Stereophile - Ultimate Surround Sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cai Campbell

In Remembrance
Since 2002/2003
The June 2004 issue of Stereophile just came out and on the cover they feature the fabled Fosgate FAP V1 7.1 channel Dolby Prologic II tubed surround-sound pre-amp. Accompanying the photo of this beautiful beast are the words "Ultimate Surround Sound". I'm sure Stereophile will receive a slew of letters from diehard stereophiles decrying blasphemy. :p

Anyway, I was blown away to see Jim Fosgate's tubed masterpiece on the cover of Stereophile. I've been lusting after one of these ever since I first read about it, but I didn't think it would ever make it to production. At 13 grand, I'm going to have to be content with lust, but it sure is purty to look at. Kalman Rubinson gives the unit an enthusiastically positive review.

Combine this unit with 6 mono tube amps, or a 5.1 if they make it, and wow, talk about ultimate sound. I suspect it would blow all other surround systems away. :smokin

I saw this too and was impressed! I wonder how many folks will just pass over this part of the issue. :(

JonUrban said:
I saw this too and was impressed! I wonder how many folks will just pass over this part of the issue. :(

Hopefully only a misguided few who still operate under the rather odd, but prevelent misaprehension that 'stereo' means 2 speakers...
Assuming that the number of speakers in general is indicative of the number of channels dates back nearly sixty years now and it's amazing that people haven't wised up to the fact yet, especially as you can get an extra surround channel out of stero gear for almost no outlay. Strange to think that the 2 speaker 'stereo' brigade harp on about surround being 'un-natural'; yet athe simplest form of surround; a basic Hafler circuit, added to a stereo setup in fact makes it considerably more accurate by placing all the out of phase stuff where it belongs -behind you.
Ah well, their loss.
Scott

Last edited:
After reading the issue, it was comforting to see a number of positive letters printed regarding surround-sound. It would appear that many audiophiles are finally coming around to realizing that surround-sound is not the demon they once thought it was. It will be interesting to see what kind of response Stereophile elicits from this current issue.

Conrad Johnson makes a 6 channel power amp, but I thiink its in their solid state line, not tube; and its pretty cheap compared to 13 grand - more like about three, if I recall.
I think I would shoot for a couple of their stereo tube amps, though. I guess I don't dream as big as some of you!
Marc

I picked up a copy of Stereophile to read this review. It is an impressive looking piece. However I was disapointed that he did not try it with an analog front end. Further He did not even metion whether the preamp has a phono stage!

fdrennen said:
I picked up a copy of Stereophile to read this review. It is an impressive looking piece. However I was disapointed that he did not try it with an analog front end. Further He did not even metion whether the preamp has a phono stage!

1- No analog sources available in that system.
2- The unit has no phono stage, else it would have been mentioned and assessed.

Kal

Back