Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic ..double stereo?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
I have a Q8 copy of Steely Dan - Pretzel logic, and I was disappointed to find it's exactly the same as the stereo version, just a 'double stereo' version, the front and rear speakers putting out the same information. I was really disappointed because the first two Steely Dan albums have excellent agressive quad mixes. Are all the copies of the Pretzel Logic Q8 like this or did I just get one from a bad batch?

Dave..
[email protected]

I believe the Canadian Q8 is real quad, but both the US Q8s "Pretzel Logic" and "Countdown To Ecstasy" are fake. "Can't Buy A Thrill" is real quad in the US, and features noticeably different mixes. One song, "Reeling In The Years" has a rear channel reverb so overpowering the whole song sounds like it's being performed in a tunnel. All the other songs are real quad.

Also...I've had some Steely Carts come in here that were true discrete versions..but the channel assignments were all wrong. If I remember correctly, the Front Left and Rear Right were swapped.

This makes me feel so much better about not buying this cart when I saw it years ago. At the time, I was without a Q8 deck, but the $.50 would have hardly broke the bank and it would have been a neat curio anyway, being a Dan fan.

Finally, one regret I can cross off the list. :rollin:

You are all right. I have a 10" reel that I recorded all 3 US Steely Dan Q8's onto about 25 or so years ago. I finally got around to playing it into the PC for clean up and creating a "Best of Steely Dan" DTS CD. Well, Tab is right, as "Countdown to Extasy", while being discrete, has fronts and rears reversed on one side, and "Pretzel Logic" is just double stereo! If I look at the waveforms in SF, they are identical.

I actually have 3 different Q8's that I got off of eBay a while ago, and will compare those to the old reel, but I am sure that they are the same.

How could Pretzel Logic be so bad? I wonder if the QS is better. Maybe I will check that out later,,,,.....

:-jon

Back