Steven Wilson Live in DC - A review!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyCuff

600 Club - QQ All-Star
I attended the show at the Howard Saturday night in DC and it was phenominal! Everybody was dialed in and the crowd was loving it. I spent most of my time down on the floor where I thought the sound was excellent. Plenty of bass, but Guthrie's guitar and everyone else had no problem being heard. Steven's playing was exceptional, and his voice now days is so pitch perfect. He sounds just as good live as in the studio. The last person I could say that about was another Steven (Steve Perry from Journey - yeah I know but I am just comparing pitch control). Another thing, Steven's connection to the crowd was very natural and outgoing, more so than the two other times I have seen him. He was downright funny at times, British humor of course, go figure...

Anyway the rest of the band was nailing it too. Guthrie and Adam are so talented it is amazing, and I feel privileged to watch artists such as this that otherwise I may have never heard of. Theo's versatility on all the wind instruments just boggles the mind. Marco was on fire I thought, and killed it at the end of Raider II. It would have been cool to see Chad, but I don't see how it could have done it any better. Last but not least, Nick's grooves on the bass and stick solidified the whole thing and his singing contributions were also spot on. He was obviously really enjoying himself.

Inside, they were selling record store day picture discs so I picked up one of those. After the show we waited outside and got to meet some of the band (except Adam and Theo who I think may be a little bit more reclusive). Guthrie was outside the door first having a cigarette, then Nick, and finally Steven. My niece snuck inside and got Theo's autograph on the record, but never found Adam. Guthrie was mellow and laid back but chatted with us for several minutes. Nick when he came out later was very cool and outgoing. Steven was very gracious , and was happy to sign autographs, take photos, and talk with us. My wife commented that they were all so nice, and I think she was a little surprised by how cordial they all were.

Contrary to some other reviews from previous venues, I did not get what you would call a quadraphonic experience. AFAIK the rears were mainly used for sound effects, which like the videos, were a little creepy. I thought it added to the experience, and created the mood Steven wanted to achieve. Bottom Line, great show, certainly in my top five of all time!

Oh, crap! %$#&#&#6""%%$&

Steven Wilson played yesterday in Santiago de Chile. Yeah and the end of the world where I live... and I just knew form a friend who asked me today: "Did you go to Wilson las night?"

WHAT??!!! he was here???

please someone slap me in the face for being stupid

Back