Should Dutton Vocalion avoid releasing SACDs of Quads with inferior mixes?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If a Quad has a poor surround mix should Dutton Vocalion release it?

• Yes

Votes: 22 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • Maybe (please state your reason)

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters
I'm not the biggest fan of the Grand Funk album Shinin' On, and I have not yet read about positive reviews of the quadraphonic mix (let me go investigate), but I'd take it in a heartbeat on SACD from D/V. In fact, I wish and hope D/V go back and cover those last couple of AF SACDs that lacked their god given 4.0 mixes. Just like they did with RTF and WR. It's simply meant to be, we were not born to have something to so close and within reach and then to have it yanked out from under us like that. I don't care, I don't care what the cost.

No. That's the good stuff (except maybe Deodado). I was referring to the heavy focus on artists like Henry Mancini, Arthur Fiedler, Ray Conniff, Percy Faith and Paul Mauriat. You know, Muzak. The word has a definition and manufactured disdain doesn't change that. I don't care who or how those relics of history's dustbin are reissued. I had no interest in them then and I have no interest in them now.

Oh, thank goodness you didn't mention my buddy Hugo Montenegro in that list. That would have broken my heart! Seriously, I bought one of Mancini's two-fers...Return Of The Pink Panther/Symphonic Soul. I really just wanted the Pink Panther theme song because I'm not into this genre of music either; but I found a couple of tracks on Symphonic Soul that I really like: Peter Gunn New Version and African Symphony. These Dutton quad two-fers are so cheap that they are worth the money even for someone who just wants a couple of songs...in demonstration quality quadraphonic hi-fidelity no less.

One tidbit: Ray Conniff's Christmas stuff gets played year after year during the holidays on the radio. It is etched in the hearts of us Baby Boomers and won't see the dustbin at least until we are all gone.

Oh, thank goodness you didn't mention my buddy Hugo Montenegro in that list. That would have broken my heart! Seriously, I bought one of Mancini's two-fers...Return Of The Pink Panther/Symphonic Soul. I really just wanted the Pink Panther theme song because I'm not into this genre of music either; but I found a couple of tracks on Symphonic Soul that I really like: Peter Gunn New Version and African Symphony. These Dutton quad two-fers are so cheap that they are worth the money even for someone who just wants a couple of songs...in demonstration quality quadraphonic hi-fidelity no less.

One tidbit: Ray Conniff's Christmas stuff gets played year after year during the holidays on the radio. It is etched in the hearts of us Baby Boomers and won't see the dustbin at least until we are all gone.

there are several easy listening Quads that DV have done that i would say all Quad fanatics here should at the very least try because imho their surround mixes are so good they ought not be missed on that basis alone.

they include Mancini's "Symphonic Soul", Swingle Singers "Four Seasons", Montenegro's EJ & Stevie Wonder tribute albums, Percy Faith's "New Thing" and Michel Legrand's "Twenty Songs Of The Century"

Last edited:
there are several easy listening Quads that DV have done that i would say all Quad fanatics here should at the very least try because imho their surround mixes are so good they ought not be missed on that basis alone.

they include Mancini's "Symphonic Soul", Swingle Singers "Four Seasons", Montenegro's EJ & Stevie Wonder tribute albums, Percy Faith's "New Thing" and Michel Legrand's "Twenty Songs Of The Century"
I really like Montenegro's Godfather twofer

yes those songs make the purchase worthwhile.

if you'll indulge me for a sec and go down a hypothetical route and take some of the ABC/Command Quads, just as an example of how things could get mighty complicated if you're a label like DV (for example) and take the (imho brave/borderline foolhardy) decision to go down a revisionist road in this respect.. some iterations of the ABC Q8s have channel swaps and some don't.. and then the QS LP equivalents of some of these ABC Quads pan out the same as one revision of the Q8 and yet others don't.. what then in that circumstance is your accurate point of reference? there's no mastertape.. none of the channel assignments on the legacy formats match.. a tricky proposition, isn't it?
It has always been my belief that all GRT tapes with the C prefix have a swapped channel. The ones with H have been corrected that I own. Some H carts were never swapped because they were always H. I have been swapping channels on 8 track since the 70's. Back then I almost wrote a letter to GRT thanking them for swapping 2 channels. It meant that I didn't have to in the car. Saved me a lot of work.
I mentioned in a post a while back that I always thought that GRT deliberately had channels swapped for the automobile purchaser who was their main customer back then but I think some here may have thought I drank a little too much cool aide. My crazy belief has always been that C stood for car mix and H stood for home mix. And yes I know all about the price increase for H tapes before anyone mentions it. Yea I'm crazy.

It has always been my belief that all GRT tapes with the C prefix have a swapped channel. The ones with H have been corrected that I own. Some H carts were never swapped because they were always H. I have been swapping channels on 8 track since the 70's. Back then I almost wrote a letter to GRT thanking them for swapping 2 channels. It meant that I didn't have to in the car. Saved me a lot of work.
I mentioned in a post a while back that I always thought that GRT deliberately had channels swapped for the automobile purchaser who was their main customer back then but I think some here may have thought I drank a little too much cool aide. My crazy belief has always been that C stood for car mix and H stood for home mix. And yes I know all about the price increase for H tapes before anyone mentions it. Yea I'm crazy.

you're not crazy! you're hugely knowledgeable and a golden member to me, i appreciate you enormously. 👍

Back