Steve Howe interview: Tommorrow LP release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electric Moo

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Also talks about Topographic Oceans; there's a 2 minute intro they had to cut off from the original release. So maybe a reissue/remix of that is on the horizon, too?
That intro (to "The Revealing Science of God") was restored to the regular running order on the 2003 CD remaster, and included in Steven Wilson's stereo and 5.1 mixes as a bonus track on the Blu-ray/DVD-Audio. I doubt the classic Yes catalogue is going to get remixed again anytime soon. I'm still holding out hope for surround/immersive mixes of Going For The One, Tormato, Drama, 90125, and Big Generator, though...

Seeing as Warner just acquired the catalog, you don't think they'll want Atmos mixes of the five that were already done in 5.1?
Did they just acquire exclusive rights? All those albums were released on Atlantic, and as recently as 2003 rereleased on the same, so I'd say Warner have owned the master recordings since the '70s. It's worth noting that when the Steven Wilson Yes remixes were released by Panegyric, they were contractually unable to include the original mixes on CD, as Warner wouldn't allow it.

As for Atmos mixes, I suppose it's possible. They could certainly engage Wilson to work from the Logic sessions he already has. It really comes down to money: how much will it cost? And how much of a return can they expect?

That intro (to "The Revealing Science of God") was restored to the regular running order on the 2003 CD remaster, and included in Steven Wilson's stereo and 5.1 mixes as a bonus track on the Blu-ray/DVD-Audio. I doubt the classic Yes catalogue is going to get remixed again anytime soon. I'm still holding out hope for surround/immersive mixes of Going For The One, Tormato, Drama, 90125, and Big Generator, though...
No luck on GFTO, the master tracks are lost apparently. I don’t know about any of the other album you mentioned, but it’s a horrible thing that we can’t get a Going For The One!

Did they just acquire exclusive rights? All those albums were released on Atlantic, and as recently as 2003 rereleased on the same, so I'd say Warner have owned the master recordings since the '70s. It's worth noting that when the Steven Wilson Yes remixes were released by Panegyric, they were contractually unable to include the original mixes on CD, as Warner wouldn't allow it.

As for Atmos mixes, I suppose it's possible. They could certainly engage Wilson to work from the Logic sessions he already has. It really comes down to money: how much will it cost? And how much of a return can they expect?
The Bluray discs on those Yes 5.1 remixes did contain the original mixes as well.

Just because they're currently lost doesn't mean they can't someday be found! 🤞
The CTTE multitracks were said to be lost even after the main title track was remixed fir a big box set, yet they reappeared in time for Wilson to do his remix. The Stones ‘77 live takes from the El Macambo club we’re said to have deteriorated to the point of being unusable yet a 4 LP box came out not long ago beautifully mixed right from those horrid master reels.

My point is that it’s quite common that fans post speculation as fact. Did Wilson say he wanted to do that title? As many of us original fans of the band consider GFTO to be the first album that came “after” their peak progressive period and the beginning of their albums of less importance. Steven tends to jump ship when in his opinion the magic has been reduced or is gone. I would not be surprised if that album is simple not in the que, not happening.

The Bluray discs on those Yes 5.1 remixes did contain the original mixes as well.
Original (or early) pressing vinyl rips, too! True boxsets-on-a-disc, those releases. It's just that they could only put Steven's new mixes on the CDs, and not any of the original mixes. Licensing can be—and often is—extremely narrow in its scope, and very specific. The original mixes could be used on the Blu-rays, but not the CDs.
Did Wilson say he wanted to do that title? As many of us original fans of the band consider GFTO to be the first album that came “after” their peak progressive period and the beginning of their albums of less importance. Steven tends to jump ship when in his opinion the magic has been reduced or is gone. I would not be surprised if that album is simple not in the que, not happening.
If Yes and/or Warner want it done, they'll find somebody to mix it, even if Wilson isn't interested. That's assuming the tapes can be found, if they still exist and weren't erased/reused on some subsequent recording project.

No luck on GFTO, the master tracks are lost apparently. I don’t know about any of the other album you mentioned, but it’s a horrible thing that we can’t get a Going For The One!
I've read that the original tapes of GFTO are "unavailable" (Steven Wilson), and that Steve Howe said, in reply to a question, said that they "exist". These comments make me think the tapes aren't lost, but something/someone is holding up making them available for a remix (or other new edition).

The cover art is one of my fave Roger Dean creations.
Mine too, so good I got a signed, limited-edition giclée print of it (now up on the wall, and worth silly money):
Topographic Oceans and Captain Morgan.JPG

Back