SDE’s Surround Series - Your Fantasy Wishlist

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my suggestion and it's, Oasis, (What's the Story) Morning Glory? What the hell... Why I here you ask!!!

As we all know, this album massively helped kick-off the loudness war which has ruined most modern music releases and screwed up a lot of re-releases of classic albums.

So my suggestion is (and if the masters are able to offer this), why not release a much more relaxed/dynamic version of this album!

Who knows, it might kick-off a new mastering revolution...
I would love that but I wonder if the fact that Sony already released that one in 5.1 on sacd would be an issue.

I haven't heard that release. How brick walled is it compared to the first CD release?
Wow... I haven't listened to it in years, so I really don't remember off the top of my head.
All I remember is that I thought it was decent but a lot of others didn't like it.

I just looked at the QQ poll for that disc and the scores were in the middle. Some really liked it and some didn't think much of the mix.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-circle-the-square-mw0000371969"One of the most sublimely spiritual albums ever made, . . . A perfect record . . . ."

And so incredibly well-mixed and -produced. It sounds phenomenal in stereo, with wonderful separation and amazing choral and percussion moments. I can't imagine a better target for surround sound (maybe Yes' 90125). Yes, it's pop, as SeeMoreDigital said, but it's some of the best-sounding pop. It's also right in SDE's wheelhouse for releasing great '80s albums that scored in the UK and Europe.

Bummer!

Given that 'What’s Going On' was released in quadraphonic vinyl back in 1975 you'd think they could have gone with that. Personally, I'd be quite happy with a quad release ;)
the status of tapes is a fluid situation of course and it has been a number of years since the last time this was discussed on here with somebody 'in the know' but on that occasion Brian Moura said the Quad masters for "What's Going On" unfortunately could not be located 🙁

There are only two rules for this thread:
  1. Whatever material you choose for inclusion in your fantasy SDE Blu-Ray release - surround or stereo - must already be available to the public in some form, be it streaming or an out-of-print physical edition. Please do not include rumored/unreleased material, ones that haven't come out yet (like Who's Next), or albums you wish existed in surround but currently do not (there is another thread for that).
Since we are supposed to be choosing titles that already have surround mixes released, ...I'd love to hear the original lossless mixes of some of these old DTS-CD mixes:

Paul McCartney & Wings - Band On The Run / Venus And Mars
Queen - Greatest Hits Volumes 1 & 2
Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth
The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed (I prefer the sound of the DTS-CD vs the SACD)
Bonnie Raitt - Road Tested (it's sort of an ambient mix but very well-recorded)

If it would mean even more lossless content, I would love to see SDE offer online lossless downloads of previously released lossy surround music (including streaming-only Atmos mixes). I'm sure all of those original mixes are just sitting somewhere on hard-drives...

Last edited:
Back