Snarky Puppy "Empire Central" - Atmos Blu-Ray!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
And...as promised by the band's manager, they've finally announced a Blu-Ray containing the Atmos mix:

We’re thrilled to announce the Blu-ray release of Snarky Puppy’s GRAMMY-winning album, Empire Central, available now for pre-order. The Blu-ray includes the Dolby Atmos mixes, not available anywhere else.

As a thank you to our incredible GroundUP community, we’re happy to offer the Blu-ray through our own store before it hits the regular retailers. For fans attending Snarky Puppy’s upcoming fall tour, the Blu-ray will be available to purchase at the merch booth.

Pre-order here:
https://store.snarkypuppy.com/products/empire-central-blu-ray

Last edited:
What great news to end the week with! Ordered! (And I always love an easy Apply Pay option.)

I’m confused about the “not available anywhere else” though. I still see it on Apple Music. Am I misinterpreting what they’re saying?

Great news! If I understand this correctly, the blu-ray should include the video as well and it should be physically available no later than 9/8 when the fall tour kicks off... ;)
IMG_20230805_121720.jpg

Great news! If I understand this correctly, the blu-ray should include the video as well and it should be physically available no later than 9/8 when the fall tour kicks off... ;)
View attachment 94777

Because i live under a rock I had no idea who Snarky Puppy is. Evidently they a Grammy winning and internationally known. I really liked the YT clip so this is a sure purchase for me. As to the price of $30 I'm glad I don't have to buy a monster box set for ten times that to enjoy the music. Heck, I was paying $30 a pop(or more) for each Laserdisc I purchased back in the day.

Am so picking this up! Also noticed video files for We Like It Here and GroundUp on their Vimeo channel so will buy those as the latter doesn't seem to have the video for Like a Light to watch on YouTube.

The Atmos mix on Apple Music is amazing but having this on Bluray will be even better! 😊

Like a lot of people I got turned on to these guys when the video of Lingus from We Like It Here went viral 10 years ago, and I think I've mentioned them here on more than one occasion - if you like '70s fusion (Herbie Hancock, Weather Report, Return to Forever, etc.) do yourself a favour and check these guys out.

The most interesting thing about them is that (with the exception of one album) they always cut their albums live, using a really innovative process where everyone (musicians and audience) all wear headphones, sort of like going to a silent disco if you've ever done one of those. As the result of this approach, you don't get the boomy sound and sound leakage you normally get with live recordings - instead you get the energy of a live performance with the discrete sonics of a recording studio, not to mention the fact that the performances are all filmed too so you get a visual component, which is the case with their other albums too.

I'm really happy this album is coming out in surround in a physical format - some years ago, during my brief association with Robert Margouleff, we approached Michael League about remixing We Like It Here into surround. Sadly he never replied, but I'm glad that this album is getting the surround treatment, and maybe it will open the door to having their older recordings remixed as well. If you like this album at all, I highly encourage you to check out their other albums, especially Sylva (with the Metropole Orkest, available on YouTube) and Culcha Vulcha (which won the Grammy for best contemporary instrumental album in 2016) both of which are (for me) even better than Empire Central, though only available in stereo.

Saw them opening for Steely Dan at the Hollywood Bowl last year. Did not know them but they were great live.

Only drawback was that I had sprung for a fairly close box seat at the bowl ($$$) for the first time ever, and it turned out that the box of 6 women in front of me were the wives/GFs of some of Snarky Puppy. They were joined by 2 or 3 of the band, and they all talked pretty loudly during the Dan portion of the show, paying no attention to them for most of the concert and making it hard ot concentrate on SD. At least I had seen them a few times before with both Becker and Fagen, but still...

I have Sylva in 2Ch HD blu ray quality on my Kaleidescape server purchased and downloaded from the Kaleidescape store. Excellent picture and sound quality!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this is a pre-order or it's actually in-stock & shipping already? The GroundUp site is pretty vague.

Back