Sony Blu-Spec CD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually Telarc has already released SACDs in 2009. And we're also seeing SACD titles from Chesky, also a U.S. label.

Norman and David Chesky have been carrying the torch of SACD for a long time but their audience is very small and has little or no impact on the future of the format - both very nice guys doing quality work - however, their mostly ambience in the rears, minimalist miking surround titles are hardly what one would call mainstream.

Concord released 3 titles in January '09 (2 samplers and 1 classical title) - clearly these were in production in 2008 and before Michael Bishop and his crew were dismissed. The current new release schedule has new Spyro Grya and a Paavo Jarvi/Cincinatti Orchestra titles on CD only - the entire previous Concord/Telarc/Heads Up catalog of Spyro Gyra and Jarvi are all MC SACD. This would lead me to believe that Concord is moving away from SACD - perhaps parent company Universal has something to do with that? Not sure but I would love nothing more than a steady stream of new Concord SACD titles to add to my collection.

The US music industry is in free fall - annual double digit decreases in sales since 2003 have resulted in almost a 50% decline in physical sales. SACD has decreased at even a more alarming annual rate - 47% decline in sales in 2006 and a 33% decline in sales for 2007 - for a whopping grand total of 200,000 SACD sold in the US in 2007. That trend works out to under 100K units in 2009. Now I'm sure some can dispute that these numbers (courtesy of the RIAA) don't represent imports and such but even if the numbers are off 50% the number represents a format that cannot be sustained - combine that with the fact that there is no US manufacturing available for SACD - Sony is manufacturing theirs in Austria and Sonopress/arvato is getting ready to pull the plug in Guetersloh (if they haven't already). Put a fork in it - its done.

Isn't Sony still pressing SACD in Japan?

Sony US was using the plant in Austria - as far as Japan goes - primarily for the Asian market - not much of a factor here - import ($$$) only. And by the way, Sony US does not have one single SACD title scheduled for release through May '09.

Blu-ray spec CD is the red hering, the real disk format is BD-Audio. Compatible with all Blu-ray players it's basically a Blu-ray disk that acts like a CD but with all the audio performance of a Blu-ray (also known as Profile 3.0). Without having to worry about a menu system these disks can also play in cars and in portable units when they're available.

2 & 1/2 years after some folks declared SACD dead, I've acquired hundreds of new releases. Granted most of them are multichannel.

Kal, I'll go out on a limb, here: most of them are classical, right? Although I have dozens of classical titles in SACD, I have 500 that are rock and jazz. It seems that my new multi- SACD's are 3ch, not 5.1.

Linda

2 & 1/2 years after some folks declared SACD dead, I've acquired hundreds of new releases. Granted most of them are multichannel.

Just curious Kal - how many of those hundreds of new releases were acquired on your own? And how many were classical releases? I have no reason to doubt that you have access to a significant number of hi rez titles in your position as an audiophile journalist but seriously, do you really believe that SACD is flourishing as a commercial vehicle and not just as an extremely small niche item? For the most part we are talking imports not domestic releases and even the domestic titles are manufactured in very small quantities overseas. The interest here of course, is high - but outside of this rarefied air, it is but barely a whisper.

It certainly not flourishing but, for classical enthusiasts, there is still a stream of interesting and worthwhile releases, both new and reissued. I do not keep everything I obtain (although my wife thinks otherwise) and I discard a substantial proportion. As compensation, there is a rising tide of excellent Bluray discs which emphasize ballet and opera (things not terribly favored on SACD) in good multichannel HD. I have as little interest in non-classical music as most people have in classical, so I am speaking only from my own perspective.

Kal

2 & 1/2 years after some folks declared SACD dead, I've bought dozens of new releases. Granted most of them are 2ch. Soundboy was correct in that the goose is not yet cooked.

Linda

Nice avatar. I remember the album. Probably will get it on CD sometime in the future.

2 & 1/2 years after some folks declared SACD dead, I've bought dozens of new releases. Granted most of them are 2ch. Soundboy was correct in that the goose is not yet cooked.

Linda

True. The Mobile Fidelity and SHM-SACD releases are very well done. And of course the 3 Channel Nat King Cole SACDs are excellent and worth a listen as well.

Some SHM-SACD's are stunning, like Who Singles, Dire Straits and Innervisions. My advice would be to avoid Who's Next, Aja, Blind Faith and Wheels of Fire. I have CD's of those titles that sound better. Most Mofi SACD's sound good, though the Band titles sound awful to me.

Brett, if you buy Marrying Maiden, I recommend buying either the European CD's including it and their 1st w/White Bird. The San Francisco Sound releases from Matthew Katz pale in comparison. On LP, the European pressings with a brown cover and different artwork sound the best.

Linda

True. The Mobile Fidelity and SHM-SACD releases are very well done. And of course the 3 Channel Nat King Cole SACDs are excellent and worth a listen as well.

Thanks for the information.

[
Brett, if you buy Marrying Maiden, I recommend buying either the European CD's including it and their 1st w/White Bird. The San Francisco Sound releases from Matthew Katz pale in comparison. On LP, the European pressings with a brown cover and different artwork sound the best.

Linda[/QUOTE]

Brett, if you buy Marrying Maiden, I recommend buying either the European CD's including it and their 1st w/White Bird. The San Francisco Sound releases from Matthew Katz pale in comparison.

Can't remember which song(s?), but the San Francisco Sound CD of the first album has a single-channel tape dropout that goes on for quite a while.

As compensation, there is a rising tide of excellent Bluray discs which emphasize ballet and opera (things not terribly favored on SACD) in good multichannel HD.
Kal

There are also excellent discs that aren't ballet or opera. The series of Beethoven Symphonies with Christian Thielemann and the Chopin disc with Barenboim are a few of my recent acquisitions. All excellent.

There are also excellent discs that aren't ballet or opera. The series of Beethoven Symphonies with Christian Thielemann and the Chopin disc with Barenboim are a few of my recent acquisitions. All excellent.
I agree although I did say that there was an "emphasis" on ballet and opera, not a exclusivity. I highly recommend most of Abbado's Lucerne series.

I agree although I did say that there was an "emphasis" on ballet and opera, not a exclusivity. I highly recommend most of Abbado's Lucerne series.

I have some of the Mahler Symphonies. They are also excellent. If you take Opus Arte out of the equation for the opera and ballet BD's I think the releases would not be so many.

Has anyone compared a Blu-spec 2 CD of the same title to an original type Blu-spec CD? For example, ELO Discovery?

I ordered Time today (wasn't available on original Blu-spec) and should have it by the weekend if it really is in stock. After ordering it says out of stock so either I got the last one or someone else did.

Back