[soundandvision.com] Steve Howe of Yes talks about surround sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a little more at http://soundbard.com/heart-of-the-surround-rise-steve-howe-on-yes-in-5-1-heaven-and-earth/

My favorite line: "Surround’s a funny animal. It’s really about separation. The separation is what makes for a good surround mix. There’s some great separation in these mixes, and I suppose that’s the main point of having these 5.1 mixes." I completely agree. That's exactly what surround music is about for me. I just can't hear the various instruments in a stereo recording like I can in a good surround mix and it makes all the difference in the world for me in how I can enjoy the recording.

Also, from reading in between the lines, I have to think it's Tales that's up next. I'd be happy. Of course, I'd be happy with any of them from the 70's.

K

I am glad to hear that Howe believes that Steven Wilson may revisit "Fragile" as I found the 5.1 mix of "Roundabout" on that disc very disappointing. It goes from presentation of a lot of information in the rear channels to almost none at all, back again, etc. Perhaps there were some issues with the master tapes?

Back