Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew that sooner or later I would gravitate over to this thread! I just read all 47 pages, and see that I may be SOL!!!

All this time- I had assumed that ANY SONY BD Player that can read SACD-R's was capable of ripping SACD's. I have a Sony BDP-S780 from 2011 that does a great job playing SACD-r's, but see here that it is not on the good list. I did see some of the other x80 series mentioned, the S480 is listed as good, and I saw someone else mention trying an S580, but never saw a reply it worked. I hope to try my S780, as I'd love to get my Multi-channel sacd-r's ripped to dsf and try to playback through my AVR.

Chris

I knew that sooner or later I would gravitate over to this thread! I just read all 47 pages, and see that I may be SOL!!!

All this time- I had assumed that ANY SONY BD Player that can read SACD-R's was capable of ripping SACD's. I have a Sony BDP-S780 from 2011 that does a great job playing SACD-r's, but see here that it is not on the good list. I did see some of the other x80 series mentioned, the S480 is listed as good, and I saw someone else mention trying an S580, but never saw a reply it worked. I hope to try my S780, as I'd love to get my Multi-channel sacd-r's ripped to dsf and try to playback through my AVR.

Chris
These are dirt cheap and come up for sale often-make sure to get a remote with it (if you do eBay?)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1757046803...Mmjl9njlFhTCGaqtelc+gMXWc=|tkp:Bk9SR7CNm8nhYg

Chris

None of the x80 model Sony players from 2011 are compatible, I don't know where you are seeing the S480 listed as compatible but it is not, nor is the S580 or any other 2011 model year Sony.
Sony compatibility starts with the 2012 model year, eg. x90 players including S390, S590, and S790.

Hi - I'm just about to go down this journey, having bought a Sony S4100 from the bay....

I've just gone to the dropbox link, & clicked on d/load for the autoscript, & it shows as a .gpg file in my downloads (ie not a zip). Should I just copy the 3 files below into a root folder called Autoscript on my USB?

1700393841855.png

still having problems, formatted USB as FAT32, put the files below into it, inserted into player, powered up, inserted SACD, then powered off after the display goes blank.
The ping of the IP is ok, but port 2002 is unreachable on the test. Here's the USB info, anything else I can check?

1701718285677.png

still having problems, formatted USB as FAT32, put the files below into it, inserted into player, powered up, inserted SACD, then powered off after the display goes blank.
The ping of the IP is ok, but port 2002 is unreachable on the test. Here's the USB info, anything else I can check?

View attachment 99022
Hi
Can you provide screen shots of the details shown on the Gui

Now this appears to work ok, I want to end up with hi-res flac files (from a stereo SACD). I can use foobar to do conversion, but what's the best option to rip, for input into a foobar conversion please?
IE what should I set here:

1701719653871.png

Last edited:
Now this appears to work ok, I want to end up with hi-res flac files (from a stereo SACD). I can use foobar to do conversion, but what's the best option to rip, for input into a foobar conversion please?

View attachment 99023
What you have there is fine.
I personally use a program called JRiver to convert DSF to flac files.

Thanks guys - I'm a Windows user, & was hoping to go from the ripped output from SACDEx to flac by just using Foobar, but I may have to do some research to see what the options / implications are.

Last edited:
Thanks guys - I'm a Windows user, & was hoping to go from the ripped output from SACDEx to flac by just using Foobar, but I may have to do some research to see what the options / implications are.
I didn't use Foobar, but the conversion sounds fine to me, and is much more compatible with my other (pcm) music files. I also converted all my DTS/Dolby Digital stuff too.

View attachment 99023
I rip to dsf, and then if for some reason if I want wav or flac conversion I use Foobar2K; but you must have the plugins installed

try these plugins referenced by ssully below-

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ng-dsd-files-to-flac.26165/page-4#post-601924

I re-encode dsd to Flac at 88.2kHz/24-bit for playback on my OPPO. The only reason I do this is because the file sizes of native dsd.dff streams (especially multi-channel streams) are huge compared to the Flac re-encodes.

Other multi-channel bit-streamed formats, such as: Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD (with or without Atmos), DTS, DTS-96/24 and DTS-HD MA, I keep as is and mux into the .mka container.

All my stereo CD's are re-encoded to Flac...

Back