• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Should Dutton Vocalion avoid releasing SACDs of Quads with inferior mixes?

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

If a Quad has a poor surround mix should Dutton Vocalion release it?

• Yes

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • No

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Maybe (please state your reason)

Votes: 8 17.4%

• Total voters

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I'm not the biggest fan of the Grand Funk album Shinin' On, and I have not yet read about positive reviews of the quadraphonic mix (let me go investigate), but I'd take it in a heartbeat on SACD from D/V. In fact, I wish and hope D/V go back and cover those last couple of AF SACDs that lacked their god given 4.0 mixes. Just like they did with RTF and WR. It's simply meant to be, we were not born to have something to so close and within reach and then to have it yanked out from under us like that. I don't care, I don't care what the cost.

ar surround

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
No. That's the good stuff (except maybe Deodado). I was referring to the heavy focus on artists like Henry Mancini, Arthur Fiedler, Ray Conniff, Percy Faith and Paul Mauriat. You know, Muzak. The word has a definition and manufactured disdain doesn't change that. I don't care who or how those relics of history's dustbin are reissued. I had no interest in them then and I have no interest in them now.
Oh, thank goodness you didn't mention my buddy Hugo Montenegro in that list. That would have broken my heart! Seriously, I bought one of Mancini's two-fers...Return Of The Pink Panther/Symphonic Soul. I really just wanted the Pink Panther theme song because I'm not into this genre of music either; but I found a couple of tracks on Symphonic Soul that I really like: Peter Gunn New Version and African Symphony. These Dutton quad two-fers are so cheap that they are worth the money even for someone who just wants a couple of songs...in demonstration quality quadraphonic hi-fidelity no less.

One tidbit: Ray Conniff's Christmas stuff gets played year after year during the holidays on the radio. It is etched in the hearts of us Baby Boomers and won't see the dustbin at least until we are all gone.

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Oh, thank goodness you didn't mention my buddy Hugo Montenegro in that list. That would have broken my heart! Seriously, I bought one of Mancini's two-fers...Return Of The Pink Panther/Symphonic Soul. I really just wanted the Pink Panther theme song because I'm not into this genre of music either; but I found a couple of tracks on Symphonic Soul that I really like: Peter Gunn New Version and African Symphony. These Dutton quad two-fers are so cheap that they are worth the money even for someone who just wants a couple of songs...in demonstration quality quadraphonic hi-fidelity no less.

One tidbit: Ray Conniff's Christmas stuff gets played year after year during the holidays on the radio. It is etched in the hearts of us Baby Boomers and won't see the dustbin at least until we are all gone.
there are several easy listening Quads that DV have done that i would say all Quad fanatics here should at the very least try because imho their surround mixes are so good they ought not be missed on that basis alone.

they include Mancini's "Symphonic Soul", Swingle Singers "Four Seasons", Montenegro's EJ & Stevie Wonder tribute albums, Percy Faith's "New Thing" and Michel Legrand's "Twenty Songs Of The Century"

Last edited:

Scott65

701 Club - QQ All-Star
there are several easy listening Quads that DV have done that i would say all Quad fanatics here should at the very least try because imho their surround mixes are so good they ought not be missed on that basis alone.

they include Mancini's "Symphonic Soul", Swingle Singers "Four Seasons", Montenegro's EJ & Stevie Wonder tribute albums, Percy Faith's "New Thing" and Michel Legrand's "Twenty Songs Of The Century"
I really like Montenegro's Godfather twofer

Scott65

701 Club - QQ All-Star

yes those songs make the purchase worthwhile.

Philip Spinner

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
if you'll indulge me for a sec and go down a hypothetical route and take some of the ABC/Command Quads, just as an example of how things could get mighty complicated if you're a label like DV (for example) and take the (imho brave/borderline foolhardy) decision to go down a revisionist road in this respect.. some iterations of the ABC Q8s have channel swaps and some don't.. and then the QS LP equivalents of some of these ABC Quads pan out the same as one revision of the Q8 and yet others don't.. what then in that circumstance is your accurate point of reference? there's no mastertape.. none of the channel assignments on the legacy formats match.. a tricky proposition, isn't it?
It has always been my belief that all GRT tapes with the C prefix have a swapped channel. The ones with H have been corrected that I own. Some H carts were never swapped because they were always H. I have been swapping channels on 8 track since the 70's. Back then I almost wrote a letter to GRT thanking them for swapping 2 channels. It meant that I didn't have to in the car. Saved me a lot of work.
I mentioned in a post a while back that I always thought that GRT deliberately had channels swapped for the automobile purchaser who was their main customer back then but I think some here may have thought I drank a little too much cool aide. My crazy belief has always been that C stood for car mix and H stood for home mix. And yes I know all about the price increase for H tapes before anyone mentions it. Yea I'm crazy.

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
It has always been my belief that all GRT tapes with the C prefix have a swapped channel. The ones with H have been corrected that I own. Some H carts were never swapped because they were always H. I have been swapping channels on 8 track since the 70's. Back then I almost wrote a letter to GRT thanking them for swapping 2 channels. It meant that I didn't have to in the car. Saved me a lot of work.
I mentioned in a post a while back that I always thought that GRT deliberately had channels swapped for the automobile purchaser who was their main customer back then but I think some here may have thought I drank a little too much cool aide. My crazy belief has always been that C stood for car mix and H stood for home mix. And yes I know all about the price increase for H tapes before anyone mentions it. Yea I'm crazy.
you're not crazy! you're hugely knowledgeable and a golden member to me, i appreciate you enormously. 👍