StereoMonic - some Mono/Stereo vinyl LP history

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking simplicity - just using phase reversals to encode LB and RB for the stereo release , no time spent on a separate stereo mix and not compromising the discrete quad mix, mono folddown/compatibility would be what it is.

(stereo to mono folddown is fraught with problems too, since there can be any phase relationship between L and R, the resulting mono may be missing some sounds)

Maybe RCA and the WEA group could have been convinced to do this sort of simple encoding for their dual inventory stereo LPs if they became convinced they could slow down the adoption of SQ and QS.

Kirk Bayne
I had always assumed from day one that all new releases were going to be encoded. Sadly that never happened. A simple encode system like EV-4 or Dyna could have been used with little impairment for stereo listeners. Mono compatibility would be better with SQ. Single inventory quad could of helped with quads eventual acceptance.

For some time now I have mused about QS Surround mode being used as an actual matrix system. It would be simple stereo with out of phase information added to fill in across the rear. Regular stereo records would reproduce almost as good in 270° surround!

Back