Steven Wilson - The Raven that Refused to Sing (and other stories) CD/BluRay released Feb. 25th

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reviews: Canada
http://ca.music.yahoo.com/blogs/new-this-week/amok-not-spelled-backwards-094254513.html
Steven Wilson: The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) (Kscope) It would be very easy to write off the prolific Steven Wilson as a man with his hand in too many pies: Aside from his excellent, prog-inspired work with Porcupine Tree, he’s been deeply involved in numerous collaborations for nearly 20 years, done spectacularly remixing the catalogs of the likes of King Crimson, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Caravan and Jethro Tull, and released a number of distinctively memorable albums all on his own. This is another one, and it’s very good. Recorded live in a Los Angeles studio and featuring a worthy band (guitarist Guthrie Govan, bassist Nick Beggs, saxophonist Theo Travis, keyboardist Adam Holzman, and drummer Marco Minnemann), The Raven features six lengthy songs, all of which are exquisitely arranged, surprisingly substantial in terms of pure songwriting, and—speaking of old prog ties—engineered by no less than Alan Parsons himself. It’s thoughtful stuff, and for a man who seems to make a record nearly every week, notably distinctive from the rest of his catalog. It’s actually kind of weird that he exists!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Progressive rock, Rock Music, Something Else! Interviews, Uncategorized — February 26, 2013 at 9:14 am
Something Else! Interview: Steven Wilson on classic ’70s sounds, prog’s rebirth and his amazing new album
by Nick DeRiso
Read on: http://somethingelsereviews.com/201...unds-progs-rebirth-and-his-amazing-new-album/

NICK DERISO: In an age in which everything is punched in, overdubbed and shared via the Internet, you gathered your working band in a single room to perform and record The Raven. What are the benefits of doing things the old-fashioned way?
STEVEN WILSON: This is interesting, and it’s something that very much came about as a consequence of working on the back catalog you referred to — the Crimson albums, the Tull albums. I started to notice that one of the things that should have been really obvious, but wasn’t until I actually went inside the music, is that this is a bunch of guys in a tiny room, all facing each other, playing live. Sure, they would go back and overdub a vocal or a keyboard part or a flute part, whatever it was, but ultimately 90 percent of what you were listening to was live. One of the reasons those albums sound so exciting, so vibrant, is because of that. The drummer is speeding up, and slowing down. The singer is not always in tune. The guitar player is fluffing notes left, right and center. And you know what? It sounds fantastic! It sounds like human beings, relating in a room. There is a chemistry there that you simply don’t get when you control everything to the Nth degree, and do it in a more modular way. Now, that modular way is the way I have always made records. So it was a bit scary, actually — honestly — to suddenly say “I’m giving up this control. I’m going to record this pretty much live in the studio. I’m not going to control every aspect. I’m not going to care if it’s not perfect,” because I realize now that that’s what I like about these records that I’m talking about. There is a kind of danger, or edge, to the records because they’re not perfect. They can sound beautiful, like pieces of art. But the performances have to be edited, in an effort to be perfect. In fact, it’s quite the contrary. When you do that, you end up with something that is kind of very bland. It’s lost all the blood and guts. That was an epiphany when I was working on all of these old records. I really missed the feeling of that in a lot of modern records — so I hope, in a way, we’ve gotten a little of that back on this one.

So we'll all sit down and try to play in time,
and we feel like singing.
Talking to people in my way.
- Ian Anderson

Got my copy of the CD/DVD today.

Simply superb in every way, from the audio to the packaging.

A definitive 5.1 album.

P.S. Is there a poll for the DTS/DD version? I can see the Blu Ray one but nothing else...?

The HiRez Poll entry for the Blu-Ray has been created. If you got the disc early, please post your findings in the new thread so future searches on this title will point to the Poll thread and not this pre-release thread.

THANKS!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?17366

I got mine last night and immediately converted it for the car. WOW. On first listen, I can clearly say that the surround mix is a 10 all the way. I LOVE SW surround mixes. He knows how to do it and they're great.

Some of the songs jump out on first listen as classics. I want to play this thing a few more times all the way through in the car, and again at home before I vote, but it could be a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. It's a gem! :)

I listened to it twice last night. You clearly hear the influences of his work on ELP and King Crimson coming through especially in the extended instrumental sections. The surround mix is really good and I need to spend some more time actively listening to what all he does with it. The title track is really moving. I haven't tried the hi res DTS yet, but the LPCM sounded awesome through the BDP-95's analog outs. Highly recommended. I'll vote after a few more listens.

Hey- I am wondering where the 40 page booklet is? It is listed on the outer label of the Blu-Ray. Is the booklet contained in the video content of the disc? Thanks.

ohh I hope that's the case...I haven't seen an image of the Blu Ray that has that notice .... I'm expecting it Monday and will post if no one else does regarding this

Edit: Surprise surprise...it arrived today...it contains a physical 6 page booklet of lyrics and credits...but a sticker on the front does mention a 40 page booklet...I don't have a blu ray player accessible at work..so stay tuned for a final confirmation...but confidence is high :-D

Last edited:
Hey- I am wondering where the 40 page booklet is? It is listed on the outer label of the Blu-Ray. Is the booklet contained in the video content of the disc? Thanks.

This info was listed on the Burning Shed website;
Please note that there is an error on the box sticker on this title. It lists the booklet as being 40 pages. It is only 8 pages.

So, no 40 page book for the Blu ray.

This info was listed on the Burning Shed website;
Please note that there is an error on the box sticker on this title. It lists the booklet as being 40 pages. It is only 8 pages.

So, no 40 page book for the Blu ray.

:(

I purchased the deluxe edition and one thing that surprises me is that only a few of the stories were included. After reading a recent interview where SW explains what each of the songs is about I have a much greater appreciation for the music. Songs like Drive Home and The Pin Drop have ambiguous lyrics but when you know what these songs are about the emotional impact gets ramped up a few notches when you listen to them understanding what they're about.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guit...at-refused-to-sing-and-other-stories-570809/1

It is very well worth buying too.
2CD, a DVD & the BluRay - plus the all important book, where you get the stories in prose form as well.

Hi: i have received my Blu ray edition yesterday and it has an issue. The luminol track stops always in the 3:51 minute. Someone else with this issue?

Back