steely dan dvd Aja

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leevitalone1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
does anyone have this dvd? It is advertised as being music only but I have my doubts, it mentions selcted cuts from Aja album. But I think it's just interviews with fagen and becker. input?

It's "Aja". I fixed it! :)

As for the DVD, well, I would not trust it. There is a stereo SHM-SACD from Japan that's legit.

There is a classic albums dvd of the making of Aja. My guess is that's what you are referring to. The dvd cover does mention featuring cuts, which it does, they have a line up of the band playing a few cuts in the studio which clips are used throughout the disc, and as a bonus on the dvd they include the full cuts. It is an interesting documentary, some moments of Becker and Fagan in the studio playing with the multitracks, and does offer a bit of insight as to what multitracks they have and which ones are lost. I seem to recall observing that when talking about Aja and Black Cow, there was no isolating of parts, so it would seem those are missing. While when discussing Josie, Peg, Deacon Blues, and Home At Last, they had multitracks that they were listening to and commenting on.

ISTR Becker and Fagan mentioning that the multis for Black Cow and Aja are missing, in the liner notes to one of the dozen or so rereleases of Aja on CD.

I bet there's a version that has played in Elliot Scheiners Acura at some point! :)

...A few years ago I'm sure it was mentioned that Aja was next up for the same treatment as Gaucho but of course things have changed somewhat in surround sound land! - having said that Donald Fagen obviously rates hi - res surround sound formats given all of his solo stuff and recent Steely Dan releases have been released in such a format (but not Walter Becker's solo stuff for whatever reason)

Early Steely was available in Quad - later albums as DVD-A's / DTS Cd's - but not Aja - just mebbe's Becker and Fagen feel having their sonic masterpiece remixed is just too much of a risk - but I'm sure Elliot Scheiner could be the guy to trust!

There is a classic albums dvd of the making of Aja. My guess is that's what you are referring to. The dvd cover does mention featuring cuts, which it does, they have a line up of the band playing a few cuts in the studio which clips are used throughout the disc, and as a bonus on the dvd they include the full cuts. It is an interesting documentary, some moments of Becker and Fagan in the studio playing with the multitracks, and does offer a bit of insight as to what multitracks they have and which ones are lost. I seem to recall observing that when talking about Aja and Black Cow, there was no isolating of parts, so it would seem those are missing. While when discussing Josie, Peg, Deacon Blues, and Home At Last, they had multitracks that they were listening to and commenting on.

And I'd like to add, for anyone who's a fan and finds the behind-the-scenes stuff interesting, this is a must-have DVD. To hear Chuck Rainey tell the story of slapping on the chorus of "Peg" is worth the price of admission.

...A few years ago I'm sure it was mentioned that Aja was next up for the same treatment as Gaucho but of course things have changed somewhat in surround sound land! - having said that Donald Fagen obviously rates hi - res surround sound formats given all of his solo stuff and recent Steely Dan releases have been released in such a format (but not Walter Becker's solo stuff for whatever reason)

Early Steely was available in Quad - later albums as DVD-A's / DTS Cd's - but not Aja - just mebbe's Becker and Fagen feel having their sonic masterpiece remixed is just too much of a risk - but I'm sure Elliot Scheiner could be the guy to trust!

I remember reading something in the notes with the "guacho" dvd -a about them having trouble getting it done because of licensing of individual songs?? I just skimmed over it and do not have it here now, (brother has it) so can't ref. it. anyone??? But Aja I do so fucking wish they would do it in 5.1!!!!

Then the bitches will go stick it in a box.!!!! rant

Again, as the multitracks for the first two tracks are missing, it is currently impossible for there to be a remix of the whole Aja album.

Well, that one will take the finding of multi-tracks. Meanwhile......a ready to go 5.1 mix of Pretzel Logic is just sitting on the shelf, rotting away...

Well, that one will take the finding of multi-tracks. Meanwhile......a ready to go 5.1 mix of Pretzel Logic is just sitting on the shelf, rotting away...

Bugger!!!!

I didn't know about that one...

I'll take any (more) SD in surround. My preferences (in order) are:

The Royal Scam
Aja (if they find the multi-track tapes)
Countdown to Ecstasy
Can't Buy A Thrill
then Pretzel Logic.

Might have to track down some of the quad mixes... :phones

Again, as the multitracks for the first two tracks are missing, it is currently impossible for there to be a remix of the whole Aja album.

well, from "Avalon" multis of "India" was lost too but anyway mix on SACD turned out very well,
albeit track was an upmix from stereo master.
also seems quite big chunk of the tracks on "Electric Warrior" are upmixes too but still sounds good.

When DTS attempted to make a 5.1 version, it was discovered that the multitrack masters for both "Black Cow" and the title track were missing. For this same reason, a multichannel SACD version was cancelled by Universal Music. Donald Fagen has offered a $600 reward for the missing masters or any information that leads to their recovery. from wiki

Bugger!!!!

I didn't know about that one...

I'll take any (more) SD in surround. My preferences (in order) are:

The Royal Scam
Aja (if they find the multi-track tapes)
Countdown to Ecstasy
Can't Buy A Thrill
then Pretzel Logic.

Might have to track down some of the quad mixes... :phones

No Katy Lied?

Back