SDE’s Surround Series - Your Fantasy Wishlist

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcorne

Staff member
I rather enjoyed coming up with a bunch of awesome, but probably unlikely-to-materialize Blu-Ray releases in that catch-all SDE thread and thought it might make for a fun separate topic. I encourage you to think creatively and try to maximize the amount of audio on a single disc, as SDE has done so well with their last several releases.

There are only two rules for this thread:
  1. Whatever material you choose for inclusion in your fantasy SDE Blu-Ray release - surround or stereo - must already be available to the public in some form, be it streaming or an out-of-print physical edition. Please do not include rumored/unreleased material, ones that haven't come out yet (like Who's Next), or albums you wish existed in surround but currently do not (there is another thread for that).
  2. This is not meant to be a serious discussion, it’s supposed to be fun. Tempting as it may be for some (and I’m as guilty of it as anyone), please do not start listing off reasons why some of these titles would be unavailable to SDE - that isn't the point.
Here’s a few from me to start if off (copied over from the other thread):

The Grateful Dead - American Beauty
  • 2022 Steven Wilson Dolby Atmos mix
  • 2001 Mickey Hart 5.1 & stereo mixes
  • 1970 original stereo mix
  • Outtakes, demos & other unreleased material from “The Angel’s Share” (including that awesome stripped-down version of “Box Of Rain” with just acoustic guitars & vocals)
Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark
  • 2022 Ken Caillat Dolby Atmos mix
  • 1974 quadraphonic mix
  • 1974 original stereo mix
Bob Marley - Legend
  • 2021 Nick Rives Dolby Atmos mix
  • 2014 Bob Clearmountain 5.1 mix
  • 1984 original stereo mixes
I’m excited to see what you all can come up with!

Carly Simon - No Secrets
  • 2022 Frank Filipetti Dolby Atmos mix
  • 2001 Frank Filipetti 5.1 mix
  • 1973 quadraphonic mix
  • 1972 original stereo mix
Deep Purple - Machine Head
  • 2001 John Kellogg & Paul Klingberg 5.1 mix
  • 1997 Roger Glover stereo mixes
  • 1974 quadraphonic mix (for US market)
  • 1972 quadraphonic mix (for UK market)
  • 1972 SQ-encoded stereo mix
  • 1972 original stereo mix

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
  • 2023 Atmos
  • 2015 5.1
  • 1979 stereo mixes (yes, mixes....there are several songs on the album that had different mix variations released)
  • Video: 1979/1980 tour documentary previously released on VHS
George Michael - Complete catalog (Faith/Listen Without Prejudice/Older/Patience/Songs From the Last Century/Symphonica)
  • A blu-ray box set! All albums are currently streaming in Atmos. I wonder how many albums you could fit onto one blu-ray?
Pink Floyd - Meddle
  • OK, maybe I am bending the rules here, but the 5.1 mix did come out on an official release, even if it was (presumably) by mistake so.....
  • 2016 Andy Jackson 5.1 mix
  • 1971 4.0 mix of "Echoes"
And some recent albums that have Atmos mixing on the streaming services. I have been enjoying the music and the mixes on these:
  • Tori Amos - Ocean to Ocean
  • Julian Lennon - Jude
  • The Church - The Hypnogogue

George Michael - Complete catalog (Faith/Listen Without Prejudice/Older/Patience/Songs From the Last Century/Symphonica)
  • A blu-ray box set! All albums are currently streaming in Atmos. I wonder how many albums you could fit onto one blu-ray?
I'd think at least three, maybe four? For John Lennon's Gimme Some Truth, they managed to fit 36 songs in 48/24 7.1 TrueHD/Atmos, 96/24 5.1 DTS-HD, and 96/24 stereo PCM onto a single Blu-Ray.

Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard
  1. 2013 Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix
  2. 2004 Mick Guzauski 5.1 mix
  3. 1974 Tom Dowd quadraphonic mix
  4. 1974 original stereo mix
Rush - A Farewell To Kings
  • 2017 Steven Wilson 5.1 mix
  • 2011 Richard Chycki 5.1 mix
  • 1977 original stereo mix

Even as a frothing Rush fan, this would be no sale, for me.

Chycki's mix is next to worthless. It's like he wasn't finished, but hit a deadline.

Now, with his current mastery of Atmos, I'd be in 100% if such a remix were included.

Same statement applies to 2112 and Hemispheres.

I love the Blu-ray of Legend, Clearmountain's 5.1 mix of Exodus is just insanely good. Does Nick's Atmos mix go even further in terms of how immersive it is?
Not sure if it's better than Clearmountain's 5.1 mix, but a very enjoyable listening experience taken on it's own merits. The horns in "Exodus" pop up in the rear height channels, which is pretty cool. They also seem to have used the original versions of "No Woman" (the live cut), "Easy Skanking", and "Punky Reggae Party" whereas the 5.1 mix had alternate takes. "Could You Be Loved" is still an upmix though.

1680559222338.png
Metallica –
The Best Of

Last edited:
Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard
  1. 2013 Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix
  2. 2004 Mick Guzauski 5.1 mix
  3. 1974 Tom Dowd quadraphonic mix
  4. 1974 original stereo mix
maybe an SDE Blu-ray of "Layla"..?

1. Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix
  2. Mick Guzauski 5.1 mix
  3. New Atmos mix
  4. Original stereo mix
  5. 1992 Remix (?)

maybe an SDE Blu-ray of "Layla"..?
Yep, everything that the old HFPA issue had + the two 5.1 mixes would be awesome.

Same goes for Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On:
  • 2022 Dolby Atmos mixes of "Let's Get It On" & "Distant Lover" (from the Every Motown Hit comp)
  • 2004 Cal Harris & Jeff Glixman 5.1 mix
  • 1997 Brant S. Biles 5.1 mixes of "Let's Get It On" & "Distant Lover" (from the Forever Yours comp)
  • 1974 quadraphonic mix
  • 1973 original stereo mix

Back