Speakers. Cheap ones.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottmoose

500 Club - QQ All-Star
One nice thing about speakers is that you can get an awful lot of quality without paying much these days if you're careful. Since my kit was stolen, I've been thinking about ways to get performance for small outlay, so I thought I'd share this with you. Those thinking about a new pair or two -have a look at World Audio Designs website
www.worldaudiodesign.co.uk
The same company that publishes Hifi World magazine. They make some wonderful kit valve amps (I've built two for frinds, and the quality is astonishing -twice the performance of many costing three or four times the price). They also used to sell some brilliant loudspeaker kits (same comments apply about price and performance). They don't anymore, but all of the cabinet and crossover plans, specifications and descriptions of their models are on the site, and are free to use. A couple of years back, I built one of their large 2-way standmounters, the KSL8, which is one of the best speakers I've ever heard, period, and graced my parents stereo, until a visiting toddler wrecked three drivers. I'm in the process of rebuilding them now. With a little hunting, you should be able to track down the appropriate drivers, or an equivalent (all from Audax, so you can guess the quality); and knock up a blinding speaker for little more than a cheap standmounter. Crossovers are beautifully simple (as they should be), the wood-working skills needed are minimal, and they have some serious sensitivity. The KSL8 for example can rattle your teeth driven by a 3 watt valve-amp.

Thanks for the link. I'm interested in crossovers (having a nice selection of audex tweeters, etc.). This could prove interesting!

Gary

GaryP said:
Thanks for the link. I'm interested in crossovers (having a nice selection of audex tweeters, etc.). This could prove interesting!

Gary

Oh! Speakers! I thought this was a posting on where to find cheap sneakers.

Well, you'll need a good pair of speakers if you want to audition a lot of sneakers.

No, wait..... that's wrong. Sneaking the speakers thriugh the alley.... no, that's Sally thu the Alley....

Back