 files. I know, I know - - sorta defeats the purpose of Quad, but a lot of the songs are alternate mixes and not available anywhere else. Anyway, I find myself learning more and more about phase shift, mixing, panning, sound fields and just basically what "feels warm" and "sounds good".

Err... Neil, over to you!

Q-Eight,

If one is actually Serious about a Career as a Mixer/Engineer......

Being an actual Professional Mixer/Engineer is a long hard road.
It is, (among other things), a real engineering job.
Also, there are thousands of people all going for the few jobs that do exist.
It requires a knowledge of technical, musical and business skills.
I often tell my assistants, "Mixng is easy! It's all the other stuff that's hard!"
Playing around with a computer & sound editor software is analogous to being a fast food cook.
Sure you're cooking food, but it doesn't mean you're even close to being a skilled Professional Chef who prepares meals commercially.
My advise is usually "Find some other career. You have about the same chance as you do becoming a rock star or famous movie actor!"

In a nutshell though, here is how it usually goes.
(Be prepared, it's pretty bleak!)

1- Get several years of musical and technical education under your belt. (A college degree helps nowadays, though a degree was not even available back when I started...) (2-4 years, at least).
2- While getting your education, start working as an intern making coffee, sweeping floors, answering phones.....(no pay).
3- After that, get a job as a general assistant at a studio, making coffee, sweeping floors, answering phones.....(6 months to a year minimum wage).
4- Finally you get into sessions as an assistant engineer. This is where you find you will probably have to relocate to somewhere else as no major clients will regularly work outside of the major media centers. (another year)
5- Get a job as a general assistant at a Majorstudio, making coffee, sweeping floors, answering phones.....(another year).
6- Work a second job, so you can pay your rent.
7- Finally you get into sessions as an assistant engineer (again). This time you are working on major label product. (Because you now have to work 20 hour days you will no longer have the second job with the steady income).
8- Work very hard on all the lame sessions so that you can start moving up the ladder to work with all those mixers you've heard about (another year or two).
9- Work even harder under one or more of those 'name' engineers. (This is where you will finally be learning the real craft of the job.) When not assisting these people: practice, practice practice. (another couple of years).
10- If all goes well, get a lucky break and do some small engineering jobs for some real paying clients. If they like your work and hire you again you are now a real, (though still underpaid), engineer! (another year or two).
11- Cultivate more clients and establish a reputation for yourself. Start to earn a decent living. (another couple of years)
12- Ooops, technology and/or musical tastes change!!! Go back to #10 (#11 might not take so long this time, if you're lucky)!!!!!

There!!! Now in only a short 10 to 15 years, (of hard work, no money, no social life and working on music you hate), you have your career as an engineer. Glamourous, ain't it!!!! :D

Of course there are many other sound related fields that you could investigate such as live sound, audio for video, mastering, authoring....
Some of these are easier to get into than others.

Good Luck

ThomC said:
Q-Eight,

If one is actually Serious about a Career as a Mixer/Engineer......

Being an actual Professional Mixer/Engineer is a long hard road.
It is, (among other things), a real engineering job.
Also, there are thousands of people all going for the few jobs that do exist.
It requires a knowledge of technical, musical and business skills.
I often tell my assistants, "Mixng is easy! It's all the other stuff that's hard!"
Playing around with a computer & sound editor software is analogous to being a fast food cook.
Sure you're cooking food, but it doesn't mean you're even close to being a skilled Professional Chef who prepares meals commercially.
My advise is usually "Find some other career. You have about the same chance as you do becoming a rock star or famous movie actor!"

In a nutshell though, here is how it usually goes.
(Be prepared, it's pretty bleak!)

1- Get several years of musical and technical education under your belt. (A college degree helps nowadays, though a degree was not even available back when I started...) (2-4 years, at least).
2- While getting your education, start working as an intern making coffee, sweeping floors, answering phones.....(no pay).
3- After that, get a job as a general assistant at a studio, making coffee, sweeping floors, answering phones.....(6 months to a year minimum wage).
4- Finally you get into sessions as an assistant engineer. This is where you find you will probably have to relocate to somewhere else as no major clients will regularly work outside of the major media centers. (another year)
5- Get a job as a general assistant at a Majorstudio, making coffee, sweeping floors, answering phones.....(another year).
6- Work a second job, so you can pay your rent.
7- Finally you get into sessions as an assistant engineer (again). This time you are working on major label product. (Because you now have to work 20 hour days you will no longer have the second job with the steady income).
8- Work very hard on all the lame sessions so that you can start moving up the ladder to work with all those mixers you've heard about (another year or two).
9- Work even harder under one or more of those 'name' engineers. (This is where you will finally be learning the real craft of the job.) When not assisting these people: practice, practice practice. (another couple of years).
10- If all goes well, get a lucky break and do some small engineering jobs for some real paying clients. If they like your work and hire you again you are now a real, (though still underpaid), engineer! (another year or two).
11- Cultivate more clients and establish a reputation for yourself. Start to earn a decent living. (another couple of years)
12- Ooops, technology and/or musical tastes change!!! Go back to #10 (#11 might not take so long this time, if you're lucky)!!!!!

There!!! Now in only a short 10 to 15 years, (of hard work, no money, no social life and working on music you hate), you have your career as an engineer. Glamourous, ain't it!!!! :D

Of course there are many other sound related fields that you could investigate such as live sound, audio for video, mastering, authoring....
Some of these are easier to get into than others.

Good Luck
I have a buddy who is an engineer here in Chicago. I have known him since about 1990. As mixing engineers go, and in my opinion, he can hold his own with many, more experienced, engineers... After 14 years of knowing the guy, because he is here in Chicago he only makes about $150-300 per day (if he works at all). Those days can somteimes be 12-16 hours long depending on what needs to be done. He has done work for R Kelly, and many bigger local names and has the degree from Berkley (sp) and has trouble finding gigs. So many engineers... super competitive field. Good luck!

Q-Eight said:

The only real way to know if you "have what it takes" (Gods, how I hate that phrase) is to get some of your work to a place where it can be heard.
I will be more than happy to run an ear over some of it if you like - just mail me the "before" and "after" versions.

Actually getting work in the field is yet another matter altogether. There are generally around 500 people chasing every vacancy that opens up, and with more and more studios running courses in engineering to try and keep some money coming in, each year sees yet more hopefuls who have done a 6 week to 3 year degree course and have all been told that they are great and will make it.
Most will never even get a sniff.

But the good news is that there are always back doors.

Mail me off forum, and I'll try to give you some pointers based on how we did it. if you like.

Back