HiRez Poll Sly and the Family Stone - GREATEST HITS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Sly and the Family Stone - GREATEST HITS

• Total voters
This has to be one of the "coolest" SACD releases to date from anyone. This is a classic album that was once highly sought after by both quad and stereo collectors for the unique stereo mixes, and now with the 4.0 mix on the SACD, more people will be able to hear it in "real" surround than ever did in the '70s, plus you the original hit 45 mono mixes to boot. Q8 fans already know that the quad mix is awesome, and now the audio quality matches the quality of the mixes.

This disc is clearly a "must have" for anyone who was around in the quad era and from the time of these songs. There is surely a song or two on this disc that EVERYONE knows, even if it's just from being used in a Toyota commercial! :)

You may not like every single song, but there will be at least one on tune this disc to please everyone.

This has to be one of the "coolest" SACD releases to date from anyone. This is a classic album that was once highly sought after by both quad and stereo collectors for the unique stereo mixes, and now with the 4.0 mix on the SACD, more people will be able to hear it in "real" surround than ever did in the '70s, plus you the original hit 45 mono mixes to boot. Q8 fans already know that the quad mix is awesome, and now the audio quality matches the quality of the mixes.

This disc is clearly a "must have" for anyone who was around in the quad era and from the time of these songs. There is surely a song or two on this disc that EVERYONE knows, even if it's just from being used in a Toyota commercial! :)

You may not like every single song, but there will be at least one on tune this disc to please everyone.
I do like every song on this disc. Add that you get Quad AND Mono and it (IMO) is probably the coolest disc from AF yet!! Marshall knocked it out of the park on this one (and they are all good!!!).

I do like every song on this disc. Add that you get Quad AND Mono and it (IMO) is probably the coolest disc from AF yet!! Marshall knocked it out of the park on this one (and they are all good!!!).

Agreed. Dance to the Music in Multichannel SACD, much much better than the days listening to it on Q8 or decoded SQ. Wow !
A "10" in my book.

SUPERB!!! Love this quad mix. I am sooo glad AF did this title. Music & mix both 10, so I vote 10.

I had this album on 33 rpm vinyl and remember the disappointing stereo mix and sound. Well, that mix is on the stereo layer of this SACD in all of its quasi-stereo glory without the clicks, pops, wow and flutter to cover up its flaws. So in a nutshell, I am absolutely blown away by both the mix and the sound of the quadraphonic SACD version. You can really crank up the volume and it just so wonderfully holds together. I'd probably rate the quad version 8.5 on an absolute given the current 5.1 mixes out there. But relative to what I've heard before of this album, the quad layer rates somewhere north of infinity. So I must rate this one a 10!

I had this album on 33 rpm vinyl and remember the disappointing stereo mix and sound. Well, that mix is on the stereo layer of this SACD in all of its quasi-stereo glory without the clicks, pops, wow and flutter to cover up its flaws. So in a nutshell, I am absolutely blown away by both the mix and the sound of the quadraphonic SACD version. You can really crank up the volume and it just so wonderfully holds together. I'd probably rate the quad version 8.5 on an absolute given the current 5.1 mixes out there. But relative to what I've heard before of this album, the quad layer rates somewhere north of infinity. So I must rate this one a 10!
the stereo mix is NOT on the SACD. The mono mixes are on along with the quad.

the stereo mix is NOT on the SACD. The mono mixes are on along with the quad.

Thanks Bob,

Yes, the package does indeed declare that it is mono. But the SACD stereo layer is most definitely outputting what seems to be DUOPHONIC to my ears. I get all sorts of music coming from the surrounds and rears when playing the so called mono tracks using PLIIx. With a true mono source, there would be little to nothing coming out of the surrounds with PLIIx other than perhaps some artifacts. Something may have gone very wrong here?

Thanks Bob,

Yes, the package does indeed declare that it is mono. But the SACD stereo layer is most definitely outputting what seems to be DUOPHONIC to my ears. I get all sorts of music coming from the surrounds and rears when playing the so called mono tracks using PLIIx. With a true mono source, there would be little to nothing coming out of the surrounds with PLIIx other than perhaps some artifacts. Something may have gone very wrong here?

You'd have to ask Steve Hoffman about that.

On Twitter, Hoffman said that he used "the Mono hit mixes" to create the CD Mono and SACD Mono tracks on the Sly & the Family Stone Greatest Hits SACD.
https://twitter.com/SteveHoffmanTV/status/628230374863192064

The music is fantastic, funky, and uplifting from start to finish... born in the summer of '69, grew up listening to classic rock, and somehow I feel like I know every song! The fidelity is great (especially considering how old the tapes are) and the surround mix is quad-fantastic, discrete and fun. A 10. With all the discs I buy, it's great that every now and then a "classic" is released!

And how is the fidelity simply on its own? For me fidelity ranges between 10 - it is so clear that they sound like they are playing in my living room - to 0 - it sounds so bad I can not listen to it.

I'm not great at coming up with adjectives to describe fidelity, but I'll try: the low end is powerful and prominent, but not muddy; the high end is clear without any "muffled" sounds; everything in between has great separation; it doesn't sound like someone playing in my living room (as compared to the new David Gilmour which does). Objectively, I would give the fidelity an 8; subjectively (taking into consideration what can be expected from recordings of that time period), I give it a 10.

Well, I've given it two listens so far: one in the car and one at home.

It's always been a good album, but I don't think it's ever sounded this good. Powerful lows, crisp highs.

Detractors? Well, my young ears could detect a little excessive hiss on the songs "Life", "You can make it if you Try" and "Sing a Simple Song". It quite noticeable on "Simple Song" because at the end where the background singers trail off, they stop and you're left with 2-3 seconds of hiss that gets cut off abruptly. The hiss levels change on "Make It" depending on what tracks get left open. During the drum breakdown, it gets quiet as unnecessary tracks get muted. As instruments come back in, the hiss returns. That is probably a fault of the master mix and would be a bitch to clean out of the 4-channel master.

All of these songs could benefit from a modern remix. I did find it funny as on the mono version of "I wanna take you Higher" you can quite clearly hear the piano, whilst on the stereo cut (on my PC) there is virtually no trace of Piano but a very prominent organ. On the Quad, you get ghosts of the Organ in FL like a track was left muted. When you hear the drums in the background of FL, you can faintly hear the organ track.

Is it worth it? Yup. The end-all, be-all of Quadraphonic existence? Hardly.

I did have a nifty idea though. For a little blurb inside the booklet, wouldn't it be cool to get in touch with the original Quadraphonic and Stereo Mx engineers and have them answer a few questions? (If they're still with us, that is). Would be a neat little addition to the booklet and maybe explain some of the mixing choices and maybe point out the difference in time between the Stereo & Quad mixes.

Also, you know how these discs can go when they sell out and go out of print! In collector's circles I see most of the titles hitting the $100 mark within five years after going OOP. I know it's not the coolest thing to talk about right as a release is shipping. But the 4.0 series is something just as special as the CTA Quadio on Rhino is. They are the golden age of pop/rock, golden age of quad, and mastered with more care than we'd ever even hoped for just a few years back.

And to think quad has had such a reputation as being wonky mixes for decades. Yet we are hearing something really lovely and audiophile on them. Loggins and Messina, E W & F, and Labelle. It's really high class stuff. Small runs = $$$ soon after.

Great disc. I have never heard this sound so good. I actually spent time listening to the quad mix from an earlier source all last week in preparation of this title. The SACD is really clean and crankable. To be forthcoming, I have only heard the quad mix, as the mono mix has no interest to me. (otherwise, I would likely be posting on the Monophonic Mono site and the MM forum.)

I have to admit, the mono mixes sound pretty damn good. I played the CD layer the other day in the car coming home from work, and had "Thank You falletinme be mice elf agin" absolutely cranked at a red light. Got a couple of funny looks, but who cares - It's Sly, man!
Still, in regards to the mono mixes, I'm quite shocked at how you can still hear every layer they'd built up. Each guitar is clearly heard, the drums are loud and right in your face. The different vocals in some places were a bit jarring as in some instances, they are very obvious "punch-ins". I've only ever known the stereo & Quad mixes, so the mono was completely new to me.

I was a little hesitant ordering this one as it turns out I knew about half the songs on this Greatest Hits SACD and wasn't a huge fan of Sly's during the 70's. The tunes I didn't know are pretty good also especially M'Lady. This is an other aggressive mix that needs to be played LOUD. Excellent surround sound mix and the content is outstanding. I rate it a 9 and are becoming familiar with the tunes I didn't know due to the great surround mix. Then again I follow the SF 49ers so take my rating with a grain of salt...:confused:

Wow. Everyday people. Genius! Will play it much louder this weekend. Can't wait.

This is a wonderful example of how a magnificent aggressive quadraphonic mix can win someone over.

I bought a stereo CD of the same program quite some time ago and wasn't particularly impressed by it.

This quadraphonic version is vibrant, full of life - and I really like all except one song. I love the mix. I love the sound quality (tonality, oomph). I love nearly all the tracks.

It has to be a 10.

Back