She Loves You in stereo, not quad yet

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepsky4565

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Some of you enjoyed my stereo extraction of Love Me Do by The Beatles, here is She Loves You:
[video]https://youtu.be/Dd3DJ7UZUb0[/video]
Hope you enjoy it!

Impressive overall. But what really impresses me is how the edit at "pride can hurt you too" is now undetecable! How did you do that? The hi hat sound changes drastically in the mono mix at that point.

I started with a version that someone had tweaked the EQ on, then in the spectral editor I was able to smooth out the drop outs in the cymbals from the edits. You're the first to notice, but I agree they're pretty jarring. I'm not sure why EMI couldn't have fixed it up better.

I started with a version that someone had tweaked the EQ on, then in the spectral editor I was able to smooth out the drop outs in the cymbals from the edits. You're the first to notice, but I agree they're pretty jarring. I'm not sure why EMI couldn't have fixed it up better.

First of all, Dan, I appreciate the attempt to make something (stereo of some kind) out of a masterpiece that is equal parts passion, excitement, and (last but not least) great because, not in spite of, the limitations inherent (technology) or imposed (compression, Eq, limiting, whatever) to the recording. The fact is that, although "I Want to Hold Your Hand" was the clarion call of the British Invasion--that is, its first bonafide and acknowledged Invader--"She Loves You" contains everything sonic that triggered 'Beatlemania,' and it was, and couldn't be, equalled. To know it is to love it, heh.

Offhand I don't remember how many edits this one had--more than a few--but even if a stereo mix had been made in 1963, it would have pretty much been vocals in one channel, instruments in the other. Your mix pans each to one side but also has each bleeding a bit in the other and, yes, does tend to hide the editing points (something impossible with "This Boy," probably).

ED :)

Back