SM V3 teaser

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

jaybird100

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Yes the Bass will go to all 4, and I'm fairly sure the sub is on all the time (its just an Low Pass Filter), but there is no Bass management in the SM, and not many AVRs can do it with analogue inputs. I have 4x floorstanders (& a Centre) but no sub. I use the SM2 in either Involve/QS or SQ 4.0 modes, or Involve/QS 4.0 only for stereo to 'synthetic' surround, and get full Bass in the rear channels. There won't usually be that much below 80Hz anyway, so I'm not sure it will matter.
The setting is 4.1, not 4.0. The front and rear outputs are full range; no high-pass filter on them. That makes use of the sub optional, but you don't lose any frequencies because you're not using a sub.

JohnA

For normal surround, I feed the sub with the LFE output, which in my case also contains the low end of the rears.

For pure stereo, I feed the sub with the right channel (cringe) using DSP to filter it below 33 Hz (looks good on REW!). So it simply extends the very lows.

Now that I will be setting up SM, I am scratching my head what to do with the small rears.
I don't want to try and solve a problem that doesn't really exist, so if next to nothing (below 80Hz) is sent to the rears in Involve mode I'm prepared to let it go.

jaybird100

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
There's a lot going to the rear channels in the Involve mode, depending on what you're playing. The guys at Involve did it right, so I'd suggest just using the sub output for your subwoofer, and don't mess with perfection. Keep it simple!