Steve Wilson/Porcupine Tree

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They really sound like no one else. Best description: Rush meets Nine Inch Nails and party with Jethro Tull while making out with Pink Floyd. :D
They're both heavy and melodic at the same time. A rarity. Get Deadwing and you won't regret it.

You really cannot describe what they are like.
They are one of those rare acts where every time you think you have got them placed, they go & change on you. Hard to describe.
Very aggressive surround mixes - and they get it right too. Doesn't sound gimmicky at all - just well crafted songs.

Both In Absentia & Deadwing are well worth buying IMHO.

neil wilkes said:
Both In Absentia & Deadwing are well worth buying IMHO.

I listned to some sound bites on Amazon, and it sounds like music I'd like.

I got a bid on Absentia....Thanks for the information.

Thanks for posting the interview link, that was entertaining and informative. Steve Wilson is fairly amazing in terms of output and intent. Within Porcupine Tree he has the vehicle to make outstanding records that garner attention.

Each vehicle I have (and spare copy for rental cars) sports a Deadwing road edition. It is the 9 album tracks with 2 non-LP tracks that almost made it. So Called Friend and Half-Light, finishing off with Drown With Me (an absolutely joyous track from the previous In Absentia sessions).

So Called Friend and Half-Light were the album closer before Glass Arm Shattering was written and took it's place as the album finish. These tracks are available on the Lazarus CD single (Europe) and the double vinyl edition of Deadwing.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

First time in my life I have ever heard a band and gone out in search of absolutely everything that they have made. I agree too about the different nature or style of each album.You can hear SW learning his trade but above all keeping it interesting for himself ( and us )

Highly Recommended ,
M

jrahrah said:
Their domain registration seems to have expired .. hope that will be fixed so I can read it too :(
edit: I found it in the, oh so useful, Google cache :cool: .

manmc said:
I agree too about the different nature or style of each album.
Yes, it's interesting (if you like PT of course). Even on (e.g. 12 year) older tracks you often recognise sounds, parts or themes that have been reused in different form on the later albums. Steven Wilson doing many side projects gives alot of diverse influences. I personally don't care much for the (early) drug inspired theme (Voyage 34, Up the Downstair) but I like the music and at least it's not about broken relationships :rolleyes: (overused subject in popular music).
To me In Absentia is their peak (y) (until now that is :) )

Last edited:
Back