Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it’s just very tightly regulated since 2017.

Unless you are dealing in certain musical instruments it is effectively a total ban, the legal position being-

CITES moved to protect the world’s most trafficked wild product by placing all 300 species of the rosewood tree under trade restrictions.

Under CITES, trading in rosewood products made prior to 1947 is permissible. If you are buying a piece of rosewood, usually furniture, that was made after 1947, reputable and responsible dealers will indicate on the listing that the piece will come with an Article 10 Certificate (sometimes called a CITES Certificate). The seller will apply for certification and this will accompany the piece of rosewood – this is called a ‘Transaction Specific Certificate (TSC)’ which is issued in the name of the applicant and may only be used by them for one transaction. Without an Article 10 Certificate rosewood should not be traded.

An exemption to CITES came into law in November 2019 in relation to guitars and other musical instruments made from rosewood. This amendment allowed the international trade in rosewood guitars or other musical instruments without any Article 10 certificates being required.

Unless you are dealing in certain musical instruments it is effectively a total ban, the legal position being-

CITES moved to protect the world’s most trafficked wild product by placing all 300 species of the rosewood tree under trade restrictions.

Under CITES, trading in rosewood products made prior to 1947 is permissible. If you are buying a piece of rosewood, usually furniture, that was made after 1947, reputable and responsible dealers will indicate on the listing that the piece will come with an Article 10 Certificate (sometimes called a CITES Certificate). The seller will apply for certification and this will accompany the piece of rosewood – this is called a ‘Transaction Specific Certificate (TSC)’ which is issued in the name of the applicant and may only be used by them for one transaction. Without an Article 10 Certificate rosewood should not be traded.

An exemption to CITES came into law in November 2019 in relation to guitars and other musical instruments made from rosewood. This amendment allowed the international trade in rosewood guitars or other musical instruments without any Article 10 certificates being required.
Yes, that all sounds about right. I never went that deeply into the specifics of the internationally agreed upon laws governing this area of trade, but I do remember accompanying my employer, the owner of an extremely high end furniture manufacturer in Brooklyn NY that created custom items for very rich clients like Trump, Oprah, etc.

I recall being awe-struck at the cost of these rough dusty old boards stacked in dark barns in out of the way places. In the 80s & 90s a couple pieces of wood could cost several thousands of dollars!

And musical instruments do require special attention to carefully selected wood species.
The last drum set I purchased 14 years ago had some layers of so-called exotic wood within. Pearl’s Reference and Masterworks series for example used common woods like birch and maple mixed with Bubinga and African mahogany. My set is a combination of those two lines. I have no idea if there were laws restricting these species, but the cost was very high, and the sound is amazing.

I wouldn’t be surprised to find that many makers of luxury items traditionally made from Rosewood have by now developed methods to make other species of wood look convincingly similar.

I have a collection of Crown (Jeln) rack cabinets made from three different methods, standard MDF with premium walnut veneer, solid oak, and my clear favorite, solid dark cherry.

I guess KEF could claim these speakers are musical instruments, if that’s not too much of a stretch.

I guess KEF could claim these speakers are musical instruments, if that’s not too much of a stretch.
To do so would be illegal and they don't. Retailers might still be shifting old stock (but legally even that is questionable). KEF don't offer their speakers in rosewood these days. I can't imagine that any responsible manufacturer does.

Here's my setup:
1643733339950.png

NOT! (One can dream though)

Here's my setup:
View attachment 75672

NOT! (One can dream though)
More of a nightmare I'd have thought! That system used some 30 McIntosh MC-2102 Valve Power Amplifiers. I had one (yes, only one!) about 20 years ago and frankly I didn't think it was a particularly good amplifier and soon sold it. It also ran fantastically hot and I can only imagine how unpleasant a room with 30 of them would have been!!

More of a nightmare I'd have thought! That system used some 30 McIntosh MC-2102 Valve Power Amplifiers. I had one (yes, only one!) about 20 years ago and frankly I didn't think it was a particularly good amplifier and soon sold it. It also ran fantastically hot and I can only imagine how unpleasant a room with 30 of them would have been!!
Looks like they can afford the AC bill though!

I’d always thought that the term PA was only ever used for very limited bandwidth systems used for the specific task of addressing the public. Station and airport announcements and the like. What we in the UK would know as a ‘Tannoy’. Nothing to do with hi-fi whatsoever – but all to do with high speech intelligibility. They typically have a restricted frequency response no better than a telephone, centred on the human voice for clarity in noisy environments and high power directional speakers. I’ve never heard of PA being an abbreviation for ‘pro-audio’ whatever that might mean.
Ditto , the only use of the acronym , besides Public Address , is Personal Assistant .

I've been having fun looking at the latest bestest newest stuff here last several posts. I thought I'd go down a different road & post a stab from the past. Circa 1985:

QUAD 1985_2.jpg

I had brown hair back then (and more of it) but I esp get a kick out of how incredibly high tech our new wireless land line phone was.

Bottom Shelf: JVC staight line TT & Hitachi VHS Hi-Fi
Middle shelf: two, Kenwood integrated amps & Yamaha CD-X3 on top. Sansui QSD-1, Sony tuner,Penncrest :eek: dbx cassete deck, Fosgate Tate 101A.
Top shelf: my entire CD collection. And on the floor DIY speaker next 1st pup ever Mandy the Flying Schnauzer.
Edit: This set up supersedes my apartment set up in post #633.

I've been having fun looking at the latest bestest newest stuff here last several posts. I thought I'd go down a different road & post a stab from the past. Circa 1985:

View attachment 75724

I had brown hair back then (and more of it) but I esp get a kick out of how incredibly high tech our new wireless land line phone was.

Bottom Shelf: JVC staight line TT & Hitachi VHS Hi-Fi
Middle shelf: two, Kenwood integrated amps & Yamaha CD-X3 on top. Sansui QSD-1, Sony tuner,Penncrest :eek: dbx cassete deck, Fosgate Tate 101A.
Top shelf: my entire CD collection. And on the floor DIY speaker next 1st pup ever Mandy the Flying Schnauzer.
Edit: This set up supersedes my apartment set up in post #633.
Good thing you credited Mandy the Flying Schnauzer, otherwise you know I would have gotten on your case big time. :cool:

Good thing you credited Mandy the Flying Schnauzer, otherwise you know I would have gotten on your case big time. :cool:

Ah, well, I've always liked using LP record speeds as a special point for my birthdays. You know, 45 RPM. And we'll see if I make it to 78.
For my 33 1/3 birthday my wife made a good size sheet pan cake, chocolate frosting with a vanilla speaker in each corner. We left with some friends for dinner & then back for cake. When we got home probably half the frosting was licked off, no doubt by Mandy who was now pooping up a chocolate storm.

The cake was in the middle of the dining room table, the chairs were pushed in, the buffet table nearby could not be climbed up on to leap from. The only logical explanation was we had one of those ultra-rare Flying Schnauzers. Over her life time I never actually saw her fly but still, I knew...

Back